• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Wow back again I just found a shiny Spheal with Ice body in the friend safari after 172 random encounters
Lax nature 31 IVs in HP , Attack, and Defense !

It definitely seems to me like it has a higher rate, mainly due to the fact that I've been finding them at a rate of 1 per 4 hours. Previously in other games and routes inside of the other games and X/Y, even with a small amount of available Pokemon in each route I could spend hours and hours on that route and end up finding nothing at all. It was strange, at one point I found Shiny Kecleon and Shiny Espurr within 10 minutes of each other.

I used to spend over 10 hours on a route or in a cave (too much time on my hands lol), nothing would come up shiny.

Believe what you want, I'll believe what I've seen around the Internet, along with my own empirical research. I did a bit of math earlier: if the shiny chance was 1/4096 in there too and you did 10 hours of searching with an average of 20 seconds per encounter, the chance of finding even one would only be about 35%; I find it impossible that I'd be that lucky to get all eight I've obtained in some 30-40 hours of Safari with odds like that.

Thought I just caught my first Shiny.... turns out it wasn't and my being colorblind tricked me. I wonder how many pokemon I've fainted quickly and never noticed they were shiny because I'm somewhat colorblind.
Hopefully none; if you've been paying attention, you probably wouldn't have missed the sparkle effect and the added sound effect :p

How can it not just be that you were lucky? I found 4 shinies in a 24-hour period in the regular wild not too long ago.

Believe what you want, I'll believe what I've seen around the Internet, along with my own empirical research. I did a bit of math earlier: if the shiny chance was 1/4096 in there too and you did 10 hours of searching with an average of 20 seconds per encounter, the chance of finding even one would only be about 35%; I find it impossible that I'd be that lucky to get all eight I've obtained in some 30-40 hours of Safari with odds like that.

Thought I just caught my first Shiny.... turns out it wasn't and my being colorblind tricked me. I wonder how many pokemon I've fainted quickly and never noticed they were shiny because I'm somewhat colorblind.
Hopefully none; if you've been paying attention, you probably wouldn't have missed the sparkle effect and the added sound effect :p

How can it not just be that you were lucky? I found 4 shinies in a 24-hour period in the regular wild not too long ago.

Sure, you can try to overthrow any argument by claims of lucky streaks (2.3% chance for yours to occur with the same parameters), and that works either way around - but even with that, 1 in 6 hours is still rarer than 1 in 5 hours. I'd be thrilled to know how many hours on average Zima spent on his 30+ shinies but it seems he's left the site now for whatever reason.

But, as said, I don't really care what you believe as long as it isn't away from others' shiny counts.

Well, in the end it doesn't matter if I think the rate is higher. If it is, I'm probably still abusing it any way since I use the Safari a lot to find pokemon I need to breed 5IV versions of (and found a Shiny Corsola in the process)

Just hatched a Shiny Porygon, relatively superior, spread 31/x/31/31/x/31. The Ditto was Japanese and the only perfect IV it had was Speed.

I decided to try Chain Fishing today, and managed to find shiny Octillery almost immediately. I kept doing it, and eventually encountered shiny Corsola! I've always dreamed of one, and now I finally own one! Also, when I was browsing through Friend Safaris yesterday, I managed to find shiny Espurr by accident. It's cute! It has max IVs in SP.Def and HP, but fairly poor IVs in all other stats... But it's alright, it's way too cute.

Hatched a Shiny Aron just now, it was only the 18th egg while Masuda-ing. However it took me forever to get 5IV Arons in both english and Korean to breed together.
Sadly though, despite having 2 parents with the EXACT SAME STATS and a Destiny Knot AND Power item (their spreads were 31/31/31/x/31/31), it still wound up with x/31/31/x/31/x.

Shiny tentacool! His name is emerald after the other shiny tentacool I caught in emerald also it's green.. Yeah.

Just randomly hatched the first shiny in my life, a shiny Rhyhorn. And I was breeding for IVs, and it has a spread of 31/31/31/x/31/31, which is exactly what I was aiming for. With the nature I want locked onto the bred Rhyhorn(s) actually before getting the IVs, which is not what I usually do. And no Masudaing. Neat.

Found a shiny RE Gligar while training the other day. I was surprised, considering it's been years since the last time I found a shiny by random encounter.

Just randomly hatched the first shiny in my life, a shiny Rhyhorn. And I was breeding for IVs, and it has a spread of 31/31/31/x/31/31, which is exactly what I was aiming for. With the nature I want locked onto the bred Rhyhorn(s) actually before getting the IVs, which is not what I usually do. And no Masudaing. Neat.
Congratulations! That sounds like a beastly shiny. XD

Congratulations! That sounds like a beastly shiny. XD

Thanks! It surely is. If it wasn't for stats, I would've traded it away (not through WT, though) - shinies aren't that big of a deal for me, and it would've made someone happy. But its egg groups and stats are just way too convenient... :D

Last edited:
Today, I looked at my Golurk Titan's stats on my copy of X and didn't like how they turned out. So I dropped everything but his Attack and headed to Kiloude Town. I went to a Dragon Friend Safari, only intending to KO whatever popped in front of me. All I wanted was Attack EVs. So when I had my fifth encounter, I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary.

O HAI THERE SHINY DRUDDIGON!

It took me something like 7 balls to corral the blasted thing but I was finally able to catch him. His Nature is awful--Modest--and his stats aren't great but who cares? I gots me a shiny! Now I should hang out in one of Ghost Safaris and see if I can nail down a shiny Golurk...

OkayI admit I'm addicted to friend safari hunting lol finally after 831 encounters I found a shiny Magmar with its HA and a sassy nature , haven't checked its IVs yet

I tried consecutive fishing for the first time and caught a shiny Gyarados after a chain of less-than-ten. I was very surprised. :3

His nickname is Krov', which is Russian for blood. X3

At 11:30 CST, I caught a shiny Carvanha. <3 He's Impish.

It took a chain of 55 to encounter him.

Caught a third shiny Octillery o_o Timid, female, perfect HP and Defense. Still on the hunt for the Frogadier I want.

I bet after 10 more Octillery you'll get the Frogadier of your dreams! I'm being sarcastic ofc, but hang in there! :p

________________________________________________________________________________

And the last to shinies I've found were a Pumpkaboo after breeding around 700 eggs. But he's supersized and I love him. <3

I also got a shiny Lillipup, and shiny Clamperl. Lillipup from the friend safari, and Clamperl from chain fishing.

Back
Top Bottom