• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that you've always done in the Pokemon games

- Get a Pikachu.. I have Raichu in both my Red and Platinum parties:B I was going to use it in SS too but I think I might use a Mareep-Flaafy-Ampharos instead for a change.

I ALWAYS pick the fire starter first to test it out then if I restart I pick the others

I Always first name my character my actual name, then catch a flying type x]

Always name the player character my name, catch and train the early bird (pidgey, tailow, starly) and catch a magikarp asap to evolve into Gyarados

In any game that allows me to train before fighting my rival for the first time, I always level to lvl 10.

I also name all of my pokemon.

I get a Gyarados before the second gym.

Flying type is a must... they're always in my party and its always the first flying type I catch XD

For instance in Red it has almost always been Pidgey, occasionally I try to get a Spearow just for a change (even though I like Pidgeotto and Pidgeot more than Fearow XD) Occasionally they'd later get switched out in favor of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres.

In Gold it was Pidgey or Hoot Hoot, I remember so little of that game that I don't know what I normally ended up with.. Often ditched later in favor of Lugia or Ho-oh.

In Ruby and Sapphire it was Taillow.

In Platinum there was Starly...who was ditched after E4 in favor of Giratina XD

I always train a Pikachu/Raichu and my team to level 100 in all of my games, and during the adventure I almost always have some HMslaves in my party. XD

R/S/E:
Catch a Ralts in Route 102 (why is that thing so darn hard to find?)

FR/LG:
Catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest (again, why is it so rare there?)

D/P/Pt:
Trade over a few Pokemon from other versions (2 other national starters and a Munchlax) from previous games

All games:
Have the box legend on my final team
Not nicknaming my Pokemon
Have the bird Pokemon in the first phase of my playthrough
No HM slaves
My starter being the highest level Pokemon I have. My other Pokemon are at lower levels, but I keep them the same.
Name my character as my real name (not telling)

Last edited:
-I always pick the Water Pokemon as my starter during my first time playing the game.
-I always catch a Flying Pokemon as my second Pokemon.
-I try to have all my Pokemon to lvl 10+ before the first gym.
-I always lose once to either my rival, a gym leader, or a Elite 4 member during my game play of any Pokemon game....seriously it's like some curse ._.

I always try to keep the levels of my party quite even, and I try to always have a full party, so during the first hours of my game I catch five different Pokémon and then grind them all to the level of the starter (usually it's on Lv.8 or 9 by that time).

I also try to have (very often, not always) one Pokémon of the types Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, and Ice in my party, preferably the first three being the starters of that region. Unless one of those can learn Fly, the sixth place is occupied by a Flying-type.

I never use HM slaves, thus I always have to sacrifice a move or two in order to carry Cut, Rock Smash and Flash/Defog/Whirlpool with me.

So far I have always used a water starter, who I also always give surf.
I also catch the regions bird pokemon, and train it up.
I try to have at least one pokemon that can cover each type, and never have had two pokemon of the same type on my team.

Ether name myself my real name, or my Internet name, Takoto.
And I usually, always give Pokémon Nicknames if I plan to use them in my party/not just catching them for the 'dex.

I usually over train my Pokémon a little...

-I always start the first playthrough with the Grass Starter

-Always have a Fire, a Water and a Grass type on my team

-HM Slave is usually a must

-Tend to train my starter higher than anyone else but keep the rest of the team at a pretty high level and trained evenly

I always name my character after his or her Japanese equivalent (Satoshi, Kenta, Marina, Yuuki, Haruka, etc.) and nickname my Pokémon according to their Japanese names.

Also, I always end up taking some time off before the Elite Four to fill my Pokédex a bit, if I'm not satisfied with how it's coming along. In Emerald, I'm training a team for the league right now, but I'm also taking out lower-level Pokémon that have been sitting in my box for a while and evolving them via the Exp. Share.

I have a strict team building scheme that I always follow, based on the team that won me Yellow. The first slot is the starter, and I fill the other two starter types with regular pokemon. I have no specific starter preference as I've used all three types across the gens. I always seem to choose the common Flying type of the gen. This was not intentional, but I just seem to like the common Flying type a lot. I also seem to have a tendency to get the earliest available Electric type. The last slot is a Rock and/or Ground type, which can vary. All of these have to be within the gen I am playing. For remakes, it is the gen they remade. All of these pokes must also be able to evolve, and stay within the gen. The only other thing I always do is that I never use a healing item. I play the entire game going back and forth from the Poke Centers, and just keep fighting the E4 until I win.

ALWAYS a grass, fire, and water type pokemon. Then I get the early bird, followed by the legendary mascot and then some rare one.

Hmm. On my first way around the game I'll always pick the fire starter to test it out. I'll then trawl around the first few routes to find a rare Pokémon, which in my book is usually a rare Pokémon.
In Kanto this would usually be a Mankey.
In Johto this would usually be a Bellsprout. (not that rare, but there aren't many particularly rare Pokémon at this stage.)
In Hoenn this would usually be a Ralts/Slakoth.
In Sinnoh this would usually be a Shinx (again, not that rare, but the same problem applies as in Johto.)
Also in the Johto games I'll always trade the Bellsprout that I always catch for the Onix that's always in that house in Violet City. Then I'll always put it in my box and never look at it again.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom