• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Smallest Orchid found by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicoleta01

Reaction score
The world's smallest orchid is just 2.1mm wide, with transparent petals that are just one cell thick. It comes from the Platystele genus, which is made up of mostly miniature plants.
American scientist Lou Jost found the tiny flower by accident among the roots of a larger plant that he had collected from the Cerro Candelaria reserve in the eastern Andes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1232106/Smallest-orchid-world-accident-2mm-wide.html

Picture of the flower in the link~

I gotta wonder how a small plant could pollinate amongst the larger plants of the rainforest. But still a nice find, and the flower is quite pretty. =O

You're a biologist, right? Tell me, please. One cell thick - how the hell does that hold up?

You're a biologist, right? Tell me, please. One cell thick - how the hell does that hold up?

Cells are pretty dang strong. I can't say how it's held up, but it's only that thick in the petals and the stem looks thick enough to hold itself up too. Seeing how it's probably close to the ground anyways, gravity more than likely is a minor role.

Also consider that the petal is probably made up of several cells, just only 1 cell thick too. It's easier to support something if you have other stuff around you.

I didn't know plant organisms grew that small!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom