• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VIZ releasing Pokemon Special D/P arc volume in February 2011

They can't start at 1 with RS because the first volume of RS(volume 15) actually begins with the last chapter of GS. With DP they got a free ticket because the first DP book starts with just... DP.
They could renumber it anyway, or just move the last chapters of GS into Volume 14. I wouldn't mind either way.

Releasing DP quicker won't affect G/S (and later R/S's) releases. Means more money for Viz Media, and more manga for us.
What's the problem?

Releasing DP quicker won't affect G/S (and later R/S's) releases. Means more money for Viz Media, and more manga for us.
What's the problem?

Was this directed at me? Not too sure... But I want to make it clear that it would be totally okay for them to sped up DP's releases, because it's not a complete chapter, yet.

They could renumber it anyway, or just move the last chapters of GS into Volume 14. I wouldn't mind either way.

Actually, I'd be cool with that too, if it weren't for the fact that the Kanto and Johto Dex Holders are featured on the cover of GS's last/RS's first volume, which means that'd technically be false advertising, which they would want to avoid by editing them off the cover, which fans would complain about because it wouldn't be "faithful to the original."

What's the problem?
That I'm still not getting the manga released in my language?

Everything, really. I just dislike the legal entities that translate manga into English; they always ruin it.

Everything, really. I just dislike the legal entities that translate manga into English; they always ruin it.
How are they ruining it? So far we've only had one edit - Green's Booball, which was understandable as this is in the VizKids line.

Honestly, please don't buy into the popular misconception that official license holders screw up translating manga. That certainly is not true, especially of Viz. Look at they're previous Pokemon Adventures volumes - with the exception of editing the Blue Pokeboob scene and the Blue/Green naming thing, the adaption pretty much takes after the original. Viz knows what they're doing. Give 'em a chance. This goes for most other official manga translators too, especially the Spanish/Romance Language/European ones, which are known for having Wooleyism translations of the original source material. And that's never bad.

Honestly I really am happy that they're releasing this, and never doubted that they'd continue to release the earlier volumes as usual. I'm just slightly annoyed at the inconsistency in numbering. But even that wouldn't be an issue if in the future they were consistent in restarting the numbering with new chapters, or at least groups of chapters. If not, hey I've always got the Japanese versions to have pretty consistent numbering on my shelf :D

What do you think has been "ruined" about any of the ones we've got?
On PokeSpe, I heard they censored Blue's battle with Sabrina. I don't know who was the culprit, but I still got mad over it. Other odd cases of censorship of the series have also reached me; excuse me if I can't name them all, my memory is goldfishy and only the trauma of the above got me enough to at least remember it.

...and I have a complaint on the Singaporean translation, too, but that's not relevant for the USA territory even if it's still an English product.

Away from PokeSpe, I own several manga volumes of several series that were equally censored for no reason. The scenes they tend to cut out are pretty innocent in comparison to everything that follows. For these manga, there are no fan-scanlations thanks to the many crack-downs on them, and there are no Spanish versions either. But this is not on-topic, so...

I just hope this pressures the Japanese publishers to publish the first volume of HGSS. They'll know that the Americans will want that saga now while HGSS is still "fresh," lol.

Honestly, please don't buy into the popular misconception that official license holders screw up translating manga. That certainly is not true, especially of Viz. Look at they're previous Pokemon Adventures volumes - with the exception of editing the Blue Pokeboob scene and the Blue/Green naming thing, the adaption pretty much takes after the original. Viz knows what they're doing. Give 'em a chance. This goes for most other official manga translators too, especially the Spanish/Romance Language/European ones, which are known for having Wooleyism translations of the original source material. And that's never bad.
Oh yeah, that.

Either way, my bad experiences are mostly with all the other companies, I admit; I had never heard of Viz before, actually, so I'll trust you... If I ever get my hands on a single volume, I'll write back to you.

However, I dunno where you get the Spanish testimony from. And there's no such thing such as an official translator entity that cares to sell outside Spain, anyways, so no use for me.

On PokeSpe, I heard they censored Blue's battle with Sabrina. I don't know who was the culprit, but I still got mad over it. Other odd cases of censorship of the series have also reached me; excuse me if I can't name them all, my memory is goldfishy and only the trauma of the above got me enough to at least remember it.

...and I have a complaint on the Singaporean translation, too, but that's not relevant for the USA territory even if it's still an English product.

Away from PokeSpe, I own several manga volumes of several series that were equally censored for no reason. The scenes they tend to cut out are pretty innocent in comparison to everything that follows. For these manga, there are no fan-scanlations thanks to the many crack-downs on them, and there are no Spanish versions either. But this is not on-topic, so...

From what I hear, the only changes in the Viz English release was the Green vs Sabrina, where a panel was changed and dialogue around said panel changed to hide that she hid her Pokéballs down her top, which for a children's manga would be out of order. Sure, the manga may be more intense than the anime, but it's under the Vizkid's label. Also, Green and Blue's names were swapped to follow suit with how outside of Japan, we had Red and Blue versions instead of Red and Green.

However, I wouldn't know about the other Pokémon series', because I only read Adventures. However, the only other noticeable edit I saw was in Naruto, with Shikamaru vs Hidan. They edited out Shikamaru's cigarette, which TVTokyo also did in the anime adaptation of that fight. Because children smoking = bad.

Also, although you go on about Spain a lot, you seem to know a fair bit of English. Thebookdepository.com ships all books free worldwide, and they sell the 2nd Edition Viz Media Adventures printings.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that.

Either way, my bad experiences are mostly with all the other companies, I admit; I had never heard of Viz before, actually, so I'll trust you... If I ever get my hands on a single volume, I'll write back to you.

However, I dunno where you get the Spanish testimony from. And there's no such thing such as an official translator entity that cares to sell outside Spain, anyways, so no use for me.

If you want to see how close to the original Viz is with their stuff, check out their volumes of Diamond Pearl Adventure. Some of their volumes are so direct in fact that you'd be surprised. They keep the Japanese names, the Japanese chapter titles, everything, basically.

As for the Spanish thing, I mostly read on TvTropes about famous European manga/anime translations that are notable for Woolseyisms.

That was really the only thing changed (although WHY they changed it was beyond me because it was A-OK for the original translation). As for cutting out chapters, that hasn't happened in this series, and the only series I can think of where it DID happen, Oh My Goddess, was done because they didn't know if the series would be a hit or not and wanted to condense the storyline to get to the main meat. Later they rereleased it all with the cut chapters intact.

Also, although you go on about Spain a lot, you seem to know a fair bit of English. Thebookdepository.com ships all books free worldwide, and they sell the 2nd Edition Viz Media Adventures printings.
Just like you, guys, I like to have stuff in my language. It's sad that everyone assumes that because one knows English that's the language everyone will fit their lives around.

...but I'll stop now, before I rant my heart away.

Now, then, on shipping stuff around the globe, I have a disadvantage, as the dollar is 12 or so of my pesos, and I have a limited amount of those. Again, this is the reason I want my manga in my language in my country; they'd have reasonable prices.

EDIT: Are you sure they ship for free? I mean, just in case... Forget it, no Mexico; I'm back on square 1.

If you want to see how close to the original Viz is with their stuff, check out their volumes of Diamond Pearl Adventure. Some of their volumes are so direct in fact that you'd be surprised. They keep the Japanese names, the Japanese chapter titles, everything, basically.
How about the jokes Diamond and Pearl do? I still wonder how anyone could make them funny...

Last edited:
How about the jokes Diamond and Pearl do? I still wonder how anyone could make them funny...

To be fair, the puns in the original Japanese are supposed to be funny to little kids, (and in Japan, they actually make this kind of CoroCoro humor different than your run of the mill shonen humor, so 6-10 year olds find them hilarious) not really teenagers or grown ups. So honestly, regardless of how they translate them, depending on your age you may or may not find them funny. Chances are we won't, but they can surprise us, maybe...

Honestly, this is much better than nothing, if this does well enough we might see those older issues released as well. (As Viz has done it in the past)

Honestly, this is much better than nothing, if this does well enough we might see those older issues released as well. (As Viz has done it in the past)

The unreleased chapters will be released normally like GS is. Again, we're going to get the full deal, only better than we normally would. In the long run, doing this will keep the Viz releases close to the Japanese ones overall. Just think about it for a sec. and it all makes sense.

Joey said:
Honestly I really am happy that they're releasing this, and never doubted that they'd continue to release the earlier volumes as usual. I'm just slightly annoyed at the inconsistency in numbering.

Yeah, same here. I'm fine with them putting things like "Gold and Silver" on the covers- since I'm assuming they'll go on the spines of the books too- and still keeping the original volume numbers. That way, kids would see the various story arcs of the manga, and even though, say, they see 29 volumes of the serious and then see volume 30 with "Diamond and Pearl" on its spine, they could start reading there.

Or, on the back of volume 30 and similar volumes, it could say, "New story arc: Start Here!" like on certain One Piece volumes. A kid would be "lured" into reading the back on the book in the first place because it'd be the first volume with that arc name.

But... what happened happened. I don't mean to outright bash this unexpected release at all- I just don't want to act like I don't find anything wrong with this release. Like I said before, I would've had a monthly release with story arc names on the side. Although I'd move that last G/S/C chapter to Volume 14.

(Sure, only R/S chapters would be in Volume 15, where most of the people on that cover aren't in the volume, but... Red and co. didn't have unevolved starters by that point either.)

To be fair, it is a long series with many starting points, so I don't blame them for starting the numbering system over.

NeoKING said:
I just hope this pressures the Japanese publishers to publish the first volume of HGSS. They'll know that the Americans will want that saga now while HGSS is still "fresh," lol.

I don't see that happening until after the end of the Diamond and Pearl and Platinum arc/s, which will take a while, although I'm sure the volumes, in Japan, will be released no later than once every two months. Hopefully even once every month, starting in August. I'd rather wait for them to publish those arcs first anyway.

EDIT: Wait a minute- if they can release the G/S/C arc and the D/P arc at the same time, why didn't they just release the G/S/C arc at a monthly rate? By the time the first D/P volume comes to the US, the games Black and White will be not that far behind. So they'd go out of their way to start releasing volumes about the Gen that'd be just about to become obsolete. Meh...

Last edited:
I don't see that happening until after the end of the Diamond and Pearl and Platinum arc/s, which will take a while, although I'm sure the volumes, in Japan, will be released no later than once every two months. Hopefully even once every month, starting in August. I'd rather wait for them to publish those arcs first anyway.

Well not a long while at least. The DP series only has about 1-3 more tankoban left to be released IIRC.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom