• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
Here's a thing I don't want:

Pokemon other than Pikachu saying their name. I haven't adjusted to the new voice actors and I wouldn't really even want the old ones for this. I'm very wary of voice acting given the games normal dialogue, but I imagine there's no stopping it if they're moving it to the Switch and want to do a story driven installment. Well, Odyssey didn't have it so maybe there's hope. But seriously, go watch Return of the King from Generations. The dialogue sounds TERRIBLE when spoken. Not all of it, just...most of it. It's absolutely stilted, like no one was ever supposed to say it out loud.

I've always kinda enioyed Pokemon saying their names in the Anime. I would not mind if they brought that to the main games.

I guess atleast Raichu should get the saying-name treatment. It seems weird that all my Pikachu knows after touching a thunderstone is to squeak, when it was perfectly content 'Pika'ing his way through battles before evolution.

If we do end up returning to Kanto, I do not want it to be a complete remake of Gen 1. I want it to be a sequel.

This is what a lot of us who support a return to Kanto have been saying all along. I feel like people were taking what we've been saying and arguing against a remake, when in fact a remake is not what we were suggesting in the first place. A sequel would be much better than another remake for Kanto, because a complete overhaul in graphics, Pokemon availability, adding brand new areas and features, and a new story would more likely please both veteran players and new players who have never played through Kanto before. A simple remake akin to FRLG would be a bad idea, especially considering the original RBYG can be played on the 3DS via Virtual Console.

Also, I do agree they would most likely not start a new Gen with a remake. But a sequel to Kanto I don't think would necessarily be out of the question either. Just the sheer fact that they introduced brand-new Pokemon in the middle of a Generation in Gen 7 has made me realize that Game Freak and TPCi are perfectly capable of pulling a fast one on us on literally anything at this point. Zeraora seems like a weird case already in that it's a Mythical that's being introduced in the middle of a Generation, or at least that's what we're being led to think because of the coding for it being in USUM.

I guess atleast Raichu should get the saying-name treatment. It seems weird that all my Pikachu knows after touching a thunderstone is to squeak, when it was perfectly content 'Pika'ing his way through battles before evolution.

I am down with this. I find Raichu's voice to be pretty adorable as well.

One of my biggest concerns with voicing all the characters is some of them losing their personality. I found that happened at times with the conversion to 3D Models over sprites, my avatar Krokorok and its evolution being two examples. Krookodile is supposed to have this evil and self-satisfied grin. He still looks menacing...mostly. But it's not really in a lovable jerk kind of way. Krokorok just stands there. It wasn't until I went back to Gen V that I suddenly remembered why I liked the line in the first place. I also think some of the Pokemon proportions do not translate well and Krookodile is one of them. Haxorus is another that is awesome in Gen V and then... well, that beer belly bump as someone called it is suddenly very awkward looking. I mean, it's subtle, but the proportions are totally out of whack here:

1468959630205.png

I kept running into Altaria in AlphaSapphire and didn't get what was so special about them. Then I ran into one in Gen V and it's the cutest darn bird I've ever seen:

334.gif~c200

Going back to Krookodile, it has one of my favorite cries. It's basically a metal guitar riff:

You can try and emulate that with a deep voice, but I don't know if it'll have the same amount of charm.

I've always kinda enioyed Pokemon saying their names in the Anime. I would not mind if they brought that to the main games.
My guess is that this was done in the anime so that kids, the primary audience, would have an easier time in learning all of their names. I doubt that the people who decided to make this a thing would've ever guessed that this show would one day reach its 1000th episode.

But anyway, I doubt that this'll become a thing in the games. Pikachu's status as the mascot of Pokémon and Ikue Ohtani's voice for him are just so iconic that they can be used as arguments to support this exception. Let's face it: other Pokémon side animes (i.e. Origins and Generations) give all Pokémon more animalistic voices, which makes sense when you listen to the Pokémon's game cries.

... there's no practical difference between those terms anymore.

That doesn't change the fact we are talking about a 2011 device who has no GBA games released on it outside the Ambassador Program, which actually has its own sets of little problems. Do you imagine Nintendo releasing Ruby and Sapphire on 3DS with both games unable to connect with each other and with Pokémon Bank?

This is what a lot of us who support a return to Kanto have been saying all along. I feel like people were taking what we've been saying and arguing against a remake, when in fact a remake is not what we were suggesting in the first place. A sequel would be much better than another remake for Kanto, because a complete overhaul in graphics, Pokemon availability, adding brand new areas and features, and a new story would more likely please both veteran players and new players who have never played through Kanto before. A simple remake akin to FRLG would be a bad idea, especially considering the original RBYG can be played on the 3DS via Virtual Console.

Also, I do agree they would most likely not start a new Gen with a remake. But a sequel to Kanto I don't think would necessarily be out of the question either. Just the sheer fact that they introduced brand-new Pokemon in the middle of a Generation in Gen 7 has made me realize that Game Freak and TPCi are perfectly capable of pulling a fast one on us on literally anything at this point. Zeraora seems like a weird case already in that it's a Mythical that's being introduced in the middle of a Generation, or at least that's what we're being led to think because of the coding for it being in USUM.

That’s why I’ve been pointing out why sequels don’t appeal ether. They are appealing if they remake Kanto and Johto. People seem to be ignoring the fact that Johto is a sequel to Kanto and that’s two games of story. Say someone has only switch and decides to get into the series. Why should enjoyment be taken from the game becaise it’s a sequel to two others and they can’t understand the story or the references. The kanto Johto story isn’t fresh in our minds. If they decide to remake kanto and Johto and do a sequel after a new gen then that would work and be appealing becaise then they attract all kinds of fans.

And again it won’t attract genwunners becaise they don’t like the changes to the games.

They do need to work on some 3D models. Mr Mime is creepy as flip. And I really hope they don’t abandon the cries. It’s so lame how they can only say their names in the anime. I like them having cries and when you talk to them in games they have all kinds of different texts from their name to saying something almost human. And it’s more like real creatures. My dog doesn’t sit there going chihuahua chi chi chihuahua. She barks and growls and whines and all different kinds of sounds. It’s cooler.

I definitely hope they change some of the models, it always bothered me that none of the Cyndaquil line has it's flames activated, even when it it's in battle! It looks so odd.
I completely agree. And I know it’s been said plenty of times, but some of the flying pokemon’s animations really look unnatural and should be changed to something closer to their colo/xd models, like Xatu and Tropius.

If we're on the topic of models, I hope they change Torkoal's smoke. It looked fine in the sprites, but its 3D model bothers me. I feel like the smoke should be dispersing more, and the shading of it looks a little off compared to the rest of Torkoal's model.

Spr_7s_324.png

Why should enjoyment be taken from the game becaise it’s a sequel to two others and they can’t understand the story or the references.

GSC are sequels to RBY and they stand on their own perfectly well enough. Heck, even B2W2 can be played just fine without having played BW (admittedly, the story wouldn't be quite as interesting, but you get my point). Besides, what story do Gen I/II even have? It's the simplest and least interesting story in the series. And if anybody is that concerned, it wouldn't take anything to brush up. Plus they're all available on VC. It's a totally moot point. If any old game were to get some form of sequel (though in this case I would expect a psuedo sequel in an AU), it's Kanto.

I definitely hope they change some of the models, it always bothered me that none of the Cyndaquil line has it's flames activated, even when it it's in battle! It looks so odd.
It honestly makes me really sad! Porcupine quills made out of fire is such a unique concept, and it's just thrown out the window!

GSC are sequels to RBY and they stand on their own perfectly well enough. Heck, even B2W2 can be played just fine without having played BW (admittedly, the story wouldn't be quite as interesting, but you get my point). Besides, what story do Gen I/II even have? It's the simplest and least interesting story in the series. And if anybody is that concerned, it wouldn't take anything to brush up. Plus they're all available on VC. It's a totally moot point. If any old game were to get some form of sequel (though in this case I would expect a psuedo sequel in an AU), it's Kanto.
Have you played gen 1 lately? It’s irritatingly slow. And newest gamers especially considering the large differences. There is still a story there too. One that connects over two games. And just becaise you’re fine with not knowing the other half a story doesn’t mean others are and thus they would lose more by starting the switch off with a sequel. And ignoring the patience earlier games take- if someone doesn’t have a 3ds they can’t go and buy the vc version. Switch doesn’t have virtual console yet. At this current time it is not ideal for a sequel to kanto.

Generations summed up the Team Rocket story in around 13 minutes. I'd suggest Origins, but I don't think that a movie-length special is a practical game introduction. And they could create a new short if they wanted to emphasize more connections to the older games.

Nothing stops them from re-releasing FRLG and HGSS this year, either. The Switch's Virtual Console has been confirmed for this year, while the Pokemon games haven't.

Last edited:
Do you imagine Nintendo releasing Ruby and Sapphire on 3DS with both games unable to connect with each other and with Pokémon Bank?
No, they'll definitely find some way to emulate link (or wireless) functionality like they already did with Gens 1 and 2.

No, they'll definitely find some way to emulate link (or wireless) functionality like they already did with Gens 1 and 2.

Let me explain it — GBA games can't be 'Virtually Consoled-ly' in 3DS.
The way the Ambassador Program GBA games work is the same as a DS cartridge: you can't press Home without shutting them down. When you're playing a DS game or a GBA game on your 3DS the console can't do anything else at all — no suspended mode, no internet browser, etc.

If I remember correctly, some Ambassador GBA didn't support wireless playing because 3DS itself cannot handle it they way it is built.

The way the Ambassador Program GBA games work is the same as a DS cartridge.
I'm of the opinion that Nintendo could do a proper GBA VC on the 3DS if they wanted to (i.e. one that would not require switching the hardware to DS mode), however I have no research to back up this opinion.

Back
Top Bottom