• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VIZ releasing Pokemon Special D/P arc volume in February 2011

Rex Kamex

OSHAWHAT?
Reaction score
No, seriously...

Honestly, I would've done a one-volume-per-month speed up starting next year, but heeeeey...

Thanks to SmartD on Sppf for noticing this...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
People are speculating that it's called "Pokemon Adventures Platinum" instead of "Pokemon Adventures Diamond and Pearl" in order not to confuse itself with "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure."

In any case, I highly doubt it.

People are speculating that it's called "Pokemon Adventures Platinum" instead of "Pokemon Adventures Diamond and Pearl" in order not to confuse itself with "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure."
And the Macekre begins, my friends... This is surely the first of many horrible changes.

Um, so what happened to RS, FRLG, and Emerald? Not that I don't mind DP but...

EDIT: Oh guys, stop complaining.

1. Be happy we're getting SPED UP releases.

2. Yeah, they added a "Platinum" subtitle. But that's smart. Why?
- A. It doesn't confuse people with DP Adventure. Having Adventure DP and DP Adventure would suck.
- B. Platinum was the "Director's Cut" of DP, meaning it was more "true to the view" than DP was.
- C. The real Platinum arc isn't going anywhere - literally, so it's not like we should actually care about this subtitle.

3. No, this will not be a Mackere of the manga. Look at Viz's translations of other Pokemon manga, and manga in general. You'll see that they aren't 4Kids like people seem to think and do stick to the original translations. You're basically getting what Chaung Yi gave you but better and in English wordings and phrases you are familiar with. Viz knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
Um, so what happened to RS, FRLG, and Emerald? Not that I don't mind DP but...
I echo the question. This is an actual issue of concern.

Certainly, they can skip the whole GenIII for DP and not suffer, mostly because DP is kinda independent from all the other PokeSpe chapters... so far. We don't know if the Platinum arc will ever tie them up.

...but what about the GenIII chapters? We still want them! They're among the best bits of the PokeSpe manga!

It'd suck if they're holding them out for possible Gen III remakes. Oh wait, I just realized this meant that Pokemon Adventures Gold & Silver will be released along with Pokemon Adventures Platinum. Looks like they want to give us the full Gen IV treatment. However, if they're releasing two different chapters then why not release the RS one as well then work up to Emerald? Guess that's a lot of work for 'em. But it's alright, at the rate they're going at, by the time their Platinum books hit the teens, the GS chapter will hit volume 15 AKA the start of the RS saga in no time, so I guess it is nothing to worry about. I mean, they already have volumes 8-10 planned out, so we're okay.

It'd suck if they're holding them out for possible Gen III remakes.
That makes no sense to me, but I can totally see the marketing department agreeing with the thought. Cash in with what's already there, not waiting until the actual chapter for those potential remakes is done...

But if they weren't remade, or worse, their chapter got published in haste or something, we'd never see the RS, FRLG and Emerald arcs in our lifetimes!

I'm mostly annoyed that they're starting the numbering over than anything else...

Honestly, it looks like they're just going to release them at the same time, since volume 11 is out on the same day: Link I don't see them changing the title as being any indicator of a terrible translation or editing anything.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That makes no sense to me, but I can totally see the marketing department agreeing with the thought. Cash in with what's already there, not waiting until the actual chapter for those potential remakes is done...

But if they weren't remade, or worse, their chapter got published in haste or something, we'd never see the RS, FRLG and Emerald arcs in our lifetimes!

Like I said in my earlier post, we're going to get the RSE and FRLG arcs. The book where GS ends is volume 15, which is about 10% the final battle of GS and 90% the start of RS, so they're going to release RS onwards to DP normally. Just give them time, we'll get to RSE and FRLG in no time at all via the bi-monthly releases.

I'm mostly annoyed that they're starting the numbering over than anything else...

What do you expect? You want them to name the first DP volume "Volume 20-something or other" so everyone is aware that there's a crapload of volumes that have been skipped?

I have a feeling that we're getting Adventures: Platinum to give us a more up-to-date story with newer Pokémon, and the RSEFRLG sagas will be released at the usual rate that the GS arc is.

However, they could have done a Naruto/One Piece and release loads of volumes a month until they caught up xD

I have a feeling that we're getting Adventures: Platinum to give us a more up-to-date story with newer Pokémon, and the RSEFRLG sagas will be released at the usual rate that the GS arc is.

However, they could have done a Naruto/One Piece and release loads of volumes a month until they caught up xD

The problem with that is that Naruto/One Piece is not a complete story. Neither is Pokemon Adventures/Special, but by adding subtitles to the bottom ("Gold and Silver," "Platinum") they define each chapter as it's own series, so releasing all those volumes a month would be seen as an effort to release the all the series at once regarding most of the arcs other than DP, because most of them are only about 3-5 volumes and it's generally a bad idea to release an entire manga series at once when it's complete.

If they do that, then they lose out on any chance to release "Complete Set"-styled releases that contain all the volumes of a specific chapter, which Viz has a habit of doing.

What do you expect? You want them to name the first DP volume "Volume 20-something or other" so everyone is aware that there's a crapload of volumes that have been skipped?
Yes, yes we do.

I don't care if this is a "at least we're getting the volumes released legally in the USA!" issue, those guys should respect the fan community they've neglected for so long and stick to what those "new, separate" volumes actually are.

The problem with that is that Naruto/One Piece is not a complete story. Neither is Pokemon Adventures/Special, but by adding subtitles to the bottom ("Gold and Silver," "Platinum") they define each chapter as it's own series, so releasing all those volumes a month would be seen as an effort to release the all the series at once regarding most of the arcs other than DP, because most of them are only about 3-5 volumes and it's generally a bad idea to release an entire manga series at once when it's complete.

If they do that, then they lose out on any chance to release "Complete Set"-styled releases that contain all the volumes of a specific chapter, which Viz has a habit of doing.

We all know they're gonna do a Naruto Part 2 Complete Set when it's finished. I agree though, releasing a whole chapter in 2 months would be weird. Although, the world is only recovering from the recession; it'd be a quick money-maker.

Still, bi-monthly releases are still awesome.

Yes, yes we do.

I don't care if this is a "at least we're getting the volumes released legally in the USA!" issue, those guys should respect the fan community they've neglected for so long and stick to what those "new, separate" volumes actually are.

But that'd be... retarded. So starting August, you'll have volume 8, by December we'll have volume 9 or 10 I believe, we'll still be on the GS arc... then by February you want Viz to release volume 30?

I understand being an avid reader and fan of a series but wanting it so much to have the publishers/translators do bad business decisions that can give them bad rep and put them out of business isn't worth it.

It would be nice. Unusual, but nice. Actually, I'll be happy if they start at 1 with RS as well, so it won't end up looking like the series goes to 20-something and then starts over at 1.

But that'd be... retarded. So starting August, you'll have volume 8, by December we'll have volume 9 or 10 I believe, we'll still be on the GS arc... then by February you want Viz to release volume 30?

I understand being an avid reader and fan of a series but wanting it so much to have the publishers/translators do bad business decisions that can give them bad rep and put them out of business isn't worth it.
I'm known for being vindictive, not logical or reasonable.

Anyways, it's kinda their problem. Instead of picking DP up, they should have begun translating the other volumes earlier, or they should speed up their work to catch up.

...either way, much talk about English-speaking USAns. What about the potential Spanish-speaking market? News on our front yet, from any company?

It would be nice. Unusual, but nice. Actually, I'll be happy if they start at 1 with RS as well, so it won't end up looking like the series goes to 20-something and then starts over at 1.

They can't start at 1 with RS because the first volume of RS(volume 15) actually begins with the last chapter of GS. With DP they got a free ticket because the first DP book starts with just... DP.

Guys, it's not all Viz fault. For the reason above, the RS arc can't just be skipped to. Neither can the FRLG arc because it contains major references to the RS arc, and so does the Emerald arc. Also, as I mentioned above, the chapters are all too short for them to "speed up a release" for all of them to the present, so that would cause them to lose money and as a business they can't afford to do that. DP was their only and choicest option.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom