• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Venusaur vs Torterra

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Venusaur vs Torterra

venusaur.png
VS
torterra.png

Venusaur and Torterra are the two Starters that most resemble each other physically, with Typhlosion and Charizard possibly coming in second. But they have a lot more in common than just that. These two Pokemon are nearly equal in every way.

1) They both have Starter status. What's more, they both have Grass Starter Status

2) They both have unique Starter typing

3) They both have four weaknesses (one less than their Second and Third Gen counterparts). These are:
Venusaur: Fire, Ice, Flying, Psychic
Torterra: Fire, Ice, Flying, Bug

4) Their secondary typings compliment their primary ones by cancelling each other's types out. To elaborate: Venusaur's Poison type is resisted by Torterra's Ground type. Torterra's Ground type is resisted by Venusaur's Grass type. Both Pokemon will hit each other neutrally at best with their STABS

5) Venusaur is the first fully evolved Grass Starter and, for the time being, Torterra is the last

6)Torterra is physically more capable while Venusaur's more specially inclined

Thing is, these guys are pretty evenly matched in almost every way possible. So, why don't you guys decide which of them is better?

So, which one do you prefer?

Who is the most useful overall?

Who would win in a battle?

I'm biased, but my choice is Venusaur. Venusaur is my favorite evolved Pokemon of all time (and it's pre-evolved form Bulbasaur takes the crown for favorite Pokemon overall). But even without my bias, Venusaur is the top Pokemon in UU at the moment. Torterra isn't. Venusaur's just too unpredictable to reliably check whereas Torterra will never be seen as something other than a physical sweeper or tank. Also, Venusaur's typing gives it an advantage against it's own Grass type. I think Venusaur is just about the most epic thing ever to grace Pokemon. That's just me though.

Other Venusaur Starter matchups:

Venusaur vs Meganium

Venusaur vs Sceptile

Venusaur vs Jaroda

Other Torterra Starter matchups:

Meganium vs Torterra

Sceptile vs Torterra

Torterra vs Jaroda

Last edited:
I used both in their respective games. I would say that I prefer Venusaur, but Torterra was very useful for the type combination. As for a battle between the two, probably Torterra, because of stronger attack power and STAB EQ.

I used both in their respective games. I would say that I prefer Venusaur, but Torterra was very useful for the type combination. As for a battle between the two, probably Torterra, because of stronger attack power and STAB EQ.

To be fair, Venusaur has stronger Sp. Attack and STAB Sludge Bomb. STAB Grass Knot which will do a lot of damage to the very heavy Torterra too.

Last edited:
To be fair, Venusaur has stronger Sp. Attack and STAB Sludge Bomb and STAB Grass Knot which will do a lot of damage to the very heavy Torterra.

Hmm didn't even think about Grass Knot - haven't used Venusaur since FRLG. Maybe it's not so clear-cut

As far as usefulness is Venusaur is far superior to Torterra. (though I prefer Torterra appeal-wise, it's just inferior) Torterra is limited to being a physical tank with a debilitating 4x ice weakness whereas Venusaur is a much more effective special/mixed tank with no outstanding negative points, although it has no outstanding postiive points either. Venusaur is pretty sturdy and will usually do what you want it to.

Further, in a battle, Venusaur would easily best Torterra, not to mention that standard Venusaur carries Sleep Powder as well.

And for the sake of argument, damage calculations for the standard sets:
Torterra
212 HP/ 252 Def/ 44 Spe

Venusaur
252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Spe

Torterra's EQ vs. Venusaur
Damage Per Hit: 110 - 132 / 30.2% - 36.3% (Number of Hits: 1)
Critical Hit Chance: 6.3%
Base Attack Power: 100

Venusaur's Grass Knot vs. Torterra
Damage Per Hit: 222 - 262 / 57.8% - 68.2% (Number of Hits: 1)
Critical Hit Chance: 6.3%
Base Attack Power: 180

The result is VERY clear. Venusaur two-hits Torterra without a second glance.

Last edited:
Who cares? They're grass types.

If you anything about UU, you would know that grass types are the most dominant. Venasaur would likely win 1 vs. 1 due to sleep powder. As far as individual usefulness in battle, Venasaur wins. SD sets are really deadly and he can make good use of Sleep Powder. There's a reason he's the most used mon in UU.

Last edited:
There's a reason they're UU

Well, Breloom, Roserade and Celebi are OU. That's more than the number of Fire types in OU and if you want to count the BL Shaymin and Abomasnow, they surpass twice the number of Fire types in the standard tier.

For the record, UU=/=bad, just less used

Keep in mind that I like Torterra better, it's just a cooler pokemon. However, its usefulness in a competitive environment is questionable. If it had Venusaur's speed, it would actually have a chance...but it doesn't, the poor thing can't even use a Scarf effectively.

this. grass types suck. I've never used either and never will because they are both the worst starters in their respective gens. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Venusaur just because Torterra is a copy.

That's a little harsh, don't you think? I don't think Grass types suck. In fact, it's my favorite type.

Oh, and speaking in-game, Venusaur's the best starter choice in Kanto. Competitively, it's used a lot more than the ever popular Charizard and even more than Blastoise.

Torterra's more or less as useful as Infernape and Empoleon in-game, though I'll admit he's kinda inferior competitively (damn Ice-weakness.)

this. grass types suck. I've never used either and never will because they are both the worst starters in their respective gens. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Venusaur just because Torterra is a copy.

That logic was broken down already. There are quite a few very good grass types in OU/BL, including Celebi, Breloom, Roserade, Shaymin, and (to a lesser extent) Abomasnow.

And Blastoise is the worst 1st gen starter. As for 4th gen, Torterra may be the worst starter of the three, but only because both Infernape and Empoleon are massively good. It's certainly not the worst starter over all...that'd be Meganium. XD

That logic was broken down already. There are quite a few very good grass types in OU/BL, including Celebi, Breloom, Roserade, Shaymin, and (to a lesser extent) Abomasnow.

And Blastoise is the worst 1st gen starter. As for 4th gen, Torterra may be the worst starter of the three, but only because both Infernape and Empoleon are massively good. It's certainly not the worst starter over all...that'd be Meganium. XD

You're mileage may vary. It seems a lot of people consider Empoleon the worst.

You're mileage may vary. It seems a lot of people consider Empoleon the worst.

And they'd be wrong. Agility Subpetaya Empoleon is beastly. If you can get that set up (and it's not terribly difficult late game with a bit of prediction) it's a fantastic late-game sweeper. It's OU for a reason.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom