• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you wish that did NOT happen in the anime

Keeping Ash as a main character after Kanto, ignoring type preference for Gym Leader companions, Alain's OP Mega Charizard X, Ash-Greninja, shippings (especially ContestShipping and AmourShipping), Bonnie/Max in the main cast, Nini as Serena's rival, and last but not least, Cilan's eyes.

Keeping Ash as a main character after Kanto, ignoring type preference for Gym Leader companions, Alain's OP Mega Charizard X, Ash-Greninja, shippings (especially ContestShipping and AmourShipping), Bonnie/Max in the main cast, Nini as Serena's rival, and last but not least, Cilan's eyes.
"XY sucks amirite"

I don’t hate those two, but I don’t really think they were needed.

Bonnie played a pretty huge role in the Team Flare arc and I don't think that could have been filled by any of the other characters. Max didn't have much of a role beyond being May's little brother who didn't have his own Pokemon though. Out of the two, I think that Bonnie was the little kid main character done right, or at least done better than Max. Having Dedenne and eventually Squishy to interact and bond with gave her a lot more to do than Max normally did.

Max may not have done much, but he did help out AG group dynamic. Remove him and the group dynamic would be similar to DP, which was not good. (Dawn and Ash had great chemistry, but Brock was a complete afterthought.)

Bonnie played a pretty huge role in the Team Flare arc and I don't think that could have been filled by any of the other characters. Max didn't have much of a role beyond being May's little brother who didn't have his own Pokemon though. Out of the two, I think that Bonnie was the little kid main character done right, or at least done better than Max. Having Dedenne and eventually Squishy to interact and bond with gave her a lot more to do than Max normally did.

I forgot about the Team Flare arc because I was bored of it, so I didn’t remember that part :-/. While I don’t like Serena as much, that same arc shows that at least she was trying to be an asset to the gang rather than a liability.

Max may not have done much, but he did help out AG group dynamic. Remove him and the group dynamic would be similar to DP, which was not good. (Dawn and Ash had great chemistry, but Brock was a complete afterthought.)

Not really. Ash and May's relationship didn't have nearly as much focus compared to what Ash and Dawn had in DP, so I really doubt that it would have been that similar. Calling Brock a complete afterthought also sounds like a stretch to me. He taught Dawn how to treat injured Pokemon, which helped with Mamoswine listening to her again, and he helped in the Team Galactic arc. I understand why fans complain that he was still in DP and it was for the best he was written off after that series, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he was a complete afterthought. Plus, did Brock really have any really noteworthy or memorable interactions with May?

I forgot about the Team Flare arc because I was bored of it, so I didn’t remember that part :-/. While I don’t like Serena as much, that same arc shows that at least she was trying to be an asset to the gang rather than a liability.

One of the reasons why I like the Team Flare arc so much is because everyone had a role to play. It wasn't just Ash saving the day again, but everyone having their own parts to play that fit with their personalities.

Ash's choice in his team against Tobias. Torkoal and Corphish, really. REALLY

His team was Heracross, Torkoal, Gible, Sceptile, Swellow, and Pikachu.

Of those six four of them had previosuly battled legendaries (Torkoal vs Registeel where the old turtle did well, Sceptile vs Regirock, Swellow vs Deoxys, and Pikachu vs Regice), one of them had the best typing and move set Ash had to battle Darkrai, and Gible's Draco Meteor was stated by Tobias to be dangerous for Darkrai.

Short of explaining where Charizard was or stating that Infernape was still recovering from the Paul battle, this was a fairly good team comp.

Not really. Ash and May's relationship didn't have nearly as much focus compared to what Ash and Dawn had in DP, so I really doubt that it would have been that similar. Calling Brock a complete afterthought also sounds like a stretch to me. He taught Dawn how to treat injured Pokemon, which helped with Mamoswine listening to her again, and he helped in the Team Galactic arc. I understand why fans complain that he was still in DP and it was for the best he was written off after that series, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he was a complete afterthought. Plus, did Brock really have any really noteworthy or memorable interactions with May?

May was still the deuteragonist of AG and received a ton of focus, not to the level of Dawn's, but still a lot. Ash is Ash, so Brock still ran the risk of being an afterthought without Max. I hate the character, but he did give Brock someone to talk to when the focus was on Ash and May. As for memorable Brock/May interactions, I thought May's dragging Brcok on her various shopping trips were fairly well done.

May was still the deuteragonist of AG and received a ton of focus, not to the level of Dawn's, but still a lot. Ash is Ash, so Brock still ran the risk of being an afterthought without Max. I hate the character, but he did give Brock someone to talk to when the focus was on Ash and May. As for memorable Brock/May interactions, I thought May's dragging Brcok on her various shopping trips were fairly well done.

I'm not saying that May didn't get a lot of focus. She did, but since her relationship with Ash didn't get the same amount of attention as his relationship with Dawn did, I don't think that the group would have been too similar to the DP trio. I'm not sure if Brock would have been treated like an afterthought without Max, if only because he still got more focused episodes than he did during the original series, but that's a fair point in regards to how Max gave Brock someone else to talk to. Granted, I think at least part of that came from Max taking up the ear pulling gag, but it was still some memorable interactions

I can only recall one or two instances where May and Brock went on shopping trips together, so I don't think it was that well done or at least noteworthy. I've often seen people complain about Dawn and Brock not having any chemistry, but I just don't see how his relationship with May was so significantly better by comparison.

Maybe the over-focus of contest battles in the DP anime: Everyone hated May's treatment of Squirte and how she put him into a contest battle, right? Then why not make it a huge focus of the next region?

I always thought that Masato is created to replace Takeshi, but then something went wrong and they decide to bring Takeshi back to the show.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom