• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Unreleased Pokemon & characters to Prototype Pokemon & characters

Blockhead Pippi

North America's only Pippi fan
Reaction score
Someone suggested that we could also create threads when discussing whether an article should be moved/renamed or not. There's still the talk page too of course.

In regards to this article, Unreleased Pokémon and characters - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia I had marked it earlier whether or not the article should be moved to "Prototype Pokemon and characters" instead.

Not only does the article list unreleased Pokemon, but it also lists Pokemon whose designs had been altered, such as the Ladyba design. The altered Pokemon were simply redesigned prior to game release, and therefore are still technically "released".

"Prototype" can easily refer to both unreleased and altered Pokemon, and I feel it is a better name for this article.

So... discuss, I guess.

And please, can we not debate in here whether Bellossom, Slowpoke are prototype, or whether the Capsule Monsters be listed in that article? This, and that talk page section, should be about the article's NAME and nothing else...

I feel that the one article should be split into two. I hate the word prototype: I feel it is not fit in describing Pokémon at all. Sounds too...mechanical. I think it should be split into "Altered Pokémon and characters" and "Unreleased Pokémon and characters." I feel like we would be able to throw a lot more things into the altered Pokémon by getting the unreleased out of there.

I feel that the one article should be split into two. I hate the word prototype: I feel it is not fit in describing Pokémon at all. Sounds too...mechanical. I think it should be split into "Altered Pokémon and characters" and "Unreleased Pokémon and characters." I feel like we would be able to throw a lot more things into the altered Pokémon by getting the unreleased out of there.

Pokemon are bits of programming. If they were real creatures, then 'unreleased' and 'altered' wouldn't exist. Prototype simply refers to something that had a design that was either dropped or changed, which applies even to Pokemon.

The article is small enough as it is. I don't find it practical at all to split it. Splitting Capsule Monsters into their own listing is one thing, but unreleased and altered? Not too practical.

I support the move as well.

Also, "altered" is quite ambiguous in a page title. While I assume we would intend to include Pokémon whose designs changed before release, the title would also mean things like Jynx that changed after their release.

That was the point of having altered: so we could put the characters like Jynx on there.

It's still not practical to have two separate listings, when the current listing itself is small enough as it is.

The whole "Jynx being in the same vein as two-headed Girafraig" is also constantly being disputed.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom