• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Strange/annoying things in the manga

Shiny Noctowl

Go! PikaBot!
Reaction score
What things in the manga (any of them, not just Pokespe) have you found strange or annoying?

Mine:
Pokespe: The fact that for the English translation I'm forced to choose between a flipped but fairly good translation and an unflipped but horribly butchered translation
EToP: Viz's censorship
DPA: The Shaymin special chapter, which was just shameless movie 11 promotion
Phantom Thief: The presence of a volume number when it's only one volume

On the subject of Phantom Thief: I noticed on Bulbapedia that Chuang Yi adapted "Rock-sama" as "Grand Master Rocco" but it didn't say how they adapted Rocco referring to Lily as "Lily-chan"; could someone with the Chuang Yi version see what they did?

Pokespe: The fact that Yellow and Emearld exists, and Emearld is a boy. A crazy boy. Also Red can't come up with good nicknames. "Pika" and "Saur", seriously?

DPA: Mistumi is a ex-galatic member yet she's so young, and she rejoins GT only to be ex-member again. I know she was forced to join, but in my opinion it could be kinda of cool if still was on team galatic and be something like a spy for Hareta, Jun, and the rest of the good guys. If only she wasn't so sensitive(?), sign.

Edit: Let me space that so I don't get any "tl;dr."

I've seen the original images in Electric Tale. Trust me, Viz did us a favor. There's a difference between an editor doing it because they don't want to have dodgy material and doing it because holy crap my lower back hurts just LOOKING at it.

As for Mitsumi, she was taken in as a child. Animeverse has Domino, who's a Rocket elite even younger than Mitsumi, and no one questions that. Although Mitsumi's history has an even bigger wtf moment--if Cyrus was the one who found her and took her to the team, how the hell old was HE at the time? Granted, Ihara wrote that part before Platinum told us that Cyrus is younger than we thought, but still.

Good thing about the censorship in EToP. Just take a look at the removed scene from the Eevee Evolution Brothers chapter. That is supposed to be for 10 year olds???

Good thing about the censorship in EToP. Just take a look at the removed scene from the Eevee Evolution Brothers chapter. That is supposed to be for 10 year olds???

Never seen it.

I hate the american censorship of the special though. It made Blue jsut a little less awesome.

EDIT: OH! THAT image.

Pokespe: The fact that for the English translation I'm forced to choose between a flipped but fairly good translation and an unflipped but horribly butchered translation
Surely the Singapore (and poorer) translation is flipped? Viz Media's translation is pretty solid.

Anyway, it's been about a decade since I read EtoP so I can't remember...however:

Adventures:
- Viz Media keeping with the Blue/Green name-swap, although the 2nd Editions were released after FRLG (In fact, HGSS sticking with Blue confuses me).
- Yellow's battle with Lance. What was that?!

Surely the Singapore (and poorer) translation is flipped? Viz Media's translation is pretty solid.

The Singaporean translation isn't censored.

- Yellow's battle with Lance. What was that?!

I don't understand. I stopped reading the new versions after the BlueGreen vs. Sabrina fight.

Censoring one page isn't the same as censoring an entire series. To say nothing of that Viz was a-ok with that same shot in their original translation (which makes the new one just plain baffling, but come on people).

What was wrong with Yellow vs. Lance?
Just seemed too plot orientated. Lance had Pokémon like Dragonite...in comparison, Yellow had rubbish. I admit, the way she used Butterfree to make herself fly was cool, but the sudden evolutions of almost her entire team was bleh. Also, how did most of them stay in the air?

Luckily, Blue and Koga vs Agatha made up for it by being full of epicness.

The Singaporean translation isn't censored.
There was only one bit of censorship, which was the booball scene with Green vs Sabrina. Only one panel of art, and a few speech bubbles edited.

Just seemed too plot orientated. Lance had Pokémon like Dragonite...in comparison, Yellow had rubbish. I admit, the way she used Butterfree to make herself fly was cool, but the sudden evolutions of almost her entire team was bleh. Also, how did most of them stay in the air?

It doesn't matter that Yellow's Pokémon were bad because their levels were about twice as high as Lance's.

There was only one bit of censorship, which was the booball scene with Green vs Sabrina. Only one panel of art, and a few speech bubbles edited.

They'll probably change the scene where Gold meets BlueGreen. And the scene where Archie tells Ruby and Sapphire to die and go to hell.

They'll probably change the scene where Gold meets BlueGreen. And the scene where Archie tells Ruby and Sapphire to die and go to hell.

On that first one, I hope not.

Being serious here, I thought censoring the booball thing was stupid. Special is already darker and edgier and that frankly was a very creative strategy, even if that entire page was a giant innuendo (it can't have been an accident that Blue's two pokemon are round and pink).

And what they changed it too was just lame.

Still, at least what they changed it to made sense. Although the random "Gotcha" did seem a tad out of place. Still, to fit it under the "Vizkids" line, I guess the more suggestive stuff has to be taken out.

Given all the butt jokes in DPA, Gold patting someone's butt probably won't be altered. And since Hell is being used as a noun in Archie's line, you never know (it was used in Disney's Sleeping Beauty, after all. Granted that was made something like 50 years ago, but still).

I was shocked to hear the word "Sexy" on Fairly Odd Parents. While they may not keep those exact words, I doubt they'd remove the actual action.

They changed Misty's line about thinking that Red was groping her.

And then they kept the Tentacool line in the newspaper.

Except that in this case it has a sexual connotation (Gold's line is, "Who's this sexy lady?").

So? All they have to do is change the line - "Who's this hotty?" would suffice. Besides it's a gag panel anyway. It's up to the translator, and the person who came up with that probably didn't think there are easier, more acceptable ways to do it instead of translating it literally. One con for the Singapore version.

Anyway...

Adventures/Special: I always hate it how everyone always brings up lame reasons why English translated versions of this series sucks/will suck because of the censorship - which is necessary of course, seeing how this is released under the VizKids line. Then people bring up situations from the series that will almost always be censored in their minds, like Archie's line being "Die and go to hell." You realize that there are many ways to translate that and still sound good to fit the target demographic? And then the fans act like one censored scene will ruin the entire manga, or one censored threat, etc.

My second pet peeve is when people make Adventures/Special out to be this DARK AZZ POKEYMAN STORY FER OLDER PPL. No, guys. Adventures/Special is for the same audience in Japan as it is in America: KIDS. They just have differing opinions in what is acceptable for children to see and what's not than we do.

So? All they have to do is change the line - "Who's this hotty?" would suffice. Besides it's a gag panel anyway.

It would still have the same general connotation.

Adventures/Special: I always hate it how everyone always brings up lame reasons why English translated versions of this series sucks/will suck because of the censorship - which is necessary of course, seeing how this is released under the VizKids line. Then people bring up situations from the series that will almost always be censored in their minds, like Archie's line being "Die and go to hell." You realize that there are many ways to translate that and still sound good to fit the target demographic? And then the fans act like one censored scene will ruin the entire manga, or one censored threat, etc.

The censorship is unnecessary because on the few occasions they miss something (like the Tentacool line), absolutely no one complains. DPA left Mitsumi's attempted suicide and Palmer's apparent pedophilia intact; the BlueGreen vs. Sabrina fight in Pokespe wasn't as objectionable.

My second pet peeve is when people make Adventures/Special out to be this DARK AZZ POKEYMAN STORY FER OLDER PPL. No, guys. Adventures/Special is for the same audience in Japan as it is in America: KIDS. They just have differing opinions in what is acceptable for children to see and what's not than we do.

That's not about the manga itself. But anyway, it is relative to the anime (though that isn't hard to do). Besides, if you think that Pokespe is for two-year-olds, why do you read and discuss it?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom