• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generation V Speculation Thread

What about more room for nicknames? That's the least they can do.

Why would we need more room for nicknames? You've gotta be thinking up some crazy names to need more than 10 characters. Heck, I don't even need more than the 5 they limit you to in the JP versions.

I would like to see them pull another Generation 2, as in allowing travel to different regions. Heck, why not all of them?

The main thing I would want is to break the cycle of remakes that's developing. I loved Gold and Silver because they revisited an old region and yet made it fresh and new at the same time. More sequels would be awesome, so long as they include, like GSC, new regions alongside them.

Which brings me to my next point. I think a game encompassing all of the regions is fast approaching. Gen V might be a bit early for that, but I can see it coming by Gen VI at the latest.

So, for Gen V specifically, I would probably want a game that encompassed Hoenn, Johto, and a new region in between them. It seems like a lot, but if you look at a map of Japan the area featured in each game appears to double in size each generation. Perhaps there could be another game that features areas based on the other half of Japan: Kanto, Sinnoh, and another in between area.

Why would we need more room for nicknames? You've gotta be thinking up some crazy names to need more than 10 characters. Heck, I don't even need more than the 5 they limit you to in the JP versions.
I'm not thinking of we need 15 characters, I'm saying like we need a total of 12. It's just a opinion.

What I really want to see in the fifth generation is a return to simplicity in terms of the Pokemon. I know that for the first two generations, the Pokemon were all designed by Ken Sugimori. It shows in the two most recent generations that Sugimori alone did not design them, as the Pokemon designs have gotten more and more odd-looking. This is especially apparent in DPPt, where ridiculous-looking Pokemon, such as Probopass, Hippopotas, and Purugly, are commonplace. I mean, Hoenn definitely wasn't my favorite region, but their Pokemon weren't THAT bad looking.

Speaking of Hoenn, I hope that Generation V does not include remakes of Ruby and Sapphire. FRLG were acceptable because the older Pokemon were left out of Ruby/Sapphire. HGSS were acceptable because the original GSC cartridges were dying out, plus the level of popularity that GSC enjoyed. There exists no good reason to remake Ruby and Sapphire. Plus, and this is just my opinion, Ruby and Sapphire fell far short of RBY and GSC in terms of overall quality and aren't worth reliving.

For Generation V, I'd like to see the dynamics of the storyline played with a bit too. I mean, every main series game is the same old thing; 8 gyms, Elite 4, and if you're lucky there's a place to explore afterwards. I thought Colosseum was an excellent deviation from the standard formula, and if those kinds of liberties were taken in a main series game, it would be the best one yet.

My final hope for Generation V is that there are less legendaries. Each generation, more and more legendaries are introduced and yet they get less and less interesting. RSE did not need the Regi. DPPt did not need the lake trio, Cresselia, Darkrai, Phione, Heatran, Regigigas, or Shaymin. These legendaries were all either uninteresting, played no part in the game's plot, or were just unnecessary. Legendaries have essentially been cheapened by their number. I never use legendaries in my main team, so they just rot in my box once I catch them. I think Generation V should have 5 legendaries, 6 tops. And please no Pokegod above Arceus. One of the only decent legendaries to come out of Generation IV, and even he would be cheapened if there was a power above him.

How is a change in style indication Ken had help with design?

Why should your dislike of RSE be a reason for why we shouldn't get remakes?

And that's what the spin-off games are for. A change in style. that's why they are spin-offs.

And what was wrong with the Regis, the lake trio, and the rest... (okay, not counting Heatran)?

How is a change in style indication Ken had help with design?

Why should your dislike of RSE be a reason for why we shouldn't get remakes?

And that's what the spin-off games are for. A change in style. that's why they are spin-offs.

And what was wrong with the Regis, the lake trio, and the rest... (okay, not counting Heatran)?

Because its a fact. Sugimori single-handedly designed the first 251 Pokemon. He did not do the same with the ones following, and the difference in style makes this pretty obvious. He does the artwork for them, yes, but the designs are not exclusively his.

I don't "dislike" RSE, so don't put words in my mouth. It is my opinion that they weren't as good as the games that preceded or followed it. I said it was strictly my opinion, anyway, and shouldn't dictate what actually happens.

Spin-off games are nice, but why not actually try something new in a main game rather than just putting the idea into its own half-baked title? I'm not saying turn the main series into Pokemon Snap or anything. But they shouldn't be afraid to implement some new ideas to keep the formula fresh.

The main problem with the legendaries I listed is that there are too many of them, to the point where them being legendary Pokemon means next to nothing. Therefore, most of these legendaries are just unnecessary and uninteresting since the games don't really focus on them anyway. For example, GSC focused on Lugia and Ho-Oh. RSE focused on Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. DPPt focused on Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. There is simply no need for all those legendaries in one generation when they could just as easily be introduced later so that legendaries themselves do not become stale as they have.

(GS never really focused on Lugia or Ho-oh. Now HGSS...)

I still don't understand how pokemon looking different is an indication of multiple designers.

I don't see how Azelf, Mesprit, and Uxie weren't "unecessary" in the main plot of D/P/Pt, how TG used them and whatnot made perfect sense to me....and they definately played a slightly bigger part in the Distortion World in Platinum.

(GS never really focused on Lugia or Ho-oh. Now HGSS...)

I still don't understand how pokemon looking different is an indication of multiple designers.

True, GS didn't really focus on Lugia or Ho-Oh as a part of the plot. Perhaps GS's contribution to this was that it started the trend of having legendaries as version mascots. But then HGSS definitely took a focus to the two, yes.

Its simple. Sugimori designed the original 251 Pokemon. From Treecko to Arceus, he had help creating the monsters' designs. This change is apparent by comparing the design style of the first 251 with the Pokemon after. For example, compare Butterfree to Beautifly. Both are based on butterflies, but one is much more simple looking (Butterfree), while the other is much more detailed and realistic looking (Beautifly).

I guess this could be considered a matter of opinion too, but I just prefer the simpler designs to the more detailed ones.

@KPTitan: I guess Azelf, Uxie, and Mespirit would be more on the "upper tier" of the legendaries I listed, as they admittedly DID have some influence on the plot. But still, the writers could have just changed the story so that Team Galactic needed three artifacts or something rather than legendary Pokemon, just to cut down on the number of legendaries and avoiding reducing them to "fetch quest item" status.

Because its a fact. Sugimori single-handedly designed the first 251 Pokemon. He did not do the same with the ones following, and the difference in style makes this pretty obvious. He does the artwork for them, yes, but the designs are not exclusively his.

Baaaaaw, this pokemon doesn't look as cool as another! Therefore it wasn't designed by Sugimori!

Please. You may as well only be playing R/B/Y. Give me an article or something proving this. Until then, your opinion is the only one talking.

Baaaaaw, this pokemon doesn't look as cool as another! Therefore it wasn't designed by Sugimori!

Please. You may as well only be playing R/B/Y. Give me an article or something proving this. Until then, your opinion is the only one talking.

You're completely missing my point. Whether they look "cooler" or not is a matter of personal opinion. The argument I am trying to make is not "the designs are different, therefore Sugimori did not do them". I'm trying to say "Sugimori did not exclusively design the Pokemon starting with R/S, as a result they look different." Do you get what I'm saying?

Are you an artist? Artists change their styles all the time.

Okay, let me get this straight. You are saying that because the Gen III to IV pokemon look different from the Gen I to II pokemon, Sugimori obviously wasn't the sole designer of them. That makes no sense, because as you can tell through the evolution of his art, he changes his style practically every generation.

Okay, let me get this straight. You are saying that because the Gen III to IV pokemon look different from the Gen I to II pokemon, Sugimori obviously wasn't the sole designer of them. That makes no sense, because as you can tell through the evolution of his art, he changes his style practically every generation.

Agreed, everyone's art style can change. Just because the pokemon of Gen III&IV aren't like GenI-II just means he went for a different style. I can't believe people want everything to stay the same as the orginals, as soon as something new comes, its blasphemy to most people.

Anyways I hope for GenV that GF goes all out original and different from the previous games, leaving behind the previous generations.

That's not my logic at all. I'm not saying "Oh, Butterfree and Beautifly look different. Obviously Sugimori didn't design both of them!" That would be ignorant and silly of me. I'm using the information that Sugimori was not the sole designer of the Pokemon since Ruby/Sapphire to draw that conclusion. Then after reading this, these differences made sense once I actually looked at them.

I searched around for some solid info on this, since I knew I had remembered reading it at least a couple of times before. Its hard to find info on Sugimori since he apparently does not have his own website, but the wikipedia entries on Ken Sugimori and Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire both say the same thing (which now that I think about it was where I recently read this info). Granted, wikipedia is not the most reliable source in the world. One of the pages linked to info on Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire on Gamefaq's, and the information presented there seemed to agree.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/data/471243.html

Notice that there is a long list of Pokemon and graphics designers besides Sugimori. This was true for Gold/Silver as well, but it did not specify the nature of their job as much as the Ruby/Sapphire entry does. Furthermore, Hironobu Yoshida is credited as the Main Graphic Designer for R/S, not Ken Sugimori. Other websites that came up in the search said similar things. Those are my sources. Take it or leave it.

One last note, I looked up Hironobu Yoshida. Apparently he actually designed a few Generation II Pokemon as well, so the wikipedia entry is not completely accurate.

Last edited:
See, was that too hard? Concrete information other than shallow statements are the way to go.

However, I think we've gotten way off of the subject.

Back
Top Bottom