• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Re: Location in the Pokemon World

It will clearly not be based on France alone........ Just because you see a tower that LOOKS LIKE the Eiffel Tower, does not at all mean it is based in Paris, and just because Masuda tweets a picture of him in front of the Eiffel Tower, it could be in relation to Europe as a whole. I suggest we all just stop assuming France for now, our best bet is Europe, those who like France will only be getting their hopes up...

Why? I've yet to see anything that suggests a basis beyond Paris. A whitish Eiffel Tower/Obelisk of Luxor, a tree-lined street like Champs-Élysées and a palace like the Palace of Versailles. For the moment, suggesting anything beyond Paris is pure fan speculation.

You've seen a desert in Paris? Take me with you, lol.
You've seen a desert in New York! Where?

Unova's overall design was BASED ON how New York looked, and the desert's there are in relation to the Western parts of the US. As far I know know, there are no deserts above 20 degrees in Europe lol, unless you come to my Island, Cyprus! :D because we've been taken into this Europe rubbish now...

There's nothing particularly western about Desert Resort - it's south of a city with a huge subway station (Nimbasa) and north of a city with what is basically Liberty Island (Castelia). Kyushu and Hokkaido don't have deserts either - it is purely artistic licence to have them. And there's no particular reason to believe that these white domes are in a desert - the photo of the Alps in this thread shows the same kind of rockiness while being situated in France.

This new region could be anywhere in relation to the others. It's GF's choice, really.

I agree with what you're saying but the only part of Unova that references NYC is Castelia City, otherwise all the other locations around Unova could be related to anywhere else in the World...
Personally, I'm a little confused as to why GF would want to base it on France though? and NOT Europe? If this is the case? But who knows for now...
Some of the bridges
Liberty Garden

You guys forgetting one thing, and that is New France is area colonized by France in North America, so I highly doubt its Location in the Pokemon World is based off of Europe. -_-

Except that the Pikachu in the trailer was clearly on top of the Eiffel Tower, and I can't see Game Freak basing the region on colonialism and taking us back to the 18th century.

The pokemon world is a Fantasy world which is located in its own Fictional universe and therefor is an entirely different planet then are planet as far as geography goes, so what the region is based off of wouldn't hold any ground as far as how far away a place is from the other regions and its geographic position as well.

Also think about this: If the Pokemon world was the same as our world, continent-wise, how much of the world would be left undiscovered (by us) if the new region was a part of France, rather than America? Think about how this new region has older Pokemon. If those Pokemon are so widespread, halfway across the world, then how many Pokemon are actually left to be discovered?

To be honest my problem with Paris is that it will cause the series a whole bunch of potential canon problems in the future, I mean really are we to think that during the fist gen for example there were only 151 species on the Pokémon world? Seeing how there is estimated 8.7 million species on planet Earth!

Personally, I'm a little confused as to why GF would want to base it on France though? and NOT Europe? If this is the case? But who knows for now...

Maybe they don't wanna put all their apples in one basket lol. Other parts of Europe could be used to base future regions on!

Maybe they don't wanna put all their apples in one basket lol. Other parts of Europe could be used to base future regions on!

That actually does make a lot of sense... I'd prefer that, I like France as a place... just not so much the weather, let's hope we get a sunny city! Or at least a bit of Ocean to swim on... Lol. I still hope we get more info on the Region itself within the next few months... Maybe sooner.

That actually does make a lot of sense... I'd prefer that, I like France as a place... just not so much the weather, let's hope we get a sunny city! Or at least a bit of Ocean to swim on... Lol. I still hope we get more info on the Region itself within the next few months... Maybe sooner.

I hope the seasons do return, it will be great to see snow falling in a 3D Pokemon world!! Since the release isn't THAT far away I reckon they'll maybe leave it for a few weeks - month then start releasing more info. Although they've already announced the names of the legendaries so maybe we'll get more info sooner than expected!

Personally I hope each city/town has more detail and we get the same amount of locations that are usually represented in the Anime.

ALSO: I reckon they may have done what Ubisoft did with AC3, release yearly titles (Black and white, B2W2) while working on Pokemon X & Y simultaneously since they knew they had to move away from the DS real soon and start with the 3DS.

I hope the seasons do return, it will be great to see snow falling in a 3D Pokemon world!! Since the release isn't THAT far away I reckon they'll maybe leave it for a few weeks - month then start releasing more info. Although they've already announced the names of the legendaries so maybe we'll get more info sooner than expected!

Personally I hope each city/town has more detail and we get the same amount of locations that are usually represented in the Anime.

Same! Having the same amount of locations that are usually represented in the Animé would be awesome! and maybe more non-Gym Towns!
I'm really looking forward to how they will add in the weather aspects though... I agree with what you said about snow! I would sit there staring at it in glorious 3D!

Same! Having the same amount of locations that are usually represented in the Animé would be awesome! and maybe more non-Gym Towns!
I'm really looking forward to how they will add in the weather aspects though... I agree with what you said about snow! I would sit there staring at it in glorious 3D!

I've always been disappointed that many anime locations don't make it into the game, such as Village Of Dragons! I may be getting a little ahead of myself but it would be good to have 6 set gyms and 4 optional with a split path letting you choose which 2 to get your remaining badges from!

I wouldn't be surprised if they did go back to one season considering it is the first game in 3D. This is a whole new concept for them so I think it will take several games/years till we start to see the full potential of each game and region.

Last edited:

I honestly would rather they stuck to basing the regions in japan.

anyway i think the region will be far far away because the pokemon do not look similar to any previous designs in any way it looks like someone completly new made them? like kanto and johto were similarly designed but hoenn was alot diffrent and was further away. Its a new console which usually mean it will not be located near the other regions

I depsratley want it to be near the hoenn region since i love that region and i want to go the hoenn region or atleast have lots of pokemon from that region.

There are only like 2 or 3 areas of Japan not used. If they did that then the franchise would be over with Gen 6 or 7.

There are only like 2 or 3 areas of Japan not used. If they did that then the franchise would be over with Gen 6 or 7.

i dont want the series to go past gen 7, anymore is pushing it.. 6 is already pushing it

Also why not use the last 2,3 areas then go elsewhere, basing them on other countrys is a marketing sceme to me. America then Europe the 2 most popular places for pokemon outside japan :O oh i never !!

Generation VII will be in Australia or New Zealand. MARK MY WORDS.

This region is most probably between Unova and the original four PokéRegions.

It will clearly not be based on France alone........ Just because you see a tower that LOOKS LIKE the Eiffel Tower, does not at all mean it is based in Paris, and just because Masuda tweets a picture of him in front of the Eiffel Tower, it could be in relation to Europe as a whole. I suggest we all just stop assuming France for now, our best bet is Europe, those who like France will only be getting their hopes up...

Why? I've yet to see anything that suggests a basis beyond Paris. A whitish Eiffel Tower/Obelisk of Luxor, a tree-lined street like Champs-Élysées and a palace like the Palace of Versailles. For the moment, suggesting anything beyond Paris is pure fan speculation.

Unova's overall design was BASED ON how New York looked, and the desert's there are in relation to the Western parts of the US. As far I know know, there are no deserts above 20 degrees in Europe lol, unless you come to my Island, Cyprus! :D because we've been taken into this Europe rubbish now...

Really? Did you not read the whole thread? Just a few posts above your original post, someone uploaded a pic portraying a desert IN FRANCE, the fact that there is an observatory in such desert (exactly like the desert shown in the trailer). So yeah, everything up to this point points France, even the starters.

Oh, and there's also artistic licenses, like the deserts in Unova.

I'm a little confused as to why GF would want to base it on France though? and NOT Europe? If this is the case? But who knows for now...

Because GF always base regions on small areas, let not whole continents. That's why. As far as I remember, Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido, a Japanese island, not Asia; Unova is Eastern USA, not North America. Similarly, this next region will be based on an area (that is France, actually, I doubt it'll even cover the entire country), not the whole continent.

Really? Did you not read the whole thread? Just a few posts above your original post, someone uploaded a pic portraying a desert IN FRANCE, the fact that there is an observatory in such desert (exactly like the desert shown in the trailer). So yeah, everything up to this point points France, even the starters.

Oh, and there's also artistic licenses, like the deserts in Unova.

Why? Because you saw the Eiffel Tower first, and now your mind won't tell you otherwise. I predict it will be based on Europe, as I stated in my next posts... and is clearly what it should be based on... Even if so it does end up being BASED on France, it will never potentially fulfill that promise as Pokémon games never replicate exact real Worlds in them.

We also have Frogs, Foxes and Chestnuts here in the UK, and a building that looks a lot like the Eiffel Tower, so it's only safe to assume...
Yes, everything does seem to point to France, SO FAR, after the release of ONE Trailer... There is so much more to be shown, opinions will change when the next info is shown! So I'm just assuming the overall, that is is Europe, and not France alone. Like small aspects of Europe you know... Like you said, it's based on smaller areas?

Last edited:

Why? Because you saw the Eiffel Tower first, and now your mind won't tell you otherwise. I predict it will be based on Europe, as I stated in my next posts... and is clearly what it should be based on... Even if so it does end up being BASED on France, it will never potentially fulfill that promise as Pokémon games never replicate exact real Worlds in them.

There's also Champs Elisees, the desert observatory, and French culture in general - architecture, outfits, and the starters are all three based on French culture. Yes, frogs, chestnuts and foxes roam all around the world, but here they either are part of the French folklore (chestnuts and frogs) or were given the French approach (fennec fox, instead of any other kind of fox), that's the difference. Really, didn't you read other people's posts?

Please tell my why they SHOULD cram the whole continent in a single region, other than your own wishes. GF has always based regions on small areas, not whole continents. As far as I remember, Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido, a Japanese island, not Asia; Unova is North-Eastern USA, not North America (not even the whole USA, let alone the Americas). Similarly, this next region will most likely be based on an area (that is France, actually, I doubt it'll even cover the entire country), not the whole continent.

There's also Champs Elisees, the desert observatory, and French culture in general - architecture, outfits, and the starters are all three based on French culture. Yes, frogs, chestnuts and foxes roam all around the world, but here they either are part of the French folklore (chestnuts and frogs) or were given the French approach (fennec fox, instead of any other kind of fox), that's the difference. Really, didn't you read other people's posts?

Please tell my why they SHOULD cram the whole continent in a single region, other than your own wishes. GF has always based regions on small areas, not whole continents. As far as I remember, Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido, a Japanese island, not Asia; Unova is North-Eastern USA, not North America (not even the whole USA, let alone the Americas). Similarly, this next region will most likely be based on an area (that is France, actually, I doubt it'll even cover the entire country), not the whole continent.

All your words are extremely true, all signs do point to France... But I'm just trying to see the bigger picture, not hate on it because my wishes aren't fulfilled xD
I hope we get shown a lot more very soon... What are your opinions on the bridge also? of the Female PC coming out of that Castle? I'd like to know.

I'm reserving hope for the possibility that the new region is indeed based upon Chugoku/Shikoku, and merely derives influence from France. Basically similarly to how Orre was (arguably) partially based upon western Chugoku (and even seems more influenced by it than by anything else) and yet is officially based off of Arizona, or how Isshu is officially based on NYC but is undeniably influenced in large part by Shanghai. (I don't care what anyone says, the arguments used by the Shanghaiites prior to BW's release were more than legitimate) In the same vein, the new region could be a sort-of fusion of Chugoku and Paris, but canonically be based upon Chugoku and therefore be adjacent to both Jouto and Houen.

A big reason why I am still so adamant about the likelihood of Chugoku is that odd generations always introduce a completely separate region with completely new Pokemon families, while even generations always expand upon previous Pokemon families and regions. (The only reason why Shin'ou was not located adjacent to previously existing regions is because that would have made HGSS redundant.) Wherever this new region is, it is certain to contain numerous Pokemon related to already-existing Pokemon families--in specific, Eievui is a certainty--as opposed to being a completely 'new' region with completely new Pokemon families like Houen and Isshu were. Why would they therefore posit the new region in an area as far away from Poke-Japan as Isshu was?

The only counterargument I can think of is that they are doing so in order to release more or less equal numbers of evolutions/prevolutions of Isshu Pokemon and Poke-Japan Pokemon, and therefore don't want to make Isshu seem completely pointless by positing its Pokemon all throughout Kanto, Jouto, and Houen when just 3 years ago they were portrayed as being completely inaccessible in the latter. This could be a possibility as well, but at the same time I can't help but feel that the majority of Isshu's Pokemon were intentionally made to not require any further evolutions or prevolutions (except for Dageki and Nageki) whereas the majority of Pokemon from Poke-Japan still more than merit new evolutions.

It could be based off France alone because it is likely (I don't really know) that France is one of the top sales places for Pokemon in Europe. Then again, I could be completely wrong. It's hard to deny that's the Eiffel Tower, regardless of exactly what regions it is based off of. I think another reason for the Paris theme is how famous Paris is. I don't know about everyone else, but when I think of Europe I think of London, Greece, Rome, and Paris. In the Pokemon world, I think it would be put somewhere in between Unova and the others, closer to Unova. If it is indeed based off real-world locations. I'd love to see some Pokemon based off Roman/Greek mythology. A minotaur Pokemon? Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom