• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation: Ways Legends Z-A could affect Horizons?

Being in a different universe? Sure.
Ash dying because his body quit on him? That is some Deviantart fanfic nonsense right there.
What about some thug who injured Ash really bad to the point poor Ash succumbed to his injuries? While unlikely, it’s a remote possibility.

What about some thug who injured Ash really bad to the point poor Ash succumbed to his injuries? While unlikely, it’s a remote possibility.
Not really. They aren't going to kill off their iconic protagonist. That's just edgy fan fic logic as opposed to something that they'd realistically do with the anime.

Because TV shows having continuity reboots is not an usual thing and I really can't understand how 'Well there's still Nurse Joys in the new anime and one character based on a generic NPC who appeared in one episode of the Ash-era of the anime appears in Horizons (and considering it's a generic NPC-based character, it's probably not even the same guy lol)' is somehow proof that the two series are 100% definitively the same continuity.

Nurse Joys are generic characters as are the Ingredients Sellers in Galar (IDK why the dub called them a hiker but whatever).

Also yeah of course Horizons has a lot of the same staff as the previous series, they're not gonna fire them all and hire an all-new staff.
That also doesn’t prove it’s not in the same universe.

And if they wanted a full continuity reboot, why wouldn’t they have just used another alternate universe Ash instead of making new characters? Liko and Roy only exist because Ash’s story is done, which wouldn’t be the case if this was an alternate universe where nothing we saw from the past 26 years happened.

Last edited:
Not really. They aren't going to kill off their iconic protagonist. That's just edgy fan fic logic as opposed to something that they'd realistically do with the anime.
But again it’s a possibility. Highly unlikely though.
I would like to ask you why you believe this is even a remote possibility in the first place just to understand how you drew this conclusion.
Anything is possible. Plus when Journeys ended, I felt we were left with more questions than answers.

But again it’s a possibility. Highly unlikely though.
No, it isn't a possibility. They aren't going to kill off Ash. It would be unnecessarily dark and not really fitting with the tone of the anime. Not to mention it would just be rather depressing and insulting to do that after he was the protagonist for decades.

This Variety interview with TPCI executives has been making the rounds online today:

IMG_7261.jpeg

The wording clearly implies that Horizons is in the same world as Ash’s adventures. And on top of that, he’s “still in the world”. Can we finally put the alternate continuity and death theories to rest now and accept this is the same timeline as always?

Last edited by a moderator:
This Variety interview with TPCI executives has been making the rounds online today:

View attachment 184605

The wording clearly implies that Horizons is in the same world as Ash’s adventures. And on top of that, he’s “still in the world”. Can we finally put the alternate continuity and death theories to rest now and accept this is the same timeline as always?
I just heard (from Serebii) that TPCi has nothing to do with the production of the series, so their words do not confirm anything.

I've said from the beginning that Ash appearing or being acknowledged in Horizons is entirely contingent on whether or not the show is underperforming to the point where they need a desperate backpedaling ratings boost. This has not happened yet, so I'm assuming it's doing the numbers the suits were looking for.

I agree that its probably the same timeline, but this doesn't really confirm it. All its really saying is "Yep, Ash sure is still adventuring all right" 'The pokemon world' is just a vague term and doesn't really mean same pokemon world.

I've said from the beginning that Ash appearing or being acknowledged in Horizons is entirely contingent on whether or not the show is underperforming to the point where they need a desperate backpedaling ratings boost. This has not happened yet, so I'm assuming it's doing the numbers the suits were looking for.
Would they have replaced Ash if they were worried about Horizons flopping if they replaced him? I think not.

I agree that its probably the same timeline, but this doesn't really confirm it. All its really saying is "Yep, Ash sure is still adventuring all right" 'The pokemon world' is just a vague term and doesn't really mean same pokemon world.
That’s really splitting hairs in this scenario though. It’s obvious that in the context of this interview at least, that the “Pokemon World” they’re referring to is the Anipoke Universe/Timeline. It’s obvious the intent of their response was to say that “Ash is still out there somewhere while the Horizons cast are doing their thing”. It inherently implies it’s the same timeline. Taking away anything other than that just feels like nonsense to me.

I’m truly baffled that people are overthinking the whole universe/timeline/continuity thing this much. It’s not rocket science.

Would they have replaced Ash if they were worried about Horizons flopping if they replaced him? I think not.
The fact that Ash's story is left open ended has been largely interpreted as a safety net for the creative team. It makes it extremely easy for them to bring him back whether it's as a special, movie, making him the protagonist again or whatever. Even if Horizons wasn't doing well enough for the higher ups, I think that they'd keep Liko and Roy at least until Horizons wraps up. Maybe they weren't too worried about Horizons flopping with new leads, but making it easy to potentially bring your iconic protagonist back for whatever reason can be read as such.

The fact that Ash's story is left open ended has been largely interpreted as a safety net for the creative team. It makes it extremely easy for them to bring him back whether it's as a special, movie, making him the protagonist again or whatever. Even if Horizons wasn't doing well enough for the higher ups, I think that they'd keep Liko and Roy at least until Horizons wraps up. Maybe they weren't too worried about Horizons flopping with new leads, but making it easy to potentially bring your iconic protagonist back for whatever reason can be read as such.
You make a fair point. A very fair point.

Assuming the aforementioned backpedal doesn't occur I expect Ash to eventually return in 10-15 years when they do the "all previous protags return" fanservice season. Like there'll be a scene in a climactic arc where Liko, Roy and the following 3 anime protag sets are getting destroyed by a Gen 12 DLC mascot only for adult Ash to swoop down on Charizard's back for an epic save

I feel Ash stayed around too long. He should have been replaced after Kalos. He should have won the Kalos League but somebody didn’t want him to win. The writing got much worse after XYZ.

Back
Top Bottom