• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stupidest nickname you ever gave to a Pokemon

I was playing OR/AS at school and catch female Voltorb. I nickname her Betty46788.(WHY???)
And Numel named O.

I once nicknamed a Growlithe Dog, I don't even know why. This is the reason that when I do nickname them, I use names from other series since I'm uncreative with things like this.

I was gonna name all the Unown by their actual letters but some of them I couldn't figure out until I actually got all of them, so I named them after what they looked like with the intention of changing them later (and then forgot). So I've got one named Boat, one named Wheel, and one named BOMB (pretty sure it's T and that I knew it was T but it looked like the old plungers for blasting caps so I did it on purpose).

I usually try to put some thought into my nicknames, but sometimes I just derp out and can't think of anything. The elemental monkeys come to mind (Radd, Bloo, and Groon). I also caught a Weedle that subsequently evolved into a Beedrill that I named PoisonBob just cause I couldn't think of a good name. ^<__<^;; Now all my Beedrills end up being PoisonBob.

My first game was Blue on a ROM and I wasn't used to the controls yet. I don't remember what I intended to name him but I cancelled out of the naming process before putting in the full name and ended up with a Dugtrio named Sa. Sa? Sa-whaaaaaat?? I don't even.

I was trying to catch a Mime Jr in X and they showed up in a swarm and I don't remember what they kept using on me but it was frustrating to the point where I wanted to lob my DS across the room, so when I finally caught one I named it Obnoxious. Then there's my Krabby named STD. ^<__<^;; And my Ferroseed named DoNotSit. And my WeepinBell named BadHat. And my Magneton named BadCompass. And my Tympole named K-Mart. What. I don't even. Like, even if they're stupid names I can usually remember why I named them that, but K-Mart? I don't even know. And then there's Bowlder the Geodude. Cause, well, he's made of rock and you could probably use him to go bowling. LookIdon'tknowOK. Coming up with 718 nicknames is hard.

I like to spend time on my nicknames, but when I bred my Skorupi, later to be Drapion, I just blanked. Kept thinking on it for about a week before I gave up and just decided to name him Twiddles. Now, I wouldn't trade Twiddles for anything.

I named a Rattata "Cutman" when I was a kid. Beyond being one letter away from quite an inappropriate name, it's ridiculous - imagine being one of the lowliest Pokémon species and then having a name like that...

"Cutman, cutman, cutman, that rat's up to somethin' " - Drake

Went and looked at my horde of pokemon. Apathy the Metapod (cause they don't move), Pinky the Rattata (after Pinky and the Brain). Found one of my original Pokemon, a Sandslash who as a Sandshrew was part of my "wreck everything" team. His name? Teeny. And his partner, Tiny the Kadabra. ^=__=^;; Drunky the Oddish cause he looks drunk. Buggy the Venonat. So creative ^<__<^;; For the life of me I can't figure out why I name all my Golducks "Blue Magoo." I don't even know what that means. LintApe the Primeape cause... he looks like a ball of lint. ^^;; TriChick the Dodrio. Palmer the Exeggutor (obvious palm tree is obvious). Bonz and Wiggity my Cubone and Marowak cause Cubone has a bone (bonz) and wiggity wiggity whack my Marowak strikes back (lookIdon'tknowOK). Other things I don't know? Why did I name my Lickitung "Cartman"?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy the Koffing cause they kept EXPLODING whenever I tried to catch one. They were like I'D RATHER DIE THAN BE FRIENDS WITH YOUUUUUUU. (I get this a lot from legendaries who Struggle themselves to death rather than get caught by me ^=__=^;; ) Oh yeah, WhiskyTango and TangoFoxtrot for my Tangela and whatever he evolves into cause srsly wtf are these things. Quackferno the Magmar cause he looks like a duck on fire. Kao the Spinarak cause he's got a face on his butt (kao is Japanese for face). Zoobie the Zubat who is now a Crobat. ^=__=^;; Twiggy the Sudowoodo for obs. reasons. Oh, back to my Unown, one of them (K) apparently named duck cause he... looks like a duck. I guess. I think everything looks like a duck. ^<__<^;; Oh, and the one I thought was named wheel (M) is actually "steer" (like steering wheel). V is apparently chai cause he looks like a chai latte...? I don't even drink those. ^=__=^;;

I don't know why I named my Wobbuffet "Sesame." This and K-Mart from my previous post shall forever remain mysteries. That, and why I named my Cryogonal SpSpTrick (i.e., Special Special Trick). ClamBamTY(sir and/or madam) the Forretress. Dee the Mudkip cause in Pokemon Amie when you pet him he makes an XD face. ^<__<^;; Foster the Tropius cause bananas foster. Más y Menos the Plusle and Minun (so, Plus and Minus). Frisbee the Bronzor. Cpt. NoShoes the Scoliopede (which is what I called all millipedes when I was a kid and wanted a giant one as a pet). AerialBacn the Woobat. Pretty sure I named one of the Vaniluxe thingies Diabetes. And then there's the Klink family, whom I named Metal, Gear, and Solid. *throws hands up into the air, wanders off*

Not mine but I somehow acquired an Ampharos "from a distant land" named "SILLY!?!?!" What. Also ended up with someone's Fearow named Fearosity. And a Sceptile named "2ND BEST" (not sure what this is referring to as he's got no IV's). Someone's 6IV shiny Ludicolo named "LudiYOLO." I think I laughed for a good 5min when that came in over WT. An Accelgor named "Kariblastplz." A Latias named "Angle.." Obtuse? Right angle? WHAT KIND OF ANGLE. INQUIRING MINDS MUST KNOW. Someone's shiny Rhyhorn named "Shiny." Someone's Chansey named Chaney (perhaps as some sort of political statement?). A Raichu named Pikachu.

The most stupid nickname I've given to a Pokémon? I remember it like it was yesterday...oh, wait, it WAS yesterday. Hm...

Anyway, I was playing X last night hoping to find another Water-type for my party, and settled on Octillery. I finally found one with Suction Cups, and, while trying to think of a nickname for her which fit my naming convention for the playthrough, one popped into my head and I went with it.

Plinktopus is now the newest member of Team Maximus!

I feel a bit badly about this but I'd have to say it was my Yellow Pikachu the first time I ever played Pokemon.
It was one of three of my Pokemon nicknames that had been inspired by my best friend's nicknames, her Pikachu was Zappy, so mine ended up as Zapper and I can't help looking back at that sometimes and hating that choice.
(the others being my Pigeot, Windy based on her Gusty and my Venusaur Rooter based on her Rooty)

It IS a bit childishly obvious and as a very creatively driven person, I prefer nicknames that are both original and meaningful.

I actually had one other Pokemon with this issue, in Silver, a Bulbasaur, I never evolved named Bulby. There was a silver lining in that case though, he appeared in Stadium 2 with orange eyes.

I've given male Pokémon more stupid names than I can remember off the top of my head. Males, because when I first got Pokémon X I wanted to name my army after Touhou characters, which are almost all female.

My Groudon in ORwas such a bitch, when I tried to catch it, so I threw balls at it until I gave up and threw the masterball.
I then proceeded to press A continously. My Groudon is now named: "AAAAAAAAAAAA".

I also have a Shelgon named "Dragon Ball". Kinda proud of that.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom