• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Return of Walking Pokemon?

Does the size of the 3D model really matter? How is that different from Ride Pokemon which were also quite large?

Well, the size does take up space, could cause lagging with multiple on the screen at once and etc. Could just be me, but there are times I experienced minor lag riding on Sharpedo. They probably would want to perfect it before implementation.

Well, the size does take up space, could cause lagging with multiple on the screen at once and etc. Could just be me, but there are times I experienced minor lag riding on Sharpedo. They probably would want to perfect it before implementation.

I don't think I've noticed lag when riding Sharpedo personally. But any potential lag would probably be caused by its speed, not its size.

Anyway, I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure if the 3DS could handle it. It just seems a little silly that one extra model on the screen would break the game. And even if it did I'm sure they could adjust each area to make room for the walking Pokemon.

I don't think I've noticed lag when riding Sharpedo personally. But any potential lag would probably be caused by its speed, not its size.

Anyway, I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure if the 3DS could handle it. It just seems a little silly that one extra model on the screen would break the game. And even if it did I'm sure they could adjust each area to make room for the walking Pokemon.

True, and it wasn't all the time I had lag. Other people said they had lag in places I didn't so it all depends. I don't think it would break the game, either, but it's just why I think they don't implement things like this on the first game on a new console.

I wouldn't care one way or another if walking Pokemon are in the games or not. I've never cared much for the feature. Though the walking models that were found certainly are an interesting find that could point to something related to Pokemon following the trainer to some extent.

I would honestly be disappointed if the feature is not utilized after going to the trouble of making an animation for EVERY SINGLE POKEMON (or 2 actually).

If there is some problem with the feature that causes performance issues or something I could imagine they might still come out with a switch game with it at some point.

If the DS can handle it, I'm sure that the 3DS can as well.

That makes zero sense... HGSS on the DS used 2D sprites made of pixels, something that's been done in similar fashion for decades, now. SM/USUM are full 3D models with more than 2-3 animated positions, but rather dozens.

Now then, I still think walking Pokemon is a very real possibility. The existence of walking and running animations for every single Pokémon is a HUGE suggestion of it. And the overworked never experienced any frame rate or lag issues to my knowledge. It could probably handle walking Pokémon just well enough.

EDIT: Wait a sec, we have Ride Pokémon. Of course it works. So yeah, walking Pokémon is super likely.

Last edited:
The fact that we have pokemon like meowth and slowpoke just outside with trainers is enough for me to think it should be possible.

It's different from battles I'd think, if lag is somehow a problem. Walking shouldn't be making the game work as hard as say... making 4 models (plus trainers) animate, as well as calculating said pokemon's actions and then animating attacks.

It's absolutely possible. It shouldn't cause any issues. Ride Pokémon alone prove it. And I highly doubt they'd scrap 802 models and their collective 1604 animations. Walking Pokémon is very likely, and was found in SM datamining, just like Mega Lati@s was found in XY datamining.

It's different from battles I'd think, if lag is somehow a problem. Walking shouldn't be making the game work as hard as say... making 4 models (plus trainers) animate, as well as calculating said pokemon's actions and then animating attacks.
The real difference is the fact that the walking models are low-poly. If Game Freak had simply used them for battles (with different animations), there wouldn't have been any lag issues.

My best guess is that if the feature is brought back in USUM, they' have to put on limits on the feature to make sure the game doesn't crash. For example, it might just be limited to smaller Pokémon, or maybe it would only work in certain areas. There's also the unfortunate possibility of the feature being limited for the potential Switch release. Any of these situations would surely suck, but they'd also be understandable given the limitations of the 3DS.

I guess some people would get really surprised about how much one model could lag out a console, specially a handheld.
Anyways, MAN DO I WANT SOME WALKING POKÉMON BEHIND ME! I'm soft resetting for a shiny Type: Null, and I SO want it walking with me. Or also one of my shiny Mimikyus. Wouldn't mind my beautiful shiny Mudsdale galloping, too.
Or like I said on the Ride Pokémon thread, GALLOPING ON MY SHINY MUDSDALE OOOH YEEAAAHH

Anyways: I want to see my shinies walking around with me.

I doubt it. I mean, I wouldn't mind it, but some Pokemon are just going to be illogical to have following you.

If walking Pokemon is a feature, I would base my team around having this feature, because seeing Pokemon following around is a different experience from confining them in a party out of view. As an example, Komala have very appealing walking/running animations, which is enough for me to add it to my team (even if it levels up slower).

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom