• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #29 Do you use sacrificial moves?

Do you use sacrificial moves - and for offence or support?

• Yes - I use offensive moves such as Explosion and Self Destruct

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Yes - I use support moves such as Healing Wish.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Yes - I use both offensive and support moves.

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • No, I do not.

Votes: 79 62.7%

• Total voters
I'm not going to lie, I love sacrificial moves just so I can annoy my friends.

Destiny Bond is a personal favorite of mine.

I have used them before, and by "used" I mean "PRESS IT EVERY TIME IT SHOWS UP"

But the longer I've played, the less I tend to use them. I still use things like Destiny Bond.
Stuff like Selfdestruct and things though, I use only when I'm playing leisurely.

Used Explosion when it was actually very effective in Gen IV. Now it's crap. So yeah I use it, but only in Gen IV battles.

Oh my heck yes Explosion is my best friend simply because I stream pokemon and can force this on other people...*knows im going to die no matter what* calls out snorlax laughs evily.... brings up youtube searchers "what made milwakee famous self destruct..... press play .... wait for it... I wouldn't self destruct for aaaannnyyyboooddy elsee... snorlax uses self destruct .... every time all the time

I don't refuse to use them, but I use them very rarely. Explosion is actually quite good for a last resort. If you know for a fact that your pokemon will be defeated this turn or if it only has i hp left, it's great for a last finish.

I like to use perish song when my oponent is down to its last pokemon and I still have a spare pokemon in my party specially in battle frontier or battle subway

I do not use sacrificial moves at all -- pokemon is a game of advantages, and taking out one of your pokemon for someone else's doesn't give you any advantage in the long run. I prefer to beat opponents by other strategies.

I once used Healing Wish with my Lopunny, and sent out my Rampardos which was paralyzed and HP running low in the red zone. It totally helped turning the tables, so I use Healing Wish once in a while

I very rarely use them. But I did use Explosion and Curse (which is kinda a sacrificial move I guess) with my Golem and Haunter respectively to good effect in HeartGold on a number of occasions, especially against tough Gym Leaders. But I much prefer just using normal attacks or status moves.

No. I think they only waste the turn, or are not worth it. Especially the sacrificial moves. You sacrifice one of your damage-dealers to faint one of the opponent's pokémon, but then your pokémon obviously have the ability to faint more than just one. You're wrecking opportunities. I don't get it.

I guess I'm fairly okay with Support moves, but mainly because I haven't used them enough to give my verdict.

Whimsicott used used Stun Spore!
Whimsicott used Leech Seed!
Whimsicott used Memento!
Sent out Chandelure!

Only when I really need to and that's extremly rarely. Even then, I would prefer to damage the opponent in that case as the sacrifice would feel pointless to me otherwise.

Gen IV and beyond: Only damage dealing ones, don't see the point of Memento, Healing Wish (though it has some use), etc.
Gen V: No, Explosion is too weak to really be of any use, if you're going to have a sacrificial move, don't decrease the power from 500 to 250.

I don't even know why they invented sacrificial moves. All they do is suck all your HP away in hopes of getting the other pokemon.... for which they might still stand.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom