• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #29 Do you use sacrificial moves?

Do you use sacrificial moves - and for offence or support?

• Yes - I use offensive moves such as Explosion and Self Destruct

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Yes - I use support moves such as Healing Wish.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Yes - I use both offensive and support moves.

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • No, I do not.

Votes: 79 62.7%

• Total voters
No, resorting to those kind of moves just makes your opponent faint easily and there's no challenge into beating them.

Memento is actually pretty good in competitive battles when used correctly, it can give a frail setup sweeper a good chance to set up while keeping momentum on your side. Moreover, it's pretty much the only way to reliably abuse Belly Drum.

In-game, sacrificial moves can be quite nice for levelling up a low level Pokemon, letting it get 100% of the experience points from a fight against a powerful enemy if a stronger Poke makes the sacrifice. Otherwise, they're kind of a waste of good experience.

Sacrifices brings opportunity in the World of Pokemon, or at least a way to go out with a band. Trust me, using sacrificial moves can really change the tide of battle at the right moment. In-game though is very skimpy to use sacrificial moves, especially anything not named Explosion.

Hey, nobody's mentioned Destiny Bond?

Destiny bond doesn't make your pokemon faint. So how is it a sacrificial move? Its more like a "You take me down, I'll take you down" revenge-like move.

Memento is a great move for Pokemon who can abuse "dual screens". It is great against offensive teams for offensive teams who need one turn for set-up but is screwed up against defensive teams who hardly bother about the decrease in attack.

The best user of Final Gambit is without doubt Shedinja Victini. The maximum possible hp, Victini can have is 404, which means that anything with less than base 100 hp is getting ko'ed if your victini has max health.

No, as I don't sacrifice my Pokemon just to get an edge over the opponent. Over-use of sacrificial moves is one of the reasons I hate physical users- they're mostly a bunch of suicidal brutes who spam moves like thrash or outrage.

I havent used them. I fiond it really difficult to do that so I usually stick to offensive moves. One funny story was I was battling pryce in heart gold we were down to our last pokemon I had a forretress and I decided hey lets use explosion! haha defeated his last guy as well as mine I waas like ya a tie! but then found out I didn't even get the badge and had to do it all over again oh well

To be honest I have never used, or remembered ever using any move that sacrifices my Pokemon. I have seen other trainers using moves like Explosion, Selfdestruct etc. But I personally wouldn't want to use up that move slot for something that may be a risky play. In my experience I haven't seen many win battles with these types of Attacks, but that's just from what I have seen.

As far as the self sacrifice support move-pool again I haven't ever really considered a strategy involving these moves and I also rarely see them used by others.

Yeah, but I really only use Healing Wish and Destiny Bond.

Destiny bond doesn't make your pokemon faint. So how is it a sacrificial move? Its more like a "You take me down, I'll take you down" revenge-like move.

But it can only be used when your Pokemon is about to faint. So you have to let your Pokemon faint for it to be successful. Therefore, it is, albeit indirectly, a sacrificial move.

Fun battling my sister with my hacked Pokemon. Have a Pokemon use Momento, then switch to Shadow Tag Gothitelle. Obviously not good for longer battles, but it's fun for making my sister rage. HACKING TROLL LOLOL good times. xD; I'm so bad.

In serious battles, though, I'd only use Explosion if a) I had no chance of winning and wanted to lose with a bang, or 2) in Double Battles where my partner is ghost/used Protect.

A few years back, I made a team solely on the fact that they all had learned either Explosion or Self-destruct. Needless to say, they weren't very useful, but it was so much fun.

of course.

boom mainly. mix LO snorlax was fun for a while. healing wish i've used probably only once.

The only time that I use sacrificial moves is when my Pokemon's health is pretty low.
And even then, I only use support moves.

Nope. Only used Selfdestruct once when my Geodude had 1HP left, while battling Jasmine.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom