• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia U-Choose Mafia II [ENDGAME]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you enjoy the game?

Did you like your role, and do you think your character suited it?

What do you think could be improved, whether it be balance issues, role creation, character -> role, etc?

Would you play another U-Choose in the not so distant future?

1) Yeah, I had a lot of fun! Wish I could've been a bit more active but that was just due to work and being sick mostly. Didn't get to play to my true scum potential. Lol.

2) I did enjoy my role and felt it fit Spike well!

3) Maybe balance with just a bit less roleblocker stuff going on. Also, not really an improvement but just a suggestion that could be fun. Maybe have players submit 3 potential characters and then you can choose which one to use. Gives you more options for role balance and makes it so people can't necessarily try to get any specific roles with their character.

4) Absolutely! I love games that involve player input in the creation.

Also, Calvin, could we please get graveyard access? And mafia chat if Ex/Minish do not mind.

Also I don't mind for people having mafia chat access. Some of the dead players are already in there.

You can see me and Ex going back and forth about what I should fakeclaim. Lol. Wanted to do commuter just for the whole "See you Space Cowboy" thing. But ended up just fakeclaiming character and role.

Has perfect scumgame
"wish I could do more"

I think Calvin did a good enough job with giving non-obvious roles to most characters. At least for the ones I know about most (Weiss, Politoed, Jack and Nagito) I probably would not think of these things first.

If I were host I would make Politoed have it Rain as long as they are alive, and build from there. Nagito something about a person from the opposite faction randomly dying after a person from their faction dies. Probably more wacky stuff.

Did you enjoy the game?

What do you think could be improved, whether it be balance issues, role creation, character -> role, etc?

1. ehh. i feel like i'm just not good at mafia, which is sad because mafia seems really cool. not anyone's fault though, just my own.
2. i think it fit miku, but it wasn't really a fun role to use. but hey, not every role can be super cool.
3. too many roleblockers
4. i mean, maybe? i think i should get better at mafia and learn more of the lingo, because so many of those acronyms i didn't understand

1. ehh. i feel like i'm just not good at mafia, which is sad because mafia seems really cool. not anyone's fault though, just my own.
2. i think it fit miku, but it wasn't really a fun role to use. but hey, not every role can be super cool.
3. too many roleblockers
4. i mean, maybe? i think i should get better at mafia and learn more of the lingo, because so many of those acronyms i didn't understand
1. You have just not played enough yet, judging from your Survivor performance I am sure you can do MUCH better :)

3. I know right! I have not even considered all the paradoxes yet, and I am not sure I should think of it more, brain may unnecessarily explode.

4. There are plans to have a better guide on this soon. Your feedback on this one is very helpful.

practice makes perfectttt
sorry for shooting you so early on toast, but I felt like you could use a bit of a mercy shot because you seemed to be getting a bit overwhelmed with people pushing you back and forth lol (plus it was good for info)

What a move... You could easily get a free mislynch there. You still got it on Claire, and without having to do a thing, Jamie and I self sabotaged alone :(

practice makes perfectttt
sorry for shooting you so early on toast, but I felt like you could use a bit of a mercy shot because you seemed to be getting a bit overwhelmed with people pushing you back and forth lol (plus it was good for info)
gotta be real i was kinda relieved when i got killed

Did you enjoy the game?

1. I did! Was a bit disappointed at the end because Town kinda shut down a bit, though lol.
Was a bit conflicted because on one hand I was hoping Zexy would keep pushing for me/Minish and keep things spicy but on the other hand I'm kinda stressed and burned out so I'd've been pretty pissed if I ended up losing what was being a smooth ride lol.

2. Mhm! I think something disruptive and manipulation focused fits Nagito well. I feel like it was a bit too safe on the classic side, though. It's a fun character that could've benefited from luck-based stuff like randomizing the role or having certain odds attached to it. The fake claim had a bit of that in mind, and I'm glad you liked it lol.

3. Scum didn't really have hard counters for Town roles (i.e. Godfather for Cop, Ninja for Tracker/Watcher, Strongman for Doctor/Bodyguard, etc.), so that was a bit weird. Rolecop in a setup this small is a bit useless cuz massclaims happen faster + after a single night scum can almost guarantee to have all the info they need.
I'm not a fan of disruptions in games with custom roles and/or with fewer people because it the fun is having a bunch of weird roles going off and everyone being aaaaaa, so having disruptions can make a handful of people not being able to try some of their stuff out.
I think the balance overall was actually good, although not adding cop nor doctor was a pretty risky move. Despite the predominance of disruptive roles, roleblocker was an interesting choice of an attempt to counter that (even though it also blocks when used without coordination?? maybe something like a strong-fier would've been a bit better). I'm not too much of a fan of the nerfed watcher, though.

4. Yea! Sure!

Also, Calvin, could we please get graveyard access? And mafia chat if Ex/Minish do not mind.
Gotcha, all added.

Thanks all for the insight, obviously as you know I agree with the takes on the roleblocking and disrupting and all that malarkey, but I appreciate the comments regardless. No rushing on the next one I promise :p

Maybe have players submit 3 potential characters and then you can choose which one to use. Gives you more options for role balance and makes it so people can't necessarily try to get any specific roles with their character.
Agreed, I did say people could send two and a couple people did, but I think in hindsight I should have made it a rule. I do think U-Choose III / 3 should have this as an enforced rule, and it being the third edition kinda fits it thematically, having three submissions that is.

Really happy to see you'd all give U-Choose another go, it was years since the last one and I would rather get the next one here sooner rather than later really. Maybe after Generation Spin-Off but we'll see what the future holds.

Last edited:
HOPE WILL PREVAIL :swirlix:

Me getting caught by motion tracker N1 was me goofing up hard, I'm just lucky I had fakeclaimed that bit about the passive modifier and Zinn is probably gonna get paranoid of me again after this lmfao. Kinda funny to see yall saying it was weak when it almost turned the game around - I feel like motion tracker can be kinda strong specially in a setup where roles have limited shots. If anyone has been added to the mafia chat I think yall can see that it was because I was trying to set everything for Minish's commuter claim, but since Zinn hadn't tracked her we could change plans last second.

I still disagree with the percentage argument Zexy made.
oh yea if you're town don't coordinate actions around a lie like 99% of the time lol that backfires

Game could've gone a really different direction if Tood hadn't gotten modkilled. Rip Tood, it happens.
istg 2 outta 7 indepts I've seen end up modkilled for mentioning their wincon and it always feels a bit harsh :sadsola:

As for Town in -Lo, I feel like people should've done a few things they didn't:

1. Realized my claim (the modifier part) conflicted a bit with Jamie's Bodyguard claim (if bodyguard had targeted me, they would target... themselves???), and that I had never hinted that to sus him out before when he claimed D2. This is why you can't throw the towel, Jamie!!! If you had picked on that you could've tried to focus on my slot and build a case!!

2. Pressed for me and Minish to claim the role name (we never claimed those, only what they did) cuz as we can see she ended up fake claiming a character and my og role name def sounded fishy so I'd have to come up with something less scummy.

3. And I feel like there was little discussion as to what mafia roles could've been, I know custom roles can often throw people off, but if redirector had ever been mentioned I think things could've made a lot more sense (I kept wanting to mention that to seem townie for discussing the possibility, but if I did theorize a redirector out loud people would realize I was could've been the one doing exactly that :sadsola:).

Last edited:
Bodyguard self targetting by accident (which amounts to just idle, no paradox) did not feel bad as roleblocker rolestopper and bus driver. Bus driver existing is what I did not like on you mostly.

I did not mind the role name thing, you could just way Warrior of Hope or something, I mean Croaker and Glyphmaker and most others is NAI mess too.

I did suspect some kind of Role Thief redirecting my action somewhere else way too late to think twice on it. Apparently called Manipulator, same thing still.

I did not mind the role name thing, you could just way Warrior of Hope or something, I mean Croaker and Glyphmaker and most others is NAI mess too.
Speaking of which, would you prefer if I had just kept the normal names for simplicities sake? Minor question but just wondering for future purposes.

Alternatively, I think the best option would be "Town Croaker (Roleblocker)", "Town Glyphmaster (Rolestopper)", for a bit of both, if applicable of course.

Realized my claim (the modifier part) conflicted a bit with Jamie's Bodyguard claim (if bodyguard had targeted me, they would target... themselves???), and that I had never hinted that to sus him out before when he claimed D2. This is why you can't throw the towel, Jamie!!! If you had picked on that you could've tried to focus on my slot and build a case!!
Yeah, you’re right. I was tunnelling on Zexy/ Minish too much to worry about you and Zinn. I’ll try and keep the same level of analysis that I have early game into late game. I’m also going to try and not be pressured early game too much too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom