• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Player Search System (PSS) and its features

Vyrron

#TeamSword
Reaction score
In Generation II we got the Pokégear, in Generation III the PokéNav, in Generation IV the Pokétch and in Generation V the C Gear. What do you think we'll get this time and how will it work?
Discuss.

Update
Image of the new gadget:

34ef8k4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Generation VI Gadget Discussion

Its gonna be a wristwatch again, going from the trailer, that much is known. One thing that threw me for the loop however is that it seems to not have the distinct Pokedevice trait of different coloring for the male/female PC, at least going off the fact that the device seems to be all black on both PC's wrists. Something tells me we're just gonna get an xtranseiver update, but another part of me tells me that GF smartened up and gave us something akin to a color version of the Poketch. That one green button it seems to have is giving off that vibe for me.

What if the new games' gadget is actually the glasses? Augmented reality glasses à la Project Glass. Not serious, but can you imagine? :p

Anyway, I'd like to see a Pokétch meets Pokégear kind of thing. I'm so glad they did the Pokétch in Generation IV, or else it would have been a wasted chance of utilizing the touchscreen in a reasonable and fun (albeit gimmicky) kinda way. And just as complete and well-though Pokétch was, the C-Gear was equally boring. Really nothing to do with it apart from having shortcuts for a few functions and cheap customization features don't quite make game; and it's super unreasonable that the C-Gear doesn't... look like anything. I mean, don't they know their audience? I'm pretty sure fans really like to see what the gadgets look like, as well as use them.

What is the C-Gear supposed to be anyway? Does it run on the Xtranceiver, or something? I remember a friend mentioning he had seen a possible concept art of C-Gear in a BW concept art gallery, but I really can't remember where that was...

In any case, I'm hoping the functionality of the new gadget will have the range of Pokétch's apps and that its appearance / concept will be more interesting, like the Pokégear. The suggestion for a more "colored" Pokétch might not be bad. Perhaps it could be presented as a smartphone or a tablet!

I can see them introducing an iPad like device, predictably called the PokéPad. If we're lucky it might have minigames on it, like Angry Mukubirds.

It will be called the XYZ Gear and it will be amazing.

I can see them introducing an iPad like device, predictably called the PokéPad. If we're lucky it might have minigames on it, like Angry Mukubirds.

That makes me laugh a lot. I'd waste hours on Angry Mukubirds!

I think the idea of a smartphone-like device would be really cool. I'm going to assume that whatever the main gadget we get this time will have a lot in common with the C-Gear, unfortunately, since GF is all about the connectivity. However, I hope they make it more useful in-game than the C-Gear, which isn't hard, since I always play with the C-Gear off (meaning it's completely useless, lol). Seriously, it's a waste of the bottom screen, and is made even more disappointing by the excellent use they made of it in HGSS.

The idea of a smartphone or tablet would easily lend itself to making use of the touch screen, as well as having a number of apps of various uses, including minigames, which would be awesome. They could easily incorporate all of the connectivity of the C-Gear, too, while making the bottom screen fun to use in-game.

I'm agreeing with the tablet/smartphone idea, mostly because I can't think of anything better then that. What I would really like to see return is HGSS' usage of the touch screen, which could be used to do just about anything but walk. After the great use of the touch screen, I felt BW was kind of a downgrade with the C-Gear.

Poketab fur shore

I kinda want the bottom screen to go back to the way it was in HGSS. The HGSS bottom screen has been the most useful I've ever seen in a Pokemon game

Probably. Achroma had been playing on it when he battles you, so wynaut give something similar to the PCs?

I like the Pokétab idea. Hopefully it will be something like an upgraded version of the Pokétch cause I found most apps pretty useful. Unfortunately this generation's C Gear was a big letdown for me.

Oh and apparently it will look like that.

xc24yb.jpg

I like the Pokétab idea. Hopefully it will be something like an upgraded version of the Pokétch cause I found most apps pretty useful. Unfortunately this generation's C Gear was a big letdown for me.

Oh and apparently it will look like that.

xc24yb.jpg
Which is what I mentioned in my first post. Its gonna be a wrist based one again, so any tabs or smartphones are outta the picture. I said it before, but a color Poketch would be perfect, and I hope that's what they're going for. Maybe even it will have an even bigger significance in game, like maybe even having the HP of the Pokemon in battle and their moves. Having the battle screen as an actual battle screen for the PC would be great, if a bit out there.

Which is what I mentioned in my first post. Its gonna be a wrist based one again, so any tabs or smartphones are outta the picture. I said it before, but a color Poketch would be perfect, and I hope that's what they're going for. Maybe even it will have an even bigger significance in game, like maybe even having the HP of the Pokemon in battle and their moves. Having the battle screen as an actual battle screen for the PC would be great, if a bit out there.

You're right -- it doesn't look like a tablet or smartphone. Of course, that doesn't mean it cannot work like one. But I agree with you, an improved (not just color hopefully, Poketch's functions were a bit too primitive) version of the Poketch with some new apps would be perfect for me.
As for the fact that both PCs had black devices in the trailer, that can easily change by the time the games are out, or it could be part of the character customization (if we actually get it).

I just want it to be something that isn't useless most of the time.

i.e. something that's not like the C-Gear.

i was hoping for a device that spoofed or took cues from some of apple's ipods, iphones ect. and called it an Ipoke.

What if the new games' gadget is actually the glasses? Augmented reality glasses à la Project Glass. Not serious, but can you imagine? :p

I can imagine, actually! Though, for me, I think AR features won't be activated through the glasses - perhaps AR battles, where you can have battles take place on your coffee table?

It will be called the XYZ Gear and it will be amazing.

As I said in my blog post regarding Generation VI; cue the XYZ Summon jokes.

Anyway, as for my thoughts on gadgets, I'm inclined to think that something will come out of the player characters' watch. If it's a Xtransceiver update, then I'm ok with that - it means that something else will be a new device!

Based on past trends, it will probably be a new device. I hope it incorporates the BW2 Xtranciever, though. Some of those calls helped me early and mid-game.

Hopefully something more useful than the C-Gear. I never found myself using that thing except Game Sync to play in the Dream World.

I'd like to see a combination of the Pokegear and the Poketch, with loads of useful applications and/or features. I also hope they keep the Unova Dowsing Machine, which don't need any touch input to work.

I hope they at least bring back the skin feature that the C-Gear had. I love having Pikachu on my C-Gear! :ksmile:

I want the Poketch, Pokegear and C-gear. The Poketch had an app for everything you could need. The Pokegear had everything you used at the touch of a screen though. I loved that the main menu is always open in HGSS. While I rarely use the c-gear it is an incredibly useful tool for the communication features which will only be more prominent and practical in X and Y if the 3DS's features are anything to go by. Single-player Funfest missions made it much more useful then it was in black and white. While communication features aren't something I always want access to in gen5 I see that changing with the 3DS.

I guess I'd Like a Pokegear with IR, Local Wireless, and Internet buttons added, with a list of Poketch apps that could be opened from an independent menu.

Back
Top Bottom