• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Return of Walking Pokemon?

Please just let it be an overworld feature. The SM games lag already, but it gets worse when the pokemon on the field is huge in size. I like the walking pokemon feature, but I can't see the games being able to support large pokemon following trainer without causing any lag.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure this will be a thing. Yes, we saw the thing with the Rockruff, but I feel like that's more over world related than actual Pokemon following you. Maybe you're playing with an NPC's rockruff or a random one? I just don't see it being a Pokemon that follows you around. My reasoning is that there's over 800 Pokemon, and you'd have to add in shiny over world sprites, and the lag from bigger sprites such as Wailord, Groudon, etc.. I don't entirely believe the 3DS would be able to handle it without it causing major lag.

My reasoning is that there's over 800 Pokemon, and you'd have to add in shiny over world sprites

Shinies would just be recolors of the animations that they've already made. I doubt it would be terribly difficult to manage.

My entire thoughts on the prospect of walking Pokemon is just meh... for those who enjoy the feature I hope GF somehow accommodates it for you. If GF does implement it, I hope there is some reasonable limitations behind it... for example, being followed by a gigantic legendary bird is comical at best.

My reasoning is that there's over 800 Pokemon, and you'd have to add in shiny over world sprites, and the lag from bigger sprites such as Wailord, Groudon, etc.. I don't entirely believe the 3DS would be able to handle it without it causing major lag.

They've already made animations for all 802, though, and the Shinies themselves would just require textures, which they already have.

I do think the feature would be a bit restricted, though. It wouldn't make much sense to have Pokemon that require water to move following the player in the overworld. With sprites, it was different as they weren't 3D environments.

And would an extra low-poly model really cause that much lag like people are suggesting? They wouldn't be high-poly like in battles.

My entire thoughts on the prospect of walking Pokemon is just meh... for those who enjoy the feature I hope GF somehow accommodates it for you. If GF does implement it, I hope there is some reasonable limitations behind it... for example, being followed by a gigantic legendary bird is comical at best.

If Gamefreak ever adds it back they really need to make it optional. I really don't care for the feature myself. I get frustrated with not being able to actually have the Pokemon I love following me because it's always the Pokemon that I like for battle that aren't as cute that are following me instead due to the way that GF implements the feature. As long as the feature is like it is right now I don't want it. I'll gladly take it is an optional feature because I don't mean to take beloved features away from other people for no reason, but it *has* to be optional, and I'm not sure that GF would ever implement it that way.

Besides, to me, the feature seems really outdated as it is. If technology had allowed in Yellow, I'm pretty sure Pikachu would have been on the trainer's shoulder, instead of walking behind. The whole feature just doesn't feel very natural to me because of that. The Pokemon needs to act more natural than acting like it's a train car attached behind you.

I'll gladly take it is an optional feature because I don't mean to take beloved features away from other people for no reason, but it *has* to be optional, and I'm not sure that GF would ever implement it that way.

If it were optional, the only reason I would even consider the walking option is if it somehow (I mean actually helped) with the increasing friendship that is required to evolve certain Pokemon.

I'll take it even in a limited fashion like we had in DPPt's Amity Square, walking Pokémon is a feature I really did enjoy. If it can be done then why shouldn't it?
Though, it wouldn't destroy my playing experience if there's no walking Pokémon after all.

In the event a Wailord is chosen as the following pokemon (excluding lag):

1. It's not up to scale! Wailord isn't supposed to be that small!

Or

2. It's way too accurate in size and all I can see on my screen is Wailord! (I zoomed out to see the road and my character is just a speck!)

Meh... I am personally not a big fan of walking Pokémon; I never was. It just screams unnecessary to me! Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate the idea. I am totally okay both ways, and would appreciate the feature if it is for an Amity Square-esque area, but for the entire region... Not for me, at least!

Besides, I don't think Rockruff following the player is blatantly indicative of the return of Walking Pokémon. I see it as an in-game event *cough*Lycanroc-Dusk*cough* more than anything else.

Meh... I am personally not a big fan of walking Pokémon; I never was. It just screams unnecessary to me! Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate the idea. I am totally okay both ways, and would appreciate the feature if it is for an Amity Square-esque area, but for the entire region... Not for me, at least!

Besides, I don't think Rockruff following the player is blatantly indicative of the return of Walking Pokémon. I see it as an in-game event *cough*Lycanroc-Dusk*cough* more than anything else.
If it is only the Mystery Gift Rockruff, I wonder why then would they only include one Pokémon for Following You when there's data for them all. :/

If it is only the Mystery Gift Rockruff, I wonder why then would they only include one Pokémon for Following You when there's data for them all. :/
Yes. Why limit Pokemon following behind you to an event only mon when they have the data for them all?
Well, I meant Rockruff following the player as a part of the event, not for the entire game, just like how Meloetta dances around the player in Café Sonata in BW2.

I want walking Pokemon to come back. It's one of my favorite features in the series. And those of you who think that this feature will lag the game, then you're wrong. The models in the data are low poly and no one reported lag in the overworld. This feature won't be too much of a problem.

Eh, walking Pokemon was a nice way to bond with your Pokemon, but there's little else to it. For them to bring it back they're probably going to want to give it some kind of practical use, maybe having something to do with Amie/Refresh or Poke Ride.

Eh, walking Pokemon was a nice way to bond with your Pokemon, but there's little else to it. For them to bring it back they're probably going to want to give it some kind of practical use, maybe having something to do with Amie/Refresh or Poke Ride.

Yeah, I really like the idea of it being unlocked after one or two levels in Refresh. That way it can feel a little more meaningful and also give people who don't like it a way to not have to use it (of course, just being able to change it in the settings or something would be more simple, but GameFreak makes really weird ways to unlock stuff sometimes).

I want walking Pokemon to come back. It's one of my favorite features in the series. And those of you who think that this feature will lag the game, then you're wrong. The models in the data are low poly and no one reported lag in the overworld. This feature won't be too much of a problem.
The thing is, the 7th gen games have models that are up to scale, not as sprites like in HGSS where pokemon like Lugia are just as tall as Lyra.

No one reported lag in the overworld because there's no fully realized Wailord or Groudon in the overworld.

And even if walking animations are found in the data... I honestly have a hard time picturing a Slakoth keeping up with the trainer running and hopping down ledges.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom