• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

i just had a thought: what if Ultra Beasts sharing a numerical designation in their code name like Buzzwole & Pheromosa (UB-02) and Celesteela & Kartana (UB-04) weren't the order in which they were cataloged, but rather occupy the same Ultra Space? This could explain why the UBs have Pokédex entries in the games where they weren't found: the numbers in the code names to correspond to the Ultra Beasts themselves, but rather the different Ultra Spaces!

Makes sense considering they are version exclusives.

Oh, not really :/
Youkai Watch does this quite well, I'd say. Level-5 updates its old games with the possible new content periodically.
Is just Game Freak. As far as I remember, they were kinda "not cool" with DLCs so.

EDIT: and keep in mind, the Youkai Watch upgrades are for free.
I'm not trying to be biased or anything, but this is something Game Freak should take into account when doing stuff like this (eg. a new same generation game). I understand the reasoning behind not doing it, but it doesn't mean it's "good" at all. Again, is just bussiness.

And I'm not a very demanding person regarding Pokémon. Kinda awful I know.

Well, the Nintendo 3DS brought Game Freak kicking and screaming into the 3D era (took a little time), so I'm hoping the Nintendo Switch will force them to consider DLC. At $60 a pop, I am not sure how willing how some of the fanbase are to buy paired versions for $120 a year (based on average price of $59.99 for a Switch game).

Well, the Nintendo 3DS brought Game Freak kicking and screaming into the 3D era (took a little time), so I'm hoping the Nintendo Switch will force them to consider DLC. At $60 a pop, I am not sure how willing how some of the fanbase are to buy paired versions for $120 a year (based on average price of $59.99 for a Switch game).
Yo kai watch and monster Hunter get 3rd versions of games

It's common practice in japan

Yo kai watch and monster Hunter get 3rd versions of games

It's common practice in japan

Thanks for sharing, but you missed the point of my post about future GF releases on the Nintendo Switch. Paired versions potentially won't share as well at $59 a pop in the United States if GF churns them out every year/other year. If you want to discuss this further, please feel free to DM me. I don't want to derail this thread with Nintendo Switch discussion.

That said, I hope if there is at least some event exclusive stuff for USUM. The global missions were snoozefests.

And gear change to my earlier post about GF/Nintendo's missed marketing opportunity with the eclipse. Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart (originally released in the 19080's) is currently the #2 seller in the U.S. iTunes store, purely because of social media association with the eclipse. So yeah, I think its fair to say dropping a trailer around USUM during the eclipse would have been an effective marketing strategy.

Last edited:
That said, I hope if there is at least some event exclusive stuff for USUM. The global missions were snoozefests.

Rockruff/Dusk Lycanroc and Cap Pikachu

... That said, I do wonder what event-only form USUM will add to tie in to the movie next year.
  • FRLG - Deoxys Attack & Defense Formes
  • Platinum - Shaymin Sky Forme
  • HGSS - Spiky-Eared Pichu
  • B2W2 - Keldeo Resolute Forme
  • ORAS - Hoopa Unbound
Magearna still has its Original Color form unavailable/unannounced, but they've already shown it in CoroCoro (anime art iirc) and it had a few scenes in the movie. Marshadow promotion is done and if it was going to get a new form, they would've used it for the movie promotion and to tie in with USUM... Though we've already gotten I Choose You Cap Pikachu announced, so there's that.

That just leaves a few options - give a new form to an old Mythical (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy/Phione, Darkrai, Victini), a non-Legendary/old Legendary, or a brand new Mythical. I didn't list Volcanion because was recently promoted last year. I think considering the GS VC releases, it'd make sense for Celebi to gain a new form, though they could use that to justify it getting a Z-Move, like with Mew.

Why not make a movie with Mew? I would presume Genesis Supernova might be worth showing off a bit :p

Alternative they could go the "promote the next gen route" again and have a new mythical for the Switch games.

Why not make a movie with Mew? I would presume Genesis Supernova might be worth showing off a bit :p

Alternative they could go the "promote the next gen route" again and have a new mythical for the Switch games.

I've been wondering if GameFreak might have learned their lesson from XY getting datamined and saved a third mythical for USM. Two mythicals is even less than Gen 6, and that was a generation that didn't show its mythicals until the movies of its own series, unlike Gen 7 which promoted Magearna in the last XY movie.

If the Switch version doesn't come out until 2019, and USM doesn't contain anything new, movie-worthy forms or Pokemon, then we'll have Gen 8 mythicals (or Lucario/Zoroark analogs) promoted in 2018 (likely an off year for the games), 2019 (Switch version comes out), and then however many more years pass before Gen 9 is close enough to be promoted, which could potentially be as far away as 2021 or 2022.

Basically, if USM doesn't have new stuff, Gen 8 will have to have a lot, and start promoting it far earlier than we've seen in recent history with BW, XY, and SM. I guess we also have Eternal Floette, but at this point I'm pretty sure they're just saving it for the Kalos remake in 2030 or whenever.

Of course, GameFreak has never straight up added new Pokedex numbers within a generation (though if they were going to start I'd assume it would be with a Mythical) so this isn't necessarily that likely. There's also Mew, like you said, as well the potential for more old legendaries getting Z-Moves.

I've been wondering if GameFreak might have learned their lesson from XY getting datamined and saved a third mythical for USM. Two mythicals is even less than Gen 6, and that was a generation that didn't show its mythicals until the movies of its own series, unlike Gen 7 which promoted Magearna in the last XY movie.

If the Switch version doesn't come out until 2019, and USM doesn't contain anything new, movie-worthy forms or Pokemon, then we'll have Gen 8 mythicals (or Lucario/Zoroark analogs) promoted in 2018 (likely an off year for the games), 2019 (Switch version comes out), and then however many more years pass before Gen 9 is close enough to be promoted, which could potentially be as far away as 2021 or 2022.

Basically, if USM doesn't have new stuff, Gen 8 will have to have a lot, and start promoting it far earlier than we've seen in recent history with BW, XY, and SM. I guess we also have Eternal Floette, but at this point I'm pretty sure they're just saving it for the Kalos remake in 2030 or whenever.

Of course, GameFreak has never straight up added new Pokedex numbers within a generation (though if they were going to start I'd assume it would be with a Mythical) so this isn't necessarily that likely. There's also Mew, like you said, as well the potential for more old legendaries getting Z-Moves.
There are more forms to be introduce with Paul Ryan from Pokeshopper's Merchandise leak, they're still some mystery towards them.

Especially we are getting some news on August 31st and a big reveal for next month:

View: https://twitter.com/PokeshopperVGC/status/900355549442834432

Maybe that 3 question thing on battle wheel is probably a new mythical pokemon right after marshadow who knows?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/PokeshopperVGC/status/899913842226061312

Rockruff/Dusk Lycanroc and Cap Pikachu

meh Cap Pikachu can kiss it lol

I was thinking/meaning more like the Munchlax with Snorlium, Shiny Beldum with Mega Stone, etc. event Pokemon, ones that I would actually use in the game if I wanted too and not just stick away in the Bank for the rest of eternity. SM has been really light on the gift Pokemon events that aren't so "exclusive".

That said, I need to go to GameStop and get my Salazzle promo card.

There are more forms to be introduce with Paul Ryan from Pokeshopper's Merchandise leak, they're still some mystery towards them.

Especially we are getting some news on August 31st and a big reveal for next month:

View: https://twitter.com/PokeshopperVGC/status/900355549442834432

I'm thinking this first reveal might be Type: Null, since it hasn't seen much promotion yet despite appearing in the anime and it's right next to Gladion's other two Pokemon.

Maybe that 3 question thing on battle wheel is probably a new mythical pokemon right after marshadow who knows?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/PokeshopperVGC/status/899913842226061312

This one I'm cautiously optimistic about, especially in conjunction with the new "light form." I feel like we're going to get another big reveal early this September, probably pre-empting Corocoro.

Yes, but, Dual Edition is not something we knew... Did we? o.o

I knew they had a dual edition promotion with a steelbook, idk if that's the same thing but yea

It doesn't really tell that much new other than the storyline, which I'm pretty sure everyone has predicted by now
We knew the story parts as well, it was all written on the pokemon website

They could, but I was moreso suggesting a new form of something. Mew being promoted for next year's movie doesn't really work for a few reasons, they've already given it out in Japan as a tie-in to this year's movie and its Z-Move was given out via Bank.

And to answer your question on if anyone used Z-Moves in the movie, nope.

I was thinking/meaning more like the Munchlax with Snorlium, Shiny Beldum with Mega Stone, etc. event Pokemon, ones that I would actually use in the game if I wanted too and not just stick away in the Bank for the rest of eternity. SM has been really light on the gift Pokemon events that aren't so "exclusive".

That said, I need to go to GameStop and get my Salazzle promo card.

I guess in that case, there still is the Rockruff/Dusk Lycanroc, as it's pretty much the same thing as the Torchic/Beldum/Munchlax events.

Back
Top Bottom