• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Pokemon Gen 8 (2019)

We had a similar discussion on Smogon, and it might be a reference to parenting in Japan. In Japan, it is traditional for fathers to work very long hours- to the point that they barely spend anytime with their children. In my English class, we watched a documentary called Happy, in which a Japanese Father worked so much to the point that his kids didn't recognize him when he came home. In time, he had a stroke at work and passed away. Naturally, GF, being primarily Japanese, probably went under similar parenting, though probably not as extreme. I don't think its necessarily a good idea for the fathers to be missing, since I've learned at school that fathers are just as important for children as mothers are.
This reminds so much of the reasons we can't see the father in Mother and EarthBound and why the father in Ponyo is away. Judging by the post-credits scene in ORAS, I feel that Norman is also an absent father, since he only thinks about the Gym.

And it’s suited better to being a Glass cannon, and steel isn’t the right type to be a glass cannon.
Steel would be good against poison and it would be fast and it depends. How stats distribution will be. Ground or ice would be better. At least that electric immunity and it would be faster then most water pokemon. A mega fire/ground starter would make sense with eruption. Fast sp. Attacker as oposite to camerupt.

Last edited:
So a thing I would like to see in Gen VIII, is more regular (non-legendary/mythical) Pokémon that I can count among my favourites. The amount of new favourite Pokémon I have been getting has decreased, and I expect this to continue with Galar, but they may surprise me...

Here is my list of my favourite regular Pokémon per region:

Kanto: Charizard, Gyarados, Pidgeot, Aerodactyl, Gengar
Johto: Typlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium, Kingdra, Tyranitar
Hoenn: Sceptile, Swampert, Swellow, Metagross, Salamence
Sinnoh: Torterra, Empoleon, Staraptor
Unova: Samuott, Krookodile
Kalos: none
Alola: Kommo-o
Galar: ?

As you can see, starting with Gen IV, the amount of new favourites I have been getting per generation has been decreasing. So I hope they design some more mons to my taste this Gen.

I know this is completely subjective, and varies from fan to fan, evidently.

Last edited:
I don't want Gen 8 to be overloaded with Pokemon that are considered "legendary" (I am looking at you, Ultra Breasts). On the contrary, I will be fine with the traditional legendary trio. We got plenty of new Pokemon in Gen VII, but I think it's an issue when a nice chunk of them are legendary.

Actually I was really hoping somehow that the Ultra Beasts weren't just a one-off thing because they all looked so good.

My issue is really just the fact Gen Vll has so many damned legendary Pokemon. The Ultra Beasts didn't need to be legendary, but Game Freak chose that path.

They apparently were intended to be a whole new category of legendary Pokemon that rarely get called legendary. Or Pokemon.

They're significantly different from ordinary legendaries in design and lore.

I mean, UBs usually have crazy min-maxed stats, which makes it hard to put them on a playthrough team, even if you transferred them in. You can't catch them early or breed them to get lower leveled ones, so for those who like to raise their Pokemon from an early level (like me) are plum out of luck. They're strictly end-game or post-game Pokemon, with a few exceptions. Most of the non-legendary Pokemon with legendary-tier stats have pre-evolved forms that you can train up to "earn" that strength, and they wouldn't be that overpowered in the main campaign by that time anyway.

From a gameplay perspective, they're legendary Pokemon - and I don't like playing with those for the above reasons. As much as I love UBs (both as a concept, and individually), I could stand to see less of them. Less legends, more regular Pokemon. I know this is just my hang-up with how I play, but that's how I feel on the matter.

From a gameplay perspective, they're legendary Pokemon - and I don't like playing with those for the above reasons. As much as I love UBs (both as a concept, and individually), I could stand to see less of them. Less legends, more regular Pokemon. I know this is just my hang-up with how I play, but that's how I feel on the matter.

How would you feel about UBs that are not uber powerful at first, like Poipole?

There used to be 3 broad differences between UBs and Legendaries and now there's 2. The 2 remaining are.

-They are from ultra space wormholes or outer space.
-Their ability is Beast Boost.

They all used to have bst of 570, but Naganadel broke it.
All their individual stats were prime numbers, but Naganadel broke that too.

By the way, when you guys found out that Naganadel bst was 540 instead of 570, did anyone else think GF were prejudiced against Poison typings? Sheesh.

And if GF does produce more ultra beasts, are they gonna brake even more rules.

How would you feel about UBs that are not uber powerful at first, like Poipole?

Its first form looks like a cute little alien humanoid creature that looks full of mystery. Its second evolution is a generic dragon. So...I guess it's just okay? Generic dragons are fine I guess.

I’d like Ultra Beasts to be a thing going, but they should only introduce 2-4 per generation going forward. That way we still get the interesting Cthulhu-esque designs without them taking up too many slots for the more “non-legendary” Pokémon so to speak (even though I view Ultra Beasts as a separate category from Legendaries and Mythicals).

Imo GameFreak's biggest mistake regarding UBs was marking them as legendary.
Their entire point was that they're normal Pokémon from a different universe with adaptations suited to the universe. That concept dicatates that ratatta would be a UB if it arrived to Ultra Deep Sea via wormhole, so weaker, and non-legendary UBs will not be an issue.

I wanna see something that is both a haunted house in the game, and in the anime at the same time.

Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town was a haunted house in the anime, but in the games, was a public, indoor-graveyard. Then in G/S/C became a radio tower.

Gen 3 Hoenn had the insides of Mt. Pyre as a pubic indoor-cemetery.

Gen 4 had both a public indoor cemetery, and the Old Chateau in Eterna Forest. But in the anime, the Old Chateau was not a haunted house (though it was in Pokemon Generations).

Gen 5 and Gen 6 did not have a haunted house (at least not abandoned) though Gen 7 had a abandoned store.

Although in the anime, Gen 5 had a Litwick Mansion which did not exist in the video games.

I think my favorite all-time location is the Old Chateau in Gen 4 (where the Rotom behind the TV is) as it is the closest thing to both a haunted house in the games and anime. And it's also in a forest. (Though in the anime, the Old Chateau is in Canalave City...).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom