• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
I could see the unlikely event where the switch (pun intended) to a new console happens mid-generation, and maybe Gen 7 isn't done with quite yet, I could also see this being the bridge to Gen 8. Bare with me as I explain.

So let's say we get Sinnoh OR Kanto remakes on the Switch, but with no new Gen 8 Pokemon (or maybe just a couple in the code as teasers), but these games are, by all rights, still Gen 7 games. They trade and battle directly with the 3DS games, and besides aesthetics, offer no new real mechanics compared to Gen 7 games out for the 3DS, BUT, when Gen 8 comes out on the Switch, the only way to get Pokemon to there is to have gotten those Gen 7 games for the Switch, as a compatibility bridge. I'm sure they could just rig Pokemon Bank up to allow transferring from the 3DS to the Switch, but maybe not, and only by trading up to the Switch can they then be banked on the Switch's version of Pokemon Bank, to then allow you to move them up to Gen 8.

Also, never rule out Kanto, new console, Pokemon GO got the attention of a lot of older fans, the Switch is a higher-end, upscale console in terms of price, this is no DS Lite or 2DS, you could see them do something totally as fan service, like a Yellow remake.

Imagine playing as Red, starting with Pikachu, but with Megas, HD graphics, a slightly revamped story, like the one portrayed in Origins, and maybe with Johto visitable post-game, now THAT would be a game of legends, something you couldn't even see them doing because of how good it sounds, but don't rule it out.

Gen 7 just feels too short for me, I was very much expecting Kanto remakes this Gen, since FRLG only came out a year after RS, I thought FRLG would be next in line for remakes, despite DP being the most talked about, and everyone says "Why would they remake a remake? They've never done that." Well clearly that's because that opportunity is just now arriving for them, it's new territory, there's no past patterns to go off of, the Kanto region's story is the only one unplayable on the 3DS barring VC releases, which in my opinion do not fill a suitable gap there is, where you can play DPPl, HGSS, ORAS, XY, and USUM all on the 3DS, but not any Kanto game. If DP remakes come out first, that'll mean that, despite Sinnoh coming out after the last time we saw a Kanto game, they'll have a remake before Kanto which just won't feel right, and if VC is the new permanent answer to remakes, they'd just port DP over too, but that wouldn't feel right.

Also, the Switch has one screen, DP were the first games on the DS and made heavy use out of the second screen, it just feels more appropriate for a Kanto game to be our return to a one screen console. Also, TECHNICALLY, Yellow never was remade, Red and Blue/Green were as FRLG, and unlike HGSS and ORAS, which had elements of Crystal and Emerald respectively, FRLG actually had absolutely no elements taken from Yellow.

I'll be that one guy that pushes for a Yellow remake, thanks.

At this point, there is no reason to assume Nintendo Switch won't get Pokémon Bank that can connect with 3DS Pokémon Bank. The entire point of Pokémon Bank/Transporter was to be a long term, convenient method of transferring Pokémon now and in the future.

I am aware of your opinion, you've mentioned it several times. However, it has nothing to do with my argument. My argument is not based on how likely a new game set in Kanto is.

I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that a Kanto game wouldn't appeal to new players. How could you possibly know that? New players are, obviously, new to the franchise. They'll have little knowledge on the games, so what difference does it make to them if they first start playing a game set in Kanto, or a game set in a new region? There is no difference to them.
A sequel is a sequel. Would you reall want to play a game and not understand anything that is going on because it has so much about it’s two predecessors, but they aren’t simple to get because they’re older.

It would annoy the flip out of me. If there are ever sequels they have to do as little reference to previous entries as possible, otherwise you can’t enjoy it becaise you will not understand it.

If you’re one of those few that don’t mind, then okay. But there are a lot that do mind. And we know from all the kanto pandering that they can’t even keep it out of a new region, so you think they’ll manage to keep the original Kanto and Johto stories out of it? It ruins it. Playing the original games takes a lot of patience that a lot of newer players might not have. Thus before making sequels they need to remake the others.

And a remake ain’t exciting. Why spend 360 on another Kano game when the VC is 10 on the ds, and you can spend way lest just getting a the original frlg and a system to play them on.

A Lanto game just lacks to much appeal compared to a new region with new pokemknnand characters never before seen. All kanto can offer is a few new people and avpossibly new story. But other than that to msotly the same stuff we’ve had for all other games, especially thanks to Alola forms.
Don't underestimate the amount of Genwunners.
They may not appear on "real" Pokemon forums, but Pokemon GO has proved how numerous these "inferior" Pokemon fans are.

With Switch geared more towards adults than kids, Kanto attracts these grown up Genwunners.
Way more than any random kid who decides to try Pokemon.
Pokémon GO is a mobile game. Mobile gamers ain’t going to buy a console. My brothers played Pokémon when they were younger. One of them played GO. But it ain’t going to convince either to buy a switch and Pokémon. Heck I won’t waste my money on it either until a new region Pokémon game is released.

and one of the larger issues genwunners have with Pokémon is that it has changed so much. How will this game with Megas and z moves and fairy types and other stuff appeal to them? It’s not the games they know anymore.
I could see the unlikely event where the switch (pun intended) to a new console happens mid-generation, and maybe Gen 7 isn't done with quite yet, I could also see this being the bridge to Gen 8. Bare with me as I explain.

So let's say we get Sinnoh OR Kanto remakes on the Switch, but with no new Gen 8 Pokemon (or maybe just a couple in the code as teasers), but these games are, by all rights, still Gen 7 games. They trade and battle directly with the 3DS games, and besides aesthetics, offer no new real mechanics compared to Gen 7 games out for the 3DS, BUT, when Gen 8 comes out on the Switch, the only way to get Pokemon to there is to have gotten those Gen 7 games for the Switch, as a compatibility bridge. I'm sure they could just rig Pokemon Bank up to allow transferring from the 3DS to the Switch, but maybe not, and only by trading up to the Switch can they then be banked on the Switch's version of Pokemon Bank, to then allow you to move them up to Gen 8.

Also, never rule out Kanto, new console, Pokemon GO got the attention of a lot of older fans, the Switch is a higher-end, upscale console in terms of price, this is no DS Lite or 2DS, you could see them do something totally as fan service, like a Yellow remake.

Imagine playing as Red, starting with Pikachu, but with Megas, HD graphics, a slightly revamped story, like the one portrayed in Origins, and maybe with Johto visitable post-game, now THAT would be a game of legends, something you couldn't even see them doing because of how good it sounds, but don't rule it out.

Gen 7 just feels too short for me, I was very much expecting Kanto remakes this Gen, since FRLG only came out a year after RS, I thought FRLG would be next in line for remakes, despite DP being the most talked about, and everyone says "Why would they remake a remake? They've never done that." Well clearly that's because that opportunity is just now arriving for them, it's new territory, there's no past patterns to go off of, the Kanto region's story is the only one unplayable on the 3DS barring VC releases, which in my opinion do not fill a suitable gap there is, where you can play DPPl, HGSS, ORAS, XY, and USUM all on the 3DS, but not any Kanto game. If DP remakes come out first, that'll mean that, despite Sinnoh coming out after the last time we saw a Kanto game, they'll have a remake before Kanto which just won't feel right, and if VC is the new permanent answer to remakes, they'd just port DP over too, but that wouldn't feel right.

Also, the Switch has one screen, DP were the first games on the DS and made heavy use out of the second screen, it just feels more appropriate for a Kanto game to be our return to a one screen console. Also, TECHNICALLY, Yellow never was remade, Red and Blue/Green were as FRLG, and unlike HGSS and ORAS, which had elements of Crystal and Emerald respectively, FRLG actually had absolutely no elements taken from Yellow.

I'll be that one guy that pushes for a Yellow remake, thanks.

Gen VII is the same length as gen I, gen II, gen V, and Gen VI. Literally. It may feel shorter but it isn’t.

Sand keeping it gen VII wouldn’t do unless the gen has a new region but that would bengen VIII becaise that’s how a new gen starts. When they release Pokémon they’ll want to sell consoles with it. So they’ll need to go big. And a yellow remake is definitely not going to. The only thing it has that is appealing is a walking Pokémon. Unfortunately it’s pikachu, which I’m sure plenty are getting tired of.

And remakes if any game aren’t appealing when it’s cheaper to get older versions for those that don’t care to fish out the money for the switch and the game.

I'm still of the opinion that if they decide to return to Kanto it'll be through a reboot rather than a direct sequel. Something that gives us something brand new, but also something old to provide some familiarity. I think that'd probably be the best way to do it.

I'm still of the opinion that if they decide to return to Kanto it'll be through a reboot rather than a direct sequel. Something that gives us something brand new, but also something old to provide some familiarity. I think that'd probably be the best way to do it.
Agreed. A re-remake would just be boring.

Agreed. A re-remake would just be boring.

Maybe to you but remakes aren’t necessarily marketed to you and I. They’re marketed to the generation of their playerbase that wasn’t around for the original, at the same time, they have to be new enough yet familiar enough for those players that have stuck around this long. If you’re saying re-remakes are boring, are you suggesting that we’ll never visit the original Kanto stories, EVER, again? That’s absurd.

As long as they make Pokémon games, there has to be remakes of Pokémon games, that’s just how it goes, and for those of you who said “but they released Gen 1 and 2 on VC”, that further proves my point, not the opposite.

1. Why didn’t they just port HGSS? Well for starters, HGSS is still playable on the DS, there was no need for a Gen 2 port when it’s still playable through the remakes on the 3DS.

2. Why didn’t they port FRLG instead of RBY? They’re vastly superior and modern variants that are still 90% recognizable as the memorable classics.

3. Why release ORAS when they could just port RSE? Kanto was a story last playable from Gen 3 as well, they were content to port Kanto over, why not Hoenn?

As you can see, VC isn’t the solution to end remakes, we want remastered versions like ORAS are to RSE. You have to realize that the last Kanto game we had was a remake that was released a year after RSE, games running the same engine that DID get remakes. Everyone who thinks we deserve DP remakes yet not Kanto remakes are being extremely biased. If you use VC as an argument against Kanto remakes, I hope they port DPPl for the Switch instead.

In the end, they’re making games for us for money, if they could double production and have yearly titles now that they, in theory, have more remakes they can do, then let them, you know damn well you and I will both buy damn near anything they throw at all, hell I even bought USUM and I hate that they pulled a double third version move on us.

Last edited:
Whatever you say, I say that making re-remakes would be pure fanservice, which some sides of the fandom may not take too nicely.

But you didn’t answer my question, what happens to the classic stories of Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. No more retellings of those? In 15 years when the 3DS is ancient technology is Nintendo gonna say “here’s a port of ORAS, deal with it”?

I doubt it. Also, the Switch has games priced at $60, which means there’s now more profit to be made than ever before off a new main series title, vs. porting old games for $10. I see no reason why Gamefreak wouldn’t eventually remake Kanto and Johto at some point within the next 6 years or so. Gen 8 could be a big one with multiple remakes.

I don't really believe in any more Kanto games, to be honest. I honestly think that we'll keep getting remakes any time a certain non-remake set of games reaches a certain age. Which means that next would be Sinnoh, and maybe in some far future even Unova remakes (although I'm not sure how exactly they'd intend to remake a Generation which also contained direct sequels its own first pair of games). Who knows. Game Freak is well known of their unpredictability, so I'm pretty confident that no one can be sure what to expect from them.

But you didn’t answer my question, what happens to the classic stories of Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. No more retellings of those? In 15 years when the 3DS is ancient technology is Nintendo gonna say “here’s a port of ORAS, deal with it”?

I doubt it. Also, the Switch has games priced at $60, which means there’s now more profit to be made than ever before off a new main series title, vs. porting old games for $10. I see no reason why Gamefreak wouldn’t eventually remake Kanto and Johto at some point within the next 6 years or so. Gen 8 could be a big one with multiple remakes.
They definitely should do remakes. However it should not be the first thing they do in the switch. Some remakes have proven to be more amazing than we expected like HGSS.

But again it’s not. A remake that’ll convince people to fish out the money for a switch.

While I just got done saying that Game Freak likes being unpredictable, I can say one thing for pretty much certain: a new Generation will never be opened with remakes. They first need to establish the new Generation with a new set of games featuring new Pokémon, region, characters etc. Otherwise the remakes simply wouldn't work.

While I just got done saying that Game Freak likes being unpredictable, I can say one thing for pretty much certain: a new Generation will never be opened with remakes. They first need to establish the new Generation with a new set of games featuring new Pokémon, region, characters etc. Otherwise the remakes simply wouldn't work.

I technically didn’t ask for remakes on a new generation, I asked for remakes to finish Gen 7 but on the Switch. It’s not something that’s totally never been done before either, GS were technically GB games and Crystal was a GBC game, I know that doesn’t entire count but it’s close. Also, twice the general community has asked for this, they asked for BW2 or Hoenn remakes on the 3DS to end Gen 5, and they asked for Stars or Eclipse to be on the Switch for Gen 7. Maybe third time is the charm? We COULD see remakes on the new system, I didn’t say it was likely, but I’m just saying, don’t rule it out.

I don't really believe in any more Kanto games, to be honest. I honestly think that we'll keep getting remakes any time a certain non-remake set of games reaches a certain age. Which means that next would be Sinnoh, and maybe in some far future even Unova remakes (although I'm not sure how exactly they'd intend to remake a Generation which also contained direct sequels its own first pair of games). Who knows. Game Freak is well known of their unpredictability, so I'm pretty confident that no one can be sure what to expect from them.

How is Sinnoh really next though? It’s been longer since Kanto got a new release, in 04 with FRLG, vs. Sinnoh last being seen in Platinum in 09. In my opinion, we’re more due for Kanto remakes than we are Sinnoh, and I like that everyone is talking about Sinnoh, because Gamefreak likes to be unpredictable and break patterns, maybe they will just do exactly that and make remakes of the remakes.

I know it’s unprecedented territory since this is the first time we’ve come up to a point where remakes exist in a generation whose games were remade, I’m talking about the Gen 3 remakes of course. If Gen 3 is old enough to be remade, that includes our last trip through Kanto, it just makes sense. Why remake a region last seen in 09 when there’s one that hasn’t been in a new game since 04?

Well, maybe Game Freak's next surprise move is to pull is to male TWO different remakes in one Generation? Sounds pretty crazy, I know. Just a theory...
...A GAME THEORY!
...I'll see myself out...

But I also said "non-remakes", by which I mean that Sinnoh is the oldest region which hasn't received ANY remakes yet. Sure, the Kanto remakes are getting old and outdated too, but is that enough to warrant a re-remake or reboot of those games?

Sure, the Kanto remakes are getting old and outdated too, but is that enough to warrant a re-remake or reboot of those games?
I think so, man, if they follow a trend of prioritizing games without remakes, then we’d never see Kanto remakes because they’d be remaking Gen 5, 6, and so on. I think within the next 6 years, we will see at least both Sinnoh and Kanto remakes, and MAYBE Johto remakes if they’re ambitious.

Here's one thing: I'm sure we all know sales are not popularity. Though to know that Nintendo's flagship series does not sell so well baffles me. Somehow, Pokemon sells better even with the largest negative association to it. That either means it's all bullshit or that the market is so big that we can't account for it. The thing is, I thought things like Mario and Zelda also had a large age range as their scope. Maybe not as large as Pokemon, but large.

Anyway, I can think of nothing that would kill it faster than to split the fandom like that. You can't JUST be nostalgia. You can't JUST be change to the point of being unrecognizable. Pokemon is what it is because it does all the things. You could make a game that is no more or less than USUM and put it on the Switch and it would break the system instantly. I know that isn't what we're getting because, as I said before, they've never failed to make additions to the franchise. More explorative elements is already a good step. Pokemon on a console alone is something beyond the hopes and dreams of anyone in the fandom. All it has to do is look great and they'll instantly have the numbers we've always seen, and maybe slightly higher.

tl;dr: The Switch changes nothing. This is the same as all other hardware jumps before it. If they didn't need to play it safe then, I don't see why they have to now.

A sequel is a sequel. Would you reall want to play a game and not understand anything that is going on because it has so much about it’s two predecessors, but they aren’t simple to get because they’re older.

It would annoy the flip out of me. If there are ever sequels they have to do as little reference to previous entries as possible, otherwise you can’t enjoy it becaise you will not understand it.

If you’re one of those few that don’t mind, then okay. But there are a lot that do mind. And we know from all the kanto pandering that they can’t even keep it out of a new region, so you think they’ll manage to keep the original Kanto and Johto stories out of it? It ruins it. Playing the original games takes a lot of patience that a lot of newer players might not have. Thus before making sequels they need to remake the others.

And a remake ain’t exciting. Why spend 360 on another Kano game when the VC is 10 on the ds, and you can spend way lest just getting a the original frlg and a system to play them on.

A Lanto game just lacks to much appeal compared to a new region with new pokemknnand characters never before seen. All kanto can offer is a few new people and avpossibly new story. But other than that to msotly the same stuff we’ve had for all other games, especially thanks to Alola forms.

Gamefreak developed Black 2 and White 2 in a way that even new players would be able to get into it without having played Black and White. They could easily do the same thing with a new Kanto game. It would have a new story, with a mixture of new and old characters, with a reference to the original here and there. There is no reason why new players can't understand what is going on.

I don't want another Kanto game. Kanto was shoved in my face in both XY and SM. I believe that the first games on the Switch are Generation 8, with an all new region, Pokemon, story, and characters.

Gen VII is the same length as gen I, gen II, gen V, and Gen VI. Literally. It may feel shorter but it isn’t.

If (highlight on the IF) Gen VIII were to begin in 2018, Gen VII will have been 2 years long (November 2016-November/December 2018).

Gen I: ~3.5 years (Feb 1996-November 1999)
Gen II: 3 years (November 1999-November 2002)
Gen V: 3 years (September 2010-October 2013)
Gen VI: 3 years (October 2013-November 2016)

If Gen VIII released in 2019, Gen VII would have been between 2.5-3 years long. We don't really know for sure the length of Gen VII until we see a more specific release window.

I say that making re-remakes would be pure fanservice

If the remakes in question are over a decade old, then what's the problem? RS got a remake in the form of ORAS, and now FRLG is even older that RS was when its remake came. Sure, you'd be "remaking remakes" but once you've gotten ~12-15 years ahead, it would seem to be equally viable for a remake or revisit of some sort (though I do believe the presence of VC slightly lessens this - and IF we were to get anything Kanto related it would have to be either a far future sequel or a heavily revamped AU).

If the remakes in question are over a decade old, then what's the problem?
The fact that we'd be visiting a region for the fifth time (Gen 1, 2, 3, and 4 all featured Kanto) while letting other regions just slip to the side. Sinnoh also hasn't been revisited in over 10 years-given the choice between a region in three games versus a region in ten, wouldn't it make more sense to go for something new?
what happens to the classic stories of Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. No more retellings of those?
What is the story of Kanto? "kid gets Pokemon, earns gym badges, fights evil team, and becomes champion"? Hasn't that been the story told in every game? It hardly had memorable characters-the Rocket admins didn't even have names. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's high-quality.

Last edited:
The fact that we'd be visiting a region for the fifth time (Gen 1, 2, 3, and 4 all featured Kanto) while letting other regions just slip to the side. Sinnoh also hasn't been revisited in over 10 years-given the choice between a region in three games versus a region in ten, wouldn't it make more sense to go for something new?
the whole "kanto's been featured in blah blah blah generations blah" is not only a tired argument, but also extremely facile. this would be a more valid point if it weren't for the fact that every region sits at either one (no remake yet) or two (yes remake), with Kanto ultimately sitting at four due to circumstance.
What is the story of Kanto? "kid gets Pokemon, earns gym badges, fights evil team, and becomes champion"? Hasn't that been the story told in every game? It hardly had memorable characters-the Rocket admins didn't even have names Just because it's old doesn't mean it's high-quality.
two bits: 1) Kanto's lack of a story doesn't preclude it ever being expanded upon. HGSS and ORAS both added a bit more meat to their stories without compromising the original direction of it. more importantly though, 2) commenting on Kanto's story blatantly avoids what they were really getting at: with ORAS we've reached the generations where the games no longer solely feature new regions; they also feature remakes. they are right in questioning how we will proceed from here.

the whole "kanto's been featured in blah blah blah generations blah" is not only a tired argument, but also extremely facile. this would be a more valid point if it weren't for the fact that every region sits at either one (no remake yet) or two (yes remake), with Kanto ultimately sitting at four due to circumstance.

two bits: 1) Kanto's lack of a story doesn't preclude it ever being expanded upon. HGSS and ORAS both added a bit more meat to their stories without compromising the original direction of it. more importantly though, 2) commenting on Kanto's story blatantly avoids what they were really getting at: with ORAS we've reached the generations where the games no longer solely feature new regions; they also feature remakes. they are right in questioning how we will proceed from here.
Not all generations will feature remakes. Gen 7 didn't. I want the new Switch game to be a new generation with all new Pokemon, region, story, and characters.

Back
Top Bottom