• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

Au contrair. There are numerous groups that attempt to enforce it, at least on Fanfiction, and 'improve' the writing, that are really little more than organized groups of flamers. Which, if this was a discussion of the single biggest issue with the website Fanfiction.net, would make the top of the list. But you're right in that there really is no one who enforces proper English, a thought that will haunt me the day I start paying taxes to pay for public education...

If you take good English to mean correct spelling and grammar, I largely agree. It is possible to take the concept too seriously, though. Spelling and grammar are there to aid understanding, after all. Take the idea of the split infinitive - a grammar "rule" that was flat-out made up in the Victorian era and serves no function as an aid to understanding whatsoever. Enforcing something like that smacks of intellectual elitism, to me

.Tired Cliches- I've seen enough Pokemon that either; hang around outside their pokeballs, are shiny, have an alternate color that isn't shiny or normal, talk, understand fluent English, etc. for one lifetime, thank you very much.

While I enjoyed reading your post in general, I have to raise my hand and say that I honestly don't see anything wrong with Pokémon being outside of their Pokéballs.

The idea of all Pokémon other than Pikachu being constantly inside their Pokéballs is really just a contrivance to allow the animators to not have to animate extra characters constantly and for the writers to not have to write in all those other Pokémon (say up to two or three per character) having to do stuff, and in the games, its simply a game mechanic.

In a world where Pokémon actually existed, I'd find it hard to believe that nearly all trainers would keep all their Pokémon inside their Pokéballs except for battles and eating.

I actually I agree with you there, especially when someone's traveling alone, as it really gives the Pokemon a much more in depth look. I really should have worded that better, because I love stories when it serves a purpose. Mainly, I was referring to when a Pokemon is out of a Pokeball just to be out of it, and the only development they get is when they say "Charmander!" every other chapter or so. Or, and I have seen it before, when all six Pokemon walk around outside their Pokeballs, or somehow, the fact that they're outside of them allows someone to carry more than six. Also, it bugs me when there's no reason given, the trainer just goes, " Oh, I'll bet you'd like to walk around outside!" and we never even know whether or not that Pokemon cared. So, as an edit to my previous, incorrect, statement, I only dislike the concept of Pokemon being outside when it isn't executed well. To me, if it's explained well enough, and is executed so as to enhance either one of, or both, the trainer and Pokemon, it's perfectly fine, and I genuinely like it.

.Tired Cliches- I've seen enough Pokemon that either; hang around outside their pokeballs, are shiny, have an alternate color that isn't shiny or normal, talk, understand fluent English, etc. for one lifetime, thank you very much.

While I enjoyed reading your post in general, I have to raise my hand and say that I honestly don't see anything wrong with Pokémon being outside of their Pokéballs.

The idea of all Pokémon other than Pikachu being constantly inside their Pokéballs is really just a contrivance to allow the animators to not have to animate extra characters constantly and for the writers to not have to write in all those other Pokémon (say up to two or three per character) having to do stuff, and in the games, its simply a game mechanic.

In a world where Pokémon actually existed, I'd find it hard to believe that nearly all trainers would keep all their Pokémon inside their Pokéballs except for battles and eating.

I actually I agree with you there, especially when someone's traveling alone, as it really gives the Pokemon a much more in depth look. I really should have worded that better, because I love stories when it serves a purpose. Mainly, I was referring to when a Pokemon is out of a Pokeball just to be out of it, and the only development they get is when they say "Charmander!" every other chapter or so. Or, and I have seen it before, when all six Pokemon walk around outside their Pokeballs, or somehow, the fact that they're outside of them allows someone to carry more than six. Also, it bugs me when there's no reason given, the trainer just goes, " Oh, I'll bet you'd like to walk around outside!" and we never even know whether or not that Pokemon cared. So, as an edit to my previous, incorrect, statement, I only dislike the concept of Pokemon being outside when it isn't executed well. To me, if it's explained well enough, and is executed so as to enhance either one of, or both, the trainer and Pokemon, it's perfectly fine, and I genuinely like it.

Oh. I get it now!

This is one part I'm not that very much agree with.

We have seen so many Pokemon talking. That is not only Meowth of the TRio in the anime, but also Slowking of the Lugia Movie, and many legendary Pokemons in the Movies (speak through telepathy though).
Also, Pokemon that speaks human language is not limited to only anime fandom. In the Pocket Monster gag manga by Kosaku Anakubo, all Pokemon interact with humans like normal human beings. Also in many other mangas, Pokemon again speak human language with telepathy.
By the way, in any one of the Pokemon fandoms, although the lifestyle of Pokemon itself is very animal-like, but it shows they all understand and able to interpret human language, although they may not able to speak it out actually. With the human beings like N that can understand Pokemon's word, then Pokemon technically does able to "speak human language", nonetheless it is understandable by several limited humans such as N.

Again, of course, the key rule is "don't over do it". It might be annoying that every single Pokemon in a fic talks human language (either through actual voice or telepathy) for no appropriate reason. But if do it right, it can become a key element used to develop Pokemon characteristics.

In the current fic I'm working, many of the Pokemon can talk human language using telepathy, where such phenomenon causes many researchers to study about it. It will be reveal in the later chapters that the reason behind such phenomenon is one major constituent for the plot development.

This is one part I'm not that very much agree with.

We have seen so many Pokemon talking. That is not only Meowth of the TRio in the anime, but also Slowking of the Lugia Movie, and many legendary Pokemons in the Movies (speak through telepathy though).
Also, Pokemon that speaks human language is not limited to only anime fandom. In the Pocket Monster gag manga by Kosaku Anakubo, all Pokemon interact with humans like normal human beings. Also in many other mangas, Pokemon again speak human language with telepathy.
By the way, in any one of the Pokemon fandoms, although the lifestyle of Pokemon itself is very animal-like, but it shows they all understand and able to interpret human language, although they may not able to speak it out actually. With the human beings like N that can understand Pokemon's word, then Pokemon technically does able to "speak human language", nonetheless it is understandable by several limited humans such as N.

Again, of course, the key rule is "don't over do it". It might be annoying that every single Pokemon in a fic talks human language (either through actual voice or telepathy) for no appropriate reason. But if do it right, it can become a key element used to develop Pokemon characteristics.

In the current fic I'm working, many of the Pokemon can talk human language using telepathy, where such phenomenon causes many researchers to study about it. It will be reveal in the later chapters that the reason behind such phenomenon is one major constituent for the plot development.

Most of what you said I agree with, especially not overdoing it. However, most of the Pokemon who can talk, usually, as you noted, use telepathy, and these Pokemon are almost always either Psychic types, which makes sense, or legendary Pokemon, which imply legend-worthy powers, such as telepathy. One notable exception to this, which you also noted, is Meowth. However, even though he didn't use telepathy, he made a conscious effort to learn (insert default human language for country of anime here.) What I was more referring to though, are the wild Pokemon, who neither have inherent Psychic powers, and have most likely never even heard humans speak, yet can speak-speak. Of course, the in-and-of itself could lead to an interesting fanfic, but when it's never explored, and there's no reason given to it, leaving it as being little more than a novelty, it bothers me. It's similar to the Pokemon being outside of their Pokeballs explanation I gave. Anything is okay, so long as it furthers the story, and is given some sort of explanation, or is at least plausible.

Anything is okay, so long as it furthers the story, and is given some sort of explanation, or is at least plausible.

I would even drop the last two and say that anything that furthers the story is okay. Implausible things tend to be non-okay only because they don't further the story.

I have my Pokémon speak, mostly because it's convenient at times.

Excellent point--what's scarier to me is NOT seeing the monster/psycho.

Unfortunately, horror filmmakers nowadays try to impress audience with showing the monster.

On that same note, how about unlikeable characters (or canon characters made unlikeable) who are in a horrific situation yet you hate them enough to want them to die?

Excellent point--what's scarier to me is NOT seeing the monster/psycho.

Unfortunately, horror filmmakers nowadays try to impress audience with showing the monster.

On that same note, how about unlikeable characters (or canon characters made unlikeable) who are in a horrific situation yet you hate them enough to want them to die?

You mean characters that are horrible people, so much so that you can't feel sorry for them even in their circumstances. I can see that being a problem, particularly if the story makes it clear that you ARE supposed to empathize with them.

You mean characters that are horrible people, so much so that you can't feel sorry for them even in their circumstances.

Yeah. Maybe it's because those kind of writers see them as "relatable."

For me, it's including Canon characters in the story. If it's my own OC's, then it's totally fine because I know exactly how they act and how they react to different situations.

But if it's a Canon, it's not my own character. I don't always know how they'd react to something, I don't know everything about their personality. And when I use both Canon and OC, I'm always afraid that I'll end up glorifying my own character, so I give the canon all the attention because I don't want to seem like a Suethor (definition: Author of Mary Sue stories).

It's been said before, but the overwhelming majority of what could be considered "chatfics". :/

Not only are the pieces themselves generally craftless and effortless, they give a bad reputation to what it ACTUALLY means to write in a PROPER television or film format.

Since these things are often a fic reader's first exposure to what could be considered a "script" in any sense of the word (though for the type of low grade stuff I'm referring to, it often BARELY applies), people are left with the impression that scriptwriting is a means of telling a story as lazily and effortlessly as possible, while providing little to no description of the actions and settings.

Personally I think the biggest problem with fanfics is that it is full of newbie writers who mostly don't know what they're doing.

We all have to start somewhere, don't we? What matters is whether those amateurs improve or not.

If you ask me, the main problem with fanfics would be that the authors make far too many assumptions. Assuming things is a mortal sin in writing. For everything you assume your readers will know, as least one will not. Go out of your way to describe everything, so nobody is left with a feeling of confusion. Otherwise, you're risking losing readers. The more assumptions you make, the more likely it is someone will get frustrated trying to understand your story, and as more and more people do that, you'll be left with an audience of 1,000 and a fanbase of 1. As I said in another thread...

Never, EVER assume that your readers know something. I don't know how may times I've been turned off of a fanfiction because of a case of who-the-fuck-is-that-itis. I don't know a lot of the characters from the animeverse because I stopped watching after Misty left. This causes a big problem whenever people use a character I'm not familiar with in their story and assume I'll know who they are. It's not even something I'm comfortable admitting in a review, because every time I did it, I got yelled at by other reviewers (and sometimes the writer themself) for not knowing who someone was, and people act as if not knowing a character makes you the dumbest person on the Internet. Of course, if this is a character who maybe shows up once or twice, but isn't really important, then there's not a problem. If this character shows up in most or all of your chapters, is frequently mentioned, or is just a main character, then I'm not gonna waste my time reading it. I won't be able to enjoy it because I don't know who they are, and I just can't imagine what's going on. It causes a bit of a mental ragequit, for me.

So, in conclusion, it's not necessary, but it's better to describe as much as possible. Even main characters, in case, say, someone who possibly lives under a rock doesn't know what Ash's current outfit looks like, or just isn't aware the mangaverse exists.

This has likely be mentioned before but I suck at summaries . If you can't right a good summary, why should I bother with the fic? Also poor formatting, such as seeing a mass of words, no breaks or anything, just this mass. Sure the fic could be good but if it a pain in the arse to read than why should I even bother?

Okay, so discussing Mary-Sue's/debating whether that term is a good thing isn't entirely on topic with the thread and I don't want to derail it with a wall-o-text, but I'll try to be brief.

While I do agree that "Mary Sue" is a term that is used far too freely in the current fanfiction community, oftentimes incorrectly, I actually prefer to use it in certain situations. I can wax eloquent to a beginning author about proper character development and good flaws and quality personalities, or I can link them to a Mary Sue page, which will tell them essentially the same thing. Essentially.

I believe that there is no inherently "bad" concept in writing. Like the article said, there have been some beautifully developed characters that fall under the sweeping Mary Sue umbrella, but almost all of these characters have been written by authors far more practiced than we. Developing authors do tend to write their flawless characters in unrealistic, irritating manners, and while, yes, it's possible for it to be done well, said flawless characters are almost always written by more experienced authors who know what they're doing. Like. Yeah, sure, someone could write a perfect character who has grown out of all of their flaws, but with almost all fanfiction this simply doesn't happen. That's why they're badly written characters. :>

The term Mary Sue, at least to me, is a valid stepping-stone when critiquing newer authors, particularly in regards to the wish-fulfillment section. Yes, I'm a lazy reviewer, and yes, sometimes I don't have the balls to go up to someone's first fanfiction and be like "hey I think that your character is bland and boring and far too perfect omg I'm such a mean person," so, yes, I do end up suggesting that the character is a Mary Sue and letting the author do his/her own research at his/her own leisure. No matter how misappropriated the word itself is, the suggestions to fixing badly written characters are still useful, whether or not authors choose to believe that their character fits under the umbrella or not.

This argument is quite vague and makes little sense. Perhaps I'll be less lazy and reserved in the future and just start flat-out calling sh*tty characters when I see them, haha.

...also, I don't agree with the misogyny argument in the slightest. We took the name Mary Sue from a parody Star Trek fanfic where in the main character--named Mary Sue--went around saving the world and doing related feats of typical plotless fanfiction. Also, speaking frankly, I find that a lot of the more vapid, boring characters are female characters, regardless of the genders of their creators. I don't think that naming the term after a particularly noteworthy example that just happened to be female is sexist, and I also don't think that it somehow denounces female-author wish-fulfillment. The majority of beginning fanfiction writers are female, and the majority of their beginning characters are also female, so naming a trope after the majority doesn't seem sexist in the slightest. :>
also, yes, I'm female, so there's no need to call me sexist. Naive, perhaps.

Back on topic, top pick for worst problem goes Mary-- badly written main characters.
Honorable mention to awful grammar and anime ripoffs.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom