• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

I ran into a shiny Geodude in a horde encounter recently while Ev training. Sadly, I didn't realize it was shiny until I defeated them

Just now, I was hunting for female safari pokemon I could breed 5IVs of, and while looking for a Rhydon I ran into a shiny corsola~

Caught it immediately, saved three times, carried on with my original task.

That's my ritual now. Catch a shiny, save three times.

Earlier today, I encountered a shiny Lapras in the Friend Safari. Her first move was Perish Song, and she ended up fainting at the end. I'm pretty upset.

How is everyone finding all these shinies in X/Y? Does tipping have anything to do with it? Because I tip quite a bit and haven't found a single one. :sweat: Pretty awesome finds though!

How is everyone finding all these shinies in X/Y? Does tipping have anything to do with it? Because I tip quite a bit and haven't found a single one. :sweat: Pretty awesome finds though!
Its never been proven tipping has any affect on shiny encounters. Ive found many shinies and I haven't tipped.

I literally just caught a shiny Sneasel. This day got so much better. XD

I'm glad I ended up with a female.

Last time, I was watching this video about a shiny hunting machine this guy built. He left it overnight and got a couple of shiny Ponytas and a shiny Braixen. I then thought, why not go look for a shiny Braixen in Friend Safary. Less than 10 encounters later, a shiny Growlithe appeared.

About sixty minutes ago, I caught a shiny Pachirisu while watching a video of a person's encounter with one. :3

He's adorable.

Friend Safari has an absurdly high shiny encounter rate. While they don't obviously drop every second, chances are you'll come across one by spending only a few hours actively searching for one. And then there's the chain fishing with its own elevated chances as well. Also, as said, no relation between tipping and shinies has been proven.

I just caught a shiny Electrode. :3

He's Docile and has relatively superior potential. I'd say he has the most awesome known IVs I have ever seen.

His HP and Special Attack are 31.

Attack is 0.

Friend Safari has an absurdly high shiny encounter rate. While they don't obviously drop every second, chances are you'll come across one by spending only a few hours actively searching for one. And then there's the chain fishing with its own elevated chances as well. Also, as said, no relation between tipping and shinies has been proven.
Oh, OK. I'll probably do a bit of Friend Safari on the weekend and see if I can get one.

I just hatched a MM shiny Treecko! He has his HA and Timid nature but a 31 in Sp Def lol but I'm all the more excited ! It took me about 240 eggs !

I really don't think the friend safari has a higher shiny rate. The shiny rate is already naturally double what it was in previous generations, and the safari is just where people tend to spend the most time after beating the game, meaning there are more reports of shiny pokemon in the safari and as a result a skewed view appears.

I really don't think the friend safari has a higher shiny rate. The shiny rate is already naturally double what it was in previous generations, and the safari is just where people tend to spend the most time after beating the game, meaning there are more reports of shiny pokemon in the safari and as a result a skewed view appears.

I doubt it. I do a ton of non-Safari wild encounters and hatch ridiculous number of eggs, and I am yet to properly encounter a shiny. That said, I haven't encountered a shiny in a Safari either, but overall I've barely spent 40 minutes there

I've always thought the only reason the shiny rate seems higher is because you're running into the same 2-3 Pokemon over and over. I've found a couple in it just running around, but it's never seemed like it's been that drastically increased.
Unless there's hard evidence that's came up, however.

Indeed. I'm only willing to believe the safari has a higher rate if someone who can hack into the game can prove it.

Thought I just caught my first Shiny.... turns out it wasn't and my being colorblind tricked me. I wonder how many pokemon I've fainted quickly and never noticed they were shiny because I'm somewhat colorblind.

Indeed. I'm only willing to believe the safari has a higher rate if someone who can hack into the game can prove it.
Believe what you want, I'll believe what I've seen around the Internet, along with my own empirical research. I did a bit of math earlier: if the shiny chance was 1/4096 in there too and you did 10 hours of searching with an average of 20 seconds per encounter, the chance of finding even one would only be about 35%; I find it impossible that I'd be that lucky to get all eight I've obtained in some 30-40 hours of Safari with odds like that.

Thought I just caught my first Shiny.... turns out it wasn't and my being colorblind tricked me. I wonder how many pokemon I've fainted quickly and never noticed they were shiny because I'm somewhat colorblind.
Hopefully none; if you've been paying attention, you probably wouldn't have missed the sparkle effect and the added sound effect :p

I just encountered a shiny Magcargo in a Friend Safari.
Nature: Modest
Ability: Flame Body
IVs (HP/ATK/DEF/SP ATK/SP DEF/SPD): 0/31/31/22/12/8

I know these stats are terrible. RNG really hates me. Special Attack is decent and Defense is perfect, but 0 HP IVs makes it unusable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom