• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia U-Choose Mafia II [ENDGAME]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you’re right. I was tunnelling on Zexy/ Minish too much to worry about you and Zinn. I’ll try and keep the same level of analysis that I have early game into late game. I’m also going to try and not be pressured early game too much too.
The main problem we both had was not managing to convince Zinn to switch to Minish... That is the angle we should have pushed on harder.

I felt too sure about this setup having no way to prevent deaths, should have insisted more.

Did you enjoy the game?
Ultimately yes, but it did get quite stressful at times.
Did you like your role, and do you think your character suited it?
Oh definitely suited Yuma, but as you pointed out, motion detector isn't that useful when everyone has a active role anyway.
What do you think could be improved, whether it be balance issues, role creation, character -> role, etc?
Town investigation was too weak (as you noticed). It was unfortunate about the independent modkill so the whole game got slightly skewed from the start since independents would usually side with Town in early game.
You also noticed the lack of clarification on certain rules. I trusted Ex's 30% redirect claim because you hadn't planned for the result message to change targets, causing me to doubt myself. I would've known he was telling the truth if my result said "ZinnLav used an action." and that he was definitely lying if it was indeed "ExLight used an action." which immediately tilted the game in Town's favor (which is the whole point of the motion detector tbh).
Would you play another U-Choose in the not so distant future?
Oh definitely, it's fun seeing characters from series I'd never get to host a Mafia game for, usually due to small variety of characters or wanting to avoid others getting spoilers. Reminds me of Chaos Mafia where the characters are also randomly distributed except here you keep who you submitted. I was basically guaranteed an investigation role since I submitted a detective character so it was fun seeing how you interpreted that.
I enjoyed making my own character description, even though it wasn't required and you're welcome for the assist, as it helped you come up with a suitable role while (hopefully) achieving my goal of you avoiding spoilers for one of my favourite mystery games.

Oh definitely suited Yuma, but as you pointed out, motion detector isn't that useful when everyone has a active role anyway.
It could matter with roles with shots, especially if someone claimed having used them all up then caught in a lie.
You also noticed the lack of clarification on certain rules. I trusted Ex's 30% redirect claim because you hadn't planned for the result message to change targets, causing me to doubt myself. I would've known he was telling the truth if my result said "ZinnLav used an action." and that he was definitely lying if it was indeed "ExLight used an action." which immediately tilted the game in Town's favor (which is the whole point of the motion detector tbh).
Yeah this is kinda major, imo it should be "Your target used an action."
I was basically guaranteed an investigation role since I submitted a detective character so it was fun seeing how you interpreted that.
In retrospect I should have done something like this too :( I just felt like going for versatile and see where it gets me.

Yeah but I might need more help in private cuz I'm not very confident playing yet!
@Zexy perhaps we could get a mentor game going, drum up some renewed interest? I realise a lot of the hosts prefer role madness which makes entering a bit harder.
Of course I personally prefer role madness because Vanilla is a crummy role "Hey welcome to the game, you're useless and can only vote" is just not fun to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing you more around here Claire.
Also Zinn quote was too much of a townslip, for a very weird forums technical reason that I am not sure if I should explain further...
Yeah I probably should've gotten modkilled but Town was already crashing and it would've been the nail so that's why I think I didn't.
Maybe have players submit 3 potential characters and then you can choose which one to use. Gives you more options for role balance and makes it so people can't necessarily try to get any specific roles with their character.
This is clever and a perfect counterpoint to my earlier mention of Yuma was almost guaranteed to be investigation.
But ended up just fakeclaiming character and role.
I'm surprised nobody else ended up faking character. You could probably see me freaking out on D1 with all the claiming because I was worried they'd be like "Hey your character is a detective ans you're acting towny" which is why I hyper fixed on Jamie asking about investigation roles.
4. i mean, maybe? i think i should get better at mafia and learn more of the lingo, because so many of those acronyms i didn't understand
I still don't know what POV means even though I think it was explained xD
I'm not a big fan of the lingo much. Like that whole "Wine in front of me" thing which is basically "This is a catch-22" or something, wild mad guessing.
sorry for shooting you so early on toast, but I felt like you could use a bit of a mercy shot because you seemed to be getting a bit overwhelmed with people pushing you back and forth lol (plus it was good for info)
What a move... You could easily get a free mislynch there. You still got it on Claire, and without having to do a thing, Jamie and I self sabotaged alone :(
Yeah it really threw me off because I was fully ready to lynch Toast on D2.
2. Mhm! I think something disruptive and manipulation focused fits Nagito well. I feel like it was a bit too safe on the classic side, though. It's a fun character that could've benefited from luck-based stuff like randomizing the role or having certain odds attached to it. The fake claim had a bit of that in mind, and I'm glad you liked it lol.
For some reason this gave me the idea of if you submitted the name of a role, something completely custom and having the host make something out of that (even if it's just reflavouring)
Me getting caught by motion tracker N1 was me goofing up hard, I'm just lucky I had fakeclaimed that bit about the passive modifier and Zinn is probably gonna get paranoid of me again after this lmfao.
Damn Ultimate Lucky Student for real x_x
istg 2 outta 7 indepts I've seen end up modkilled for mentioning their wincon and it always feels a bit harsh :sadsola:
Perhaps more coaching for hosts about independent wincons.
I remember I had Zachie as a independent bounty hunter with an implied change if their bounty died. Which would turn them into a serial killer with the usual "kill everyone" wincon.
Of course he claimed immediately and then his target died and then suddenly the game isn't ending and the independent claim is alive.
Was not a fun time for me or Zachie.
(if bodyguard had targeted me, they would target... themselves???)
As a host I'd resolve this simply having their role work as normal, if Bodyguard is the target, they simply die like normal.
3. And I feel like there was little discussion as to what mafia roles could've been, I know custom roles can often throw people off, but if redirector had ever been mentioned I think things could've made a lot more sense (I kept wanting to mention that to seem townie for discussing the possibility, but if I did theorize a redirector out loud people would realize I was could've been the one doing exactly that :sadsola:).
I think there being a Town Roleblocker threw us off "Oh Mafia could have Town roles because Town has Mafia roles" even though Roleblocker can go to either team normally anyway.
Croaker... is NAI mess too.
Sounds like a Bomb tbh.
Speaking of which, would you prefer if I had just kept the normal names for simplicities sake? Minor question but just wondering for future purposes.
Alternatively, I think the best option would be "Town Croaker (Roleblocker)", "Town Glyphmaster (Rolestopper)", for a bit of both, if applicable of course.
I like using custom names to flavour my games more, though I will still clarify "Yes you're a Cop even if it says Super Sleuth" or something. I like to do the same with alignment names.
It could matter with roles with shots, especially if someone claimed having used them all up then caught in a lie.
Like ExLight was but he happened to have the perfect claim already without knowing I visited him already. I banked too hard on that 30% chance when it was actually 0% x_x

@Zexy perhaps we could get a mentor game going, drum up some renewed interest?
Thanks for the feedback, we will consider it.
I realise a lot of the hosts prefer role madness which makes entering a bit harder.
Of course I personally prefer role madness because Vanilla is a crummy role "Hey welcome to the game, you're useless and can only vote" is just not fun to me.
Of course, that is more or less my hosting philosophy as well.
Yeah I probably should've gotten modkilled but Town was already crashing and it would've been the nail so that's why I think I didn't.
Yeah, any such decision would only make game even more unfair for town :( Just please be more careful in the future.
This is clever and a perfect counterpoint to my earlier mention of Yuma was almost guaranteed to be investigation.
Just submit Yuma Kokohead, Detective Conan and Inspector Gadget lol
I'm surprised nobody else ended up faking character. You could probably see me freaking out on D1 with all the claiming because I was worried they'd be like "Hey your character is a detective ans you're acting towny" which is why I hyper fixed on Jamie asking about investigation roles.
You were probably the only townie who used the U-Choose theme to its full potential and even had Plan Bs thought of in case of need to claim early, kudos. (not so kudos for insisting Jamie/not considering Minish at LYLO tho lol)
I still don't know what POV means even though I think it was explained xD
I'm not a big fan of the lingo much. Like that whole "Wine in front of me" thing which is basically "This is a catch-22" or something, wild mad guessing.
Point of View, but it can be used further with fm (from my) or fy (from your). For example fmPOV (I know I am town) or fyPOV (assuming you are town) etc.
What is a catch-22? Probably same as WIFOM but idk
Like ExLight was but he happened to have the perfect claim already without knowing I visited him already. I banked too hard on that 30% chance when it was actually 0% x_x
The same could be said about my argument that a 70% chance was better, when it was 100%, ouch.

Just submit Yuma Kokohead, Detective Conan and Inspector Gadget lol
Coordinate with all the players so everyone submits the same characters.
What is a catch-22? Probably same as WIFOM but idk
Like uhh "If I do this, I'm screwed. But if I do this other thing I'm also screwed" or something, I'm bad at explaining stuff.

I have done same characters with exact same role in games before...

Zexy Games Mafia II called upon a role from Zexy Games Mafia I (which was from Survival Game: Mirai Nikki Mafia) and upon a role from itself, and had two of the same.
The same was Commuter Bomb Restless Spirit. And one blew up the other. In the day phase. Most insane anti-town swing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom