• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
Ultra Necrozma. How silly.

I still find it hard to imagine that movie girl with a Zeraora (there is nothing feminine or mystical about it, which is what she exudes). They could reveal it next month (like with Hoopa) and the games on February 27th alongside a new Pokemon, but for the time being 2018 seems unlikely.

In terms of an old mythical they could use next year... I'm drawing a blank. The most popular ones, I'd think, are Mew, Celebi and Arceus which have all been distributed during this generation. There's Darkrai, but why not keep it for remakes?
They could use Meloetta. It never got a movie. Only mythical so far which didn't. If the games are indeed for 2019 then the 22nd movie could have it alongside a new Pokemon.
Also just realized the Sun and Moon movies are the only ones to not have featured any of its cover legendaries. Every prior series did.

It probably means nothing, but why are TPCi are hinting them on USUM tcg and merchandise on pokeshopper? Would it indicate the Gen IV Remake early as expect? Which I doubt it, there's no way too make a fresh start on Switch with remake. Especially it strongly points to Gen VIII being on the Switch, But still it's strange , why sinnoh so early?
I saw that too, what the hell. Sinnoh starters+Dialga/Palkia is an out there move. I don't expect remakes till 2020 tbh, and I really don't want Sinnoh in the Gen 7 Engine. However, what if it is coming afterall? I mean, on a technical point, USM was mentioned as the last MAIN series games on the 3DS. Gamefreak does not include remakes iirc, so perhaps Pokemon is going annual, and Sinnoh on 3DS with the Switch game in 2019? Nah, thats too much.

As for Kanto/Johto first, it makes sense actually. Both BOTW and SMO as an inspiration could mean less open world, and more back to the basics. Reintroducing Kanto/Johto in an entirely new way with how the game world is explored, battles take place, and whatever new changes come along would be a far more sensible move then going to a new region with new stuff. I mean, people would be far more accepting of changes if gently shoved in that direction with the marketing buzz of a 20 years in the future Kanto/Johto that is entirely different.

I saw that too, what the hell. Sinnoh starters+Dialga/Palkia is an out there move. I don't expect remakes till 2020 tbh, and I really don't want Sinnoh in the Gen 7 Engine. However, what if it is coming afterall? I mean, on a technical point, USM was mentioned as the last MAIN series games on the 3DS. Gamefreak does not include remakes iirc, so perhaps Pokemon is going annual, and Sinnoh on 3DS with the Switch game in 2019? Nah, thats too much.

As for Kanto/Johto first, it makes sense actually. Both BOTW and SMO as an inspiration could mean less open world, and more back to the basics. Reintroducing Kanto/Johto in an entirely new way with how the game world is explored, battles take place, and whatever new changes come along would be a far more sensible move then going to a new region with new stuff. I mean, people would be far more accepting of changes if gently shoved in that direction with the marketing buzz of a 20 years in the future Kanto/Johto that is entirely different.
Tbh, at first, USUM tcg hints toward sinnoh, which leaves the fans question about DP Remake soon, which is unlikely. If we get Gen VIII in 2019, then we'll get DP Remake next in 2020.

As for Kanto/Johto Sequel, there are a lot hints and reference to Kanto itself with SM being a 20th anniversary, Pokemon I choose you movie, pokemon go, USUM RR episode cliffhanger with Giovanni, and the upcoming movie possibly focus on Lugia. It would be a testing starting point before moving to Gen VIII.

I'm sure it won't be THAT different if they did so something. GF is a company that doesn't like major changes. They won't jeopardize what they have already built up as a standard just because they're moving to a new system. It's probably something that just enhances the current system, but in a more profound way than mega evolutions or z moves

Remind me why we're taking this guy's tweets seriously? Has he correctly predicted anything of note?

Edit: didn't see 8ther's post, seconding what they asked

Oh I hope not.....I HATE the way Pokken controls......I've never played Ni No Kuni, but people have been speculating that that kind of gameplay or maybe even a Xenoblade style of gameplay may be something they'd do. Those are just speculations tho. Either way I have to imagine that the controls wont be TOO confusing or anything. They still need to appeal to their main demographic which is kids and on top of that they'd need to make ti so that the overall strategy of the game doesn't change much. If there battle system does change a decent amount then I could see them having another option in the game settings to give the play the option to change it back to turn based gameplay. They would then have the traditional settings like set/switch, etc, but then also have maybe a "style" option that would change the gameplay altogether.

The reason we're paying attention to him is because he's been around for a while as a person of interest. Supposedly even since gen 4. Back in gen 6 he was one of the big leaker I believe and apparently even translated the gen 7 starter final evo scans from when they leaked last year. He does seem to know something about gen 8, but it's a matter of how much we don't know for sure.

I'm wondering when we'll first start hearing more news about the Switch game. I know USUM has only been out for another month, but I'm just really excited about what could possibly be done on the Switch.

I'm wondering when we'll first start hearing more news about the Switch game. I know USUM has only been out for another month, but I'm just really excited about what could possibly be done on the Switch.
At worst, one year. I don't think they'd starve us until the middle of 2019. XY was revealed at the very beginning of 2013 because of how late it would be coming.

When they announce the game depends on when it comes out. If it comes out next year (likely late fall) then we'll hear about it in the next few months. If late 2019 then the same months only in 2019. If it comes out earlier in 2019 then maybe late 2018. For initial gen games they usually try to give it close to a year of advertising. 8-10 months anyway

Okay, BotW/Odyssey are not just about going back to basics. In fact, Odyssey really isn't doing that at all, if you're just looking for a Mario game that goes back to basics NSMB and 3D World are more in line with that philosophy. BotW and Odyssey are praised for a few reasons:

1. Because they apply the core appeal of their series to a console environment. It's not about which style was first. It's about which one fit a console game. BotW reverting to the same style as the original games made sense because it was a more open and explorable gameplay style, as opposed to the style more recent games had adopted which had a more scripted approach. For Odyssey though, the opposite made more sense. Traditional Mario gameplay is designed to be linear and bite sized, and fans weren't happy when they tried applying it to a 3D space with games like 3D Land and 3D World. So they went back to the Mario 64 style which allowed you to run and jump through 3D spaces and use your platforming skills to explore. There's nothing really "back to basics" about the latter, it's actually the more complex of the two styles. But what it does have in common with BotW is that it returned to a style of game that would appeal to more of a console audience.
2. They allow for an unheard of sense of freedom and experimentation. The game worlds are about as unrestrictive as you can get and the gameplay encourages you to adopt your own style of playing and come up with your own solutions to problems. BotW had a wide variety of items and intricate physics that allowed you to come up with multiple ways to attack an enemy or explore. Odyssey gave Mario a large repertoire of platforming moves and designed its levels so you could reach an objective in multiple ways.

The approach you're describing isn't like BotW and Odyssey, the changes in those games were radical departures from previous games, they weren't gradual trends towards that direction, they were sudden shifts. That's why they're described as "disruptive". So using Kanto as a way to ease into the console space isn't really using those games as inspiration. A BotW/Odyssey inspired Pokemon game would probably feature a more open and explorable region, less scripted events and more of a focus on adventure, and an overhaul of gameplay mechanics to allow players to come up with their own strategies in battle and ways of navigating the overworld. A Kanto sequel probably isn't the best candidate for such a game, this would be better suited for a new region.

Pokemon isn't Nintendo. I mean that in sense they aren't made Nintendo EPD. Pokemon it's his beast with a creative team

Fire emblem and kirby are same situation they are 2nd party games. Don't know why people insist on Pokemon having a big change like a mario or zelda

Mario and zelda are like pixar

Pokemon is like dream works

If you anyone watches animated films you would understand this analogy

Pokemon isn't Nintendo. I mean that in sense they aren't made Nintendo EPD. Pokemon it's his beast with a creative team

Fire emblem and kirby are same situation they are 2nd party games. Don't know why people insist on Pokemon having a big change like a mario or zelda

Mario and zelda are like pixar

Pokemon is like dream works

If you anyone watches animated films you would understand this analogy
I get what you are saying when you mention Kirby and Fire Emblem as 2nd party games, but I think it is fair to compare Pokemon Switch to BotW and Odyssey as GameFreak staff have stated that they want to make that kind of change (allegedly). Also, that was a bad example. Mario and Zelda are akin to animated films from Disney proper (1st party) whereas Pokémon is like Disney Pixar films (2nd party). Something like Skyrim/Doom would be akin to Dream Works (3rd party). At best you could argue something like Yokai Watch/MMBN is Pixar (3rd party but frequent collaborator.)

If pokemon for switch comes in middle of 2019 i think it will be october/november reveal without any info (like sun and moon) the first reveal will be the mythical pokemon for the movie in december, and than we will start getting info on february

Pokken-like fighting is implied. I'm sure that it won't go that far, but maybe there is some middle point.
I doubt it'll end up like that. Do you have any idea how many pokemon they'd have to program?! Then again I can't imagine what other way they can change the battle system, yet stay with the roots.

I get what you are saying when you mention Kirby and Fire Emblem as 2nd party games, but I think it is fair to compare Pokemon Switch to BotW and Odyssey as GameFreak staff have stated that they want to make that kind of change (allegedly). Also, that was a bad example. Mario and Zelda are akin to animated films from Disney proper (1st party) whereas Pokémon is like Disney Pixar films (2nd party). Something like Skyrim/Doom would be akin to Dream Works (3rd party). At best you could argue something like Yokai Watch/MMBN is Pixar (3rd party but frequent collaborator.)
They haven't said that tho

Remind me why we're taking this guy's tweets seriously? Has he correctly predicted anything of note?

Edit: didn't see 8ther's post, seconding what they asked
He's the one who translated the Starters leak.

Back
Top Bottom