• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Venusaur vs Torterra

I think one thing we can all agree on is, they're both ugly. Piplup is the cutest.

I think one thing we can all agree on is, they're both ugly. Piplup is the cutest.

I dunno what you're talking about. Venusaur is adorable:
venusaur_chibi_by_redpawfigurines-d4gvm32.jpg

I pick Torterra, but barely, it does get STAB Earthquake, it also gets absolutely demolished by Ice types. Venusaur on the other hand just isn't as cool as Ivysaur or Bulbasaur to me for some reason.

I choose Torterra because I always thought Venusaur's eyes looked weirdly lazy. Also, the type combination is great, in my opinion. I also like Torterra because I like the Tortoise origination.

I find Torterra too ugly and mean looking so Venusaur gets my vote for its pretty flower.

In terms of battle, it's hard to say, I havn't used a venusaur since playing a gen one game >10 years ago and I think torterra is just a little more versatile.

So, which one do you prefer?
It was a very close almost annoyingly tough decision because I love them both, but Venusaur is the victor here.

Who is the most useful overall?
Venusaur has very interesting strategies and tactics in competitive play. It's move-pool is also wider and more interesting than Torterra's. Wood Hammer though is amazing for Torterra I must say.

Who would win in a battle?
Well it's difficult to say, as they sort of cancel each other out with neutral damage due to their types. Venusaur can cause some pretty nasty stings to Torterra though and could stall it to it's grave.

So, which one do you prefer?
Venusaur
Who is the most useful overall?
Venusaur
Who would win in a battle?
Torterra

Which one do you prefer? Torterra

Which is more useful? Both

Which one would win in a battle? Probably Venusaur if it has Grass Knot but if not then Torterra with Curse.

I vote Torterra because It has a way better movepool than Venusaur, especially Wood Hammer. Venusaur's sp.attack stat is good but it's movepool is quite weak and that won't be useful. Torterra has stronger moves than Venusaur. Venusaur's attack stat is not good and most of it's moves are physical. It has Petal Dance which is a strong sp.attack but has a side effect. I guess Solar Beam is the only move which is useful. Venusaur can't even learn Leaf Storm which it can only learn by breeding. That's a disappointment. But Venusaur is far better than Torterra in speed. In typing I guess Venusaur. In my opinion Torterra looks better than Venusaur. Venusaur just looks ugly to me.

Which one would win in a battle? Probably Venusaur if it has Grass Knot but if not then Torterra with Curse.

I vote Torterra because It has a way better movepool than Venusaur, especially Wood Hammer. Venusaur's sp.attack stat is good but it's movepool is quite weak and that won't be useful. Torterra has stronger moves than Venusaur. Venusaur's attack stat is not good and most of it's moves are physical. It has Petal Dance which is a strong sp.attack but has a side effect. I guess Solar Beam is the only move which is useful. Venusaur can't even learn Leaf Storm which it can only learn by breeding. That's a disappointment. But Venusaur is far better than Torterra in speed. In typing I guess Venusaur. In my opinion Torterra looks better than Venusaur. Venusaur just looks ugly to me.

Sleep Powder, Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Growth, Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Swords Dance, Power Whip. Who says Venusaur has a bad movepool? Hell, there's a Japanese event Bulbasaur with Weather Ball of all things.

And for the record, it doesn't matter the method, if Venusaur can learn Leaf Storm, and it can, then it is part of their movepool. So yes, Venusaur does have Leaf Storm, and it can use it better than Torterra ever will.

1. First of all nearly all the moves that you've mentioned aren't Venusaur's movepool. They are TMs that it's able to learn and you can't just point out a Japanese Bulbasaur event because it isn't compatible for other versions so it won't be fair for Torterra.

2. It isn't really considered to be an original movepool. More like a breeding movepool which is different because it cannot learn them itself.

1. First of all nearly all the moves that you've mentioned aren't Venusaur's movepool. They are TMs that it's able to learn and you can't just point out a Japanese Bulbasaur event because it isn't compatible for other versions so it won't be fair for Torterra.

2. It isn't really considered to be an original movepool. More like a breeding movepool which is different because it cannot learn them itself.

What kind of logic is this? A pokemon's move pool isn't restricted to what they learn by level up. It encompasses every move that they learn, by TM, breeding, tutor, etc. I think you're the only person I've ever seen who considers a Pokemon's movepool to be restricted to level up only.

What kind of logic is this? A pokemon's move pool isn't restricted to what they learn by level up. It encompasses every move that they learn, by TM, breeding, tutor, etc. I think you're the only person I've ever seen who considers a Pokemon's movepool to be restricted to level up only.

You've clearly misunderstood me. I didn't say that Pokemon is restricted to level up moves. I know that it matters on TMs, breeding and tutoring. I just stated that these moves are not moves that Venusaur learns. All I said was that Torterra has a better movepool and I mean the LEVELLING UP movepool, so you're wrong.

Last edited:

You've clearly misunderstood me. I didn't say that Pokemon is restricted to level up moves. I know that it matters on TMs, breeding and tutoring. I just stated that these moves are not moves that Venusaur learns. All I said was that Torterra has a better movepool and I mean the LEVELING UP movepool, so you're wrong.

How am I wrong? Venusaur still learns them, just not from level up. In your original post, all you said was movepool. It's natural that from this people would assume you meant... movepool. Not level up only moves. And frankly, the distinction means nothing. It really doesn't matter where a Pokemon gets their moves from as long as they get the moves. Venusaur's movepool is far superior to Torterra.

Venusaur still gets Sleep Powder via level up, and let's face it, that alone makes all the difference.

Of course, Growth and Synthesis certainly don't hurt any.

Venusaur still gets Sleep Powder via level up, and let's face it, that alone makes all the difference.

Well yes that's a good part of it's levelling up movepool. But still Torterra has Wood Hammer, Earthquake and Crunch.

Of course, Growth and Synthesis certainly don't hurt any.

You've clearly misunderstood me. I didn't say that Pokemon is restricted to level up moves. I know that it matters on TMs, breeding and tutoring. I just stated that these moves are not moves that Venusaur learns. All I said was that Torterra has a better movepool and I mean the LEVELING UP movepool, so you're wrong.

How am I wrong? Venusaur still learns them, just not from level up. In your original post, all you said was movepool. It's natural that from this people would assume you meant... movepool. Not level up only moves. And frankly, the distinction means nothing. It really doesn't matter where a Pokemon gets their moves from as long as they get the moves. Venusaur's movepool is far superior to Torterra.

1. Yes, Venusaur doesn't learn these moves from levelling up which I was actually saying all this time.

2. Nope, I did mention which one will be more useful, stats, looks and plus what more can you talk about them? Thats pretty much all you can say about them.

3. If you have read my posts carefully I said that I'm talking about the levelling up movepool only. So don't mention TMs, breeding and tutoring because it makes you sound like you haven't been reading my posts. I know that TMs, breeding and tutoring is important too.

4. Well that's your opinion. In my opinion Torterra has a better levelling up movepool cause of Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Crunch and Razor Leaf which would be more useful on Torterra than Venusaur to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

At no point did you mention specifically referring to the level up movepool.

May I ask, why is their level up movepool such a big deal? Any trainer worth his or her...anything will undoubtedly use Move Tutors and TM's, even if it's just for in-game purposes. Why the focus on their level up moves, which are only one fourth of their options?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom