• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
I wonder if GF didn't purposefully limit how many Types appear in the demo so people wouldn't work out too much of the updated Type chart?

Or I could be reading too much into this and it could just be given the location, there aren't many other Types they could have put in there anyways...

Here's a list of moves that I think could be retyped to Fairy.

After You
Attract
Bestow
Captivate
Charm
Covet
Dizzy Punch
Entrainment
Follow Me
Heal Bell
Heal Pulse
Healing Wish
Heart Stamp
Helping Hand
Lovely Kiss
Lucky Chant
Me First
Pain Split
Perish Song
Refresh
Safeguard
Sing
Softboiled
Sweet Kiss
Tickle
Trump Card
Wish

I don't think Softboiled will be retyped. Its a signature move. No need. Even if Chansey and co are retyped.
Heart Stamp won't be retyped because the Pokemon who can lear it wouldn't get STAB anymore and it is considered the signature move of the Woobat family, which is very unlikely to be retyped.

Heart Stamp is a signature move of the Woobat line? Since when? Jynx has pitiful Atk and would much rather use special Psychic moves, so you'd never use Heart Stamp on it anyway, while Miltank can learn Zen Headbutt which is stronger. None would care if Heart Stamp was retyped.

Ah, I thought it was flying cause it was roughly the same colour as flying, but i can see it for ghost too.

Heart Stamp is a signature move of the Woobat line? Since when? Jynx has pitiful Atk and would much rather use special Psychic moves, so you'd never use Heart Stamp on it anyway, while Miltank can learn Zen Headbutt which is stronger. None would care if Heart Stamp was retyped.

Pretty much agreeing with this. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that aside from a few competitively viable moves like Wish, Softboiled (and even then, I doubt people would care much seeing as they're used by Pokemon with fairy characteristics), and Refresh, the others aren't really too important and I doubt people would really raise a fuss about it. u_u

So at this point we have confirmed, through sources and demos:

Offensive
-----------
x2 | Dragon
x1 | Rock, Grass, Ghost, Psychic
x½| Fire
x0 |?

Defensive
-----------
x2 |?
x1 |?
x½|?
x0 |?

Is this right? I think we actually know even more than this now.

So at this point we have confirmed, through sources and demos:

Offensive
-----------
x2 | Dragon
x1 | Rock, Grass, Ghost, Psychic
x½| Fire
x0 |?

Defensive
-----------
x2 |?
x1 |?
x½|?
x0 |?

Is this right? I think we actually know even more than this now.

PokeSmash also said that Poison was super-effective against Fairies.

They also loosely implied that Fairy was strong against Ice, then weak against it. So take that with a grain of salt.

The leaker, which has been correct about everything else, said this:

It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

I think at the very last second they moved the Fairy-type damage resistance from Psychic to Ice. Which explains why Smash would say that Sylveon could beat Ice in one episode but couldn't in the most recent sketch.

Fairy full type effectiveness:

Super effective against: Fighting, Dark and Dragon.
Not very effective against: Fire, Poison, Steel
Resists: Bug, Dark, Fighting
Weak against: Poison, Steel
Immune to: Dragon

I love the Fairy type.

Edit: Rumours are suggesting that Steel no longer resists Dark and Ghost.

Last edited:
LOVE IT. Fairies will actually be able to survive against Dragon pokemon. This is going to give Poison a great boost in competitive play as well. O_O My dear underused Arbok! You may actually become relevant!

Gardevoir losing its weaknesses to Bug and Dark is cool. Although it has gained a weakness to Poison and Steel.

Steel and poison at this moment are a lot less common offensively as bug and Dark, though, so it's still a big advantage.

Rumours are suggesting that Steel has lost its resistance to Dark and Ghost. Bye bye Metagross and Bronzong.

I love everything except the fact that Ice is not resistant to Fairy.

Maybe, as they are changing Steel's resistances, just maybe Ice will get a few resistances.

Or maybe Ice pokemon will get some stat boost or something? I mean, not only does the type have problems but It isn't like most Ice types have great stats or moves or anything either...

Though at the very least I think Ice should be resistant to Water and not Weak against it.

Steel got changed a bit, maybe they didn't post other things that got changed? I'd like to believe they're fixing many of the type chart problems if they're gonna change Steel.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom