• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stuff you want to see in Pokemon that it's currently not offering

Youngster_Joey

Hurrrrr...
Reaction score
Well, to start, I guess I should consider myself a recent fan of the series. The reason why I say recent is because quite frankly, Pokemon HG/SS is my first gen 4 game, and not just that, first Pokemon game after about 9 years of quitting entirely, yeah, my last game was the Gold/Silver versions.

When I first thought of getting back in to the franchise, I was kind of worried that I'd be missing out on a lot, especially with the inclusion of double battling, but needless to say, after researching the other generations and getting close to completely beating Heart Gold, I can honestly say I didn't miss much at all.

While newer pokemon offer new ways of battling, and the natures mean I can no longer beat a Nidoran by tackling it to death at the risk of getting poisoned, I can wholeheartedly agree with anyone who says that the series is in desperate need of changes. Keep in mind, I'm not expecting a COMPLETE OVERHAUL but at least something that would be beneficial and new to the series. Anyway, sorry if you consider this a baw thread, but I'm just sharing my opinions about the series.

So basically, this thread is for posting aspects that you wish was in the series. Keep in mind, this is going broader than the upcoming Black & White game (which I'm already getting annoyed about because it STILL looks like GF aren't changing stuff around that much), so I don't think this thread belongs in that sub-forum

So here are mine:

Attacks made from combinations in Double Battles: Compared to other RPGs I've played, Pokemon's double battle feature is among the most shallow. There is really nothing that special about it, other than the fact that some moves affect your partner, and there are so few moves that actually allow your two pokemon to interact and help each other. Other RPGs, even those similar to Pokemon pulled this off nicely, so why not this series?

Trainer Customization: God, I've been longing this since the beginning of time. They developers spend so much time making more pokemon, more items that you probably can't get unless you attend events/get lucky/hack, and 3D crap to make the game look pretty, but not the option to change the look of your character? Sure, over wifi you can have a persona based off a trainer class, but that doesn't even appear in actual online battles or in the actual game itself. Pokemon Battle Revolution, as much of a waste that was, actually allowed you to even look like an older character, but not in the main series? I fail to see the reasoning, here.

EV, IV, and STAB education in-game: By now, I think anyone who is a fan of the series knows what these are, and if they don't, they can easily find out. So what's the point of keeping these a "hidden" factor of the game? I think it might actually be good for advertising Nintendo Tournaments if these are introduced at least by the end of the game.

Tone down the cliches: This mostly has to do with the player's starting town. It always seems to be some sort of quaint, peaceful village in the middle of nowhere, with no mart, no pokemon center, no nothing. Then, the first route is a peaceful, happy grassy pathway. By the end of it all you are in some man-made building fighting the Elite Four, or in some highly industrial, "evil" base. You know what other games do this, to? Sonic the Hedeghog, Super Mario Bros., Kirby, Star Ocean, The Legend of Zelda (to some extent), and the list goes on... Seriously, there are other ways of hooking the player into the game than simply starting in a nature happy-land. I was actually hoping the player would start out in Huin City in Black/White, but after looking at more magazine scans it doesn't seem to be the case. If GameFreak is so set on doing it the traditional way, however, at least make the first town useful in some way, other than communicating with your mother to save money for you.

I really want breeding to be easier. Right now you have to take pokemon out of your party to breed eggs. I think that an Egg Pocket in the bag would be nice or something like that.

New animations for hold items. Seriously. It always weirds me out how my Feraligatr wiggles in and out when he uses his Quick Claw.

I really want breeding to be easier. Right now you have to take pokemon out of your party to breed eggs. I think that an Egg Pocket in the bag would be nice or something like that.

That could actually be interesting. After all, with HG/SS you could carry berry pots and grow berries as you walk, so that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

double battle combos like water pulse + water gun= hydro pump
also character customization like they have in fallout 3

Definitely agree with the combos in DB's, also, traveling in groups would be a bit interesting. But, only as an option, I don't wanna be forced to do three/four different adventures. Another thing, why do so many people hate the idea of character customization? I really like that idea. I remember from some thread (I think it was the one where it asked what features you wanted) people kept saying it was stupid only because they're pixels. That's ridiculous, we can see what the characters look like during a battle, & we can always see what they look like when we play them on the main Nintendo console (Gamecube & Wii).

Character Customization would take up a bit of space.

I'd personally want to see the abilities to play sports with your Pokemon, or even Pokemon Sports(Not Pokeathelon, more like baseball, football, or soccer).

and the Doubles Combos is a good Idea, along with Egg Pouch

Definitely agree with the combos in DB's, also, traveling in groups would be a bit interesting. But, only as an option, I don't wanna be forced to do three/four different adventures. Another thing, why do so many people hate the idea of character customization? I really like that idea. I remember from some thread (I think it was the one where it asked what features you wanted) people kept saying it was stupid only because they're pixels. That's ridiculous, we can see what the characters look like during a battle, & we can always see what they look like when we play them on the main Nintendo console (Gamecube & Wii).

Ya know, every image compiled on a computer screen is made up of a single small square, called a "pixel", so no matter whether it's 3D or 2D, it's all an illusion.

Yeah, that is definitely a bad argument, I agree.

I would say one thing that I would really like to see in a Pokémon game is improved character customization.

I'd personally want to see the abilities to play sports with your Pokemon, or even Pokemon Sports(Not Pokeathelon, more like baseball, football, or soccer).
Wasn't something like that offered in Pokemon Dash? Or no? I've never played, so I'm not sure. But you do have a good idea there.

Wasn't something like that offered in Pokemon Dash? Or no? I've never played, so I'm not sure. But you do have a good idea there.

wasn't that all there was to pokemon dash?

I think Gen V needs a game where you can go to all 5 regions, and choose to start in which ever one you want.

I think Gen V needs a game where you can go to all 5 regions, and choose to start in which ever one you want.

I think the DS would explode from that. You realize how much memory that would cost on a handheld system, right? Sounds more like a Wiiware project.

Character customization would be amazing. At least being able to change the character's skin and hair color would be nice, but I'd love to be able to change the clothes too (and give the player character glasses, or-- god forbid-- finally be able to play as a girl who wears pants. Short shorts do not count).

I can't think of anything else I really want.

Character customization would be amazing. At least being able to change the character's skin and hair color would be nice, but I'd love to be able to change the clothes too (and give the player character glasses, or-- god forbid-- finally be able to play as a girl who wears pants. Short shorts do not count).

I can't think of anything else I really want.

you mean we can make the character run around half naked like other games:angel:

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom