• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Just play Emerald, it's the superior of the 3 and merges plots of Ruby and Sapphire together. For a starter, pick either Torchic or Mudkip, never choose grass-types as starters, save for few exceptions, they suck. Pure Grass-types have:
* lots of weaknesses, few resistances, no immunity
* plain move set
* bad stat distribution
* also Sceptile's signature move is Leaf Blade (a physical attack) despite the Pokemon having higher special attack

For Swampert and Blaziken, Swampert is a great wall/tank while still having a very decent offense, while Blaziken has better offense but is more fragile. But in a battle, Swampert defeats Blaziken, so overall, the best Hoenn starter is Mudkip.

I agree with this. Emerald I always saw as the best Pokemon game of the series. And as far as starters go, you can't go wrong as long as you do not pick Treecko. I picked Treecko once and could not beat the second gym!

Alternatively, get Treecko, then get Taillow. As long as its at least Lv 13 (so it knows Wing Attack), it should be able to take care of Brawly's Pokémon fairly easily (even more so if you train it up to the same level as his team).

Also worth noting is that, in Gen III, all Grass-type moves were Special, so Leaf Blade does work off of Sceptile's stronger stat.

Actually, unless your Taillow is incredibly powerful, you'll need to get it to Brawly's levels. None of the Starters really fare well against Brawly's heavy hits, in my experience. Marshtomp might be best because he can handle them better, but overall it's best to have a Flying-Type to help with him.

I'd like to mention that I've never had issues with Sceptile--at least, no more than I've had with any other starter.

Well, I WAS a lot younger when I played the game with Treecko as my starter. Maybe I should try using him when ORAS come out.

Of course, I'm a bit biased since Treecko is one of my favorite Pokemon ever xP It could be that I just don't notice his faults that much. Or I might have conveniently happened to have good 'Mons to back him up. I don't know :p

Okay, so I have been doing some poking around on the internet looking for a good copy of Pokémon Red Version, for the Gameboy, or course. I had played all three of the Generation I games ad nauseam on my Gameboy, but I lost Red quite a few years back. While looking I noticed something different about some of the cartridges. Some of them, on the bottom-left of the label where it displays the ESRB Rating, or "The Big E" as I called it as a little kid, the E is solid black. But on other pictures of the cartidges, the big E is white with a black outline on it. In case this description is too vague, I have attached two pictures showing what I mean. My old Blue Version cartridge has the solid black E on it, and so does my Yellow. Can anyone tell me if the ones with the black outlines are fake, or a different variation of the cartridge?View attachment 95166View attachment 95167

Well I know that I have two Yellow versions, one with the black 'E' and one with the white one. As far as I know, they're both completely legitimate.

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Question: Has anyone encountered the chain fishing rain summoning phenomena? I kind of ran into it this morning while chain fishing for shinnies. After a series of hooks, it started to rain in the over world after I cast my reel (not when I entered battle, actually came sweeping across the screen out of nowhere) I have never seen rain come out of nowhere until this morning, usually I've always ran into rain only when coming into frame from another route, city or coming out of a building. A friend of mine just happened to coincidentally mention "Rain summoning" so I want to know if this is a honest to god thing, or just dumb luck that it happened to start raining on me out of the blue? I know in X Y if you wait long enough in one place, night and day will transition, so maybe weather is the same way? ~~~~

@Yamitora1; Hmmm I've never heard of that but I'm very sure that's happened tome twice but I wasn't fishing or near water, first time was on the route before Snowbelle city and the second time was in the last town/city you get access to post game (Can't spell its name so won't even try)
But as to whether that increases chances I don't know but I very much doubt it. Plus the games have been out for months and I've never heard about it and any tips or anything released I'm first to know.

I think what's happening is that chain fishing is keeping you in one area for a longer period of time, which allows you to to see the rain as it comes in (otherwise, the chances of you being in an area at exactly the point the rain changes is much smaller). The same thing would happen to me when I was Pokéradar chaining for Goomy.

While there is the possibility that there is some sort of odd "rain summoning" mechanic in the game code, I think it's more likely due to this indirect factor.

Okay, so I have been doing some poking around on the internet looking for a good copy of Pokémon Red Version, for the Gameboy, or course. I had played all three of the Generation I games ad nauseam on my Gameboy, but I lost Red quite a few years back. While looking I noticed something different about some of the cartridges. Some of them, on the bottom-left of the label where it displays the ESRB Rating, or "The Big E" as I called it as a little kid, the E is solid black. But on other pictures of the cartidges, the big E is white with a black outline on it. In case this description is too vague, I have attached two pictures showing what I mean. My old Blue Version cartridge has the solid black E on it, and so does my Yellow. Can anyone tell me if the ones with the black outlines are fake, or a different variation of the cartridge?View attachment 95166View attachment 95167

So, the ESRB logos all used to look like the white with static-like black outline around it up until around 2000, when they were replaced by the solid-black-letter variant. Because of this, when Pokémon Red and Blue were first released in the U.S., they used the old static-outline version of the ESRB rating logo on their boxes and cartridges. My guess is that the production of the original games lasted long enough that they were still being produced when the new ESRB logos were introduced, so they carry the newer logo. The fact that you have old cartridges where this is the case seems to support this idea. So, to answer your question, no, the ones with the black-static-outline are not (necessarily) fake; they would just be older cartridges.

With that being said, Pokémon Red and Blue cartridges are amazingly valuable, so they are very prone to being faked. I believe that there are other threads on the forum (or just online in general) that can help you figure out what to look for with real vs fake cartridges; you might want to ask them for further advice on seraching.

Could you perhaps point me torwards a couple threads that could help identifying fakes? And also, when you say that the cartidges are valuable, about how valuable do you think they are? Because there are people online selling their old games for as low as 30 bucks, which I find highly suspicious.

So, the ESRB logos all used to look like the white with static-like black outline around it up until around 2000, when they were replaced by the solid-black-letter variant. Because of this, when Pokémon Red and Blue were first released in the U.S., they used the old static-outline version of the ESRB rating logo on their boxes and cartridges. My guess is that the production of the original games lasted long enough that they were still being produced when the new ESRB logos were introduced, so they carry the newer logo. The fact that you have old cartridges where this is the case seems to support this idea. So, to answer your question, no, the ones with the black-static-outline are not (necessarily) fake; they would just be older cartridges.

With that being said, Pokémon Red and Blue cartridges are amazingly valuable, so they are very prone to being faked. I believe that there are other threads on the forum (or just online in general) that can help you figure out what to look for with real vs fake cartridges; you might want to ask them for further advice on seraching.

Could you perhaps point me torwards a couple threads that could help identifying fakes? And also, when you say that the cartidges are valuable, about how valuable do you think they are? Because there are people online selling their old games for as low as 30 bucks, which I find highly suspicious.

Well, I suppose it depends on used vs. new. For used, I could see it going that low (a videogame price guide has the average price set at $18-19, but I'm not sure how much I believe you'll actually find that price). New would go into the $100-200 range at least, but I'm assuming you don't really care about that. Worth noting though, is that depending on how much the used cartridges were played, you may also need to buy (and install) a new battery for them in order to actually play the games.

Also, I must apologize, I was thinking of the "How to Spot a Bootleg" thread in the Toys and Collectibles Forum. I don't know if we have a "Bootleg Game" thread on here - anyone else know of one? I was able to find a more general one elsewhere online, so that might be able to help.

Does anyone know how the Balloon Popping game on the PGL works? I mean, I know how to play it, but how does the game determine which rewards you get? Is it based off of your rank at the end, or completely random? Same with the Graffiti Eraser game

So I finally got a 3ds and i'm gonna be getting Pokemon X later on today and I was just wondering if i can still get the free trial and the Celebi that comes with Pokemon Bank, and how long does the trial last? I don't know how any of this Pokebank stuff works lol.

So I finally got a 3ds and i'm gonna be getting Pokemon X later on today and I was just wondering if i can still get the free trial and the Celebi that comes with Pokemon Bank, and how long does the trial last? I don't know how any of this Pokebank stuff works lol.
You cant get the free trial anymore, but if you buy bank before september you can still get celebi.

This is a slightly strange question, but I'm curious. Since there's 'Johto' location data in the coding of DPP (and presumably HGSS) that ended up going unused in those games, if a Pokemon was hacked to have it and migrated to Gen V, what would the location data read? I'd assume it'd revert back to 'Sinnoh' if the Pokemon was caught there, but I'd be interested to find out.

You cant get the free trial anymore, but if you buy bank before september you can still get celebi.
Cool, thanks for answering my question! x is good so far.

Aside from having a Pokemon with Cute Charm lead your party, is there anything else that can be used to increase chances of Pokemon of the opposite gender appearing in wild encounters?

Aside from having a Pokemon with Cute Charm lead your party, is there anything else that can be used to increase chances of Pokemon of the opposite gender appearing in wild encounters?

No, I don't believe there is. Cute Charm is the only thing that can influence that as far as I know.

This is a slightly strange question, but I'm curious. Since there's 'Johto' location data in the coding of DPP (and presumably HGSS) that ended up going unused in those games, if a Pokemon was hacked to have it and migrated to Gen V, what would the location data read? I'd assume it'd revert back to 'Sinnoh' if the Pokemon was caught there, but I'd be interested to find out.
Why would it have to be hacked?

Because Pokemon from HGSS don't display the location data 'Johto' in DPP: instead, they display 'Faraway Place'. Essentially, the 'Johto' location data in those games isn't used for anything, and can only be obtained by hacking.

Because Pokemon from HGSS don't display the location data 'Johto' in DPP: instead, they display 'Faraway Place'. Essentially, the 'Johto' location data in those games isn't used for anything, and can only be obtained by hacking.

I see. I never noticed that it had a different location in Diamond and Pearl. I would try this out right now to answer your question if I had a cheating device.

I see. I never noticed that it had a different location in Diamond and Pearl. I would try this out right now to answer your question if I had a cheating device.

I would too, but I'm not a terribly good hacker. Hopefully someone good at hacking will try it out ^^

I remember vaguly hearing or reading somewhere that there are pokemon in black 2 that shiny locked i was wondering if someone could tell be if this is true and possibly give me a list

I remember vaguly hearing or reading somewhere that there are pokemon in black 2 that shiny locked i was wondering if someone could tell be if this is true and possibly give me a list

Reshiram and Zekrom are shiny locked, also all Dream World Pokemon in Entree forest and Hidden Grotto Pokemon are also shiny locked. Other than that, I don't think there are any others.

According to the Shiny Pokemon page on Bulbapedia and adding to what Shiny Celebi said, Keldeo, Meloetta and Victini are also shiny locked.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom