• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What's something you dislike about your favorite anime?

guzmania

You don't need a reason to help someone.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
personally, the biggest problem i think neon genesis evangelion had is the... i don't know how to word it other than "lack of nagisa." frankly, it's not like i have a particular attachment to him in either the anime or manga, but the end of his plotline is supposed to be an emotional moment for both shinji and the audience. he was in the anime for a single episode, i just feel like it is very hard to care about him due to how little exposition he was given in the adaptation.
what's something you criticize your favorite series for, or think is something you think they could've handled better? i'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

I kinda agree, Kaworu needed one more episode (or a mini arc ?)

For Sailor Moon, I don't mind the fillers or the extra character development at all however I wish the important story points weren't that different from the manga. For example, the last season is nothing like the manga and it feels like a repeat of the previous seasons whereas the manga tried something new. I also wish Ikuhara didn't force the Rei and Usagi "friendship" so much.

My biggest problem with the Ranma 1/2 anime is Akane, she's insufferable. Her manga counterpart is wayyy better. Happosai (the perverted old man) could also have been handled better, he almost never gets punished for his wrongdoings.

I love the old Cutie Honey anime but it needs a good remake.

The fact that they end.

I have no problem with the broad strokes of Fairy Tail's filler arcs. For the most part, they're woven into the canon narrative rather well and create a convincing illusion of having long-term effects on the plot. The problem is they tend to introduce some highly annoying characters that receive far too much screen time and are hard to get rid of. The Eclipse Celestial Spirits arc is by far the worst offender in this regard, though it does still have its strong points—among them, one of my all-time favorite battles in the whole series (Cana VS Eclipse Scorpio).

Another thing that annoys me is when several pieces of media never get localized. Fairy Tail has a number of light novels and video games that have never seen so much as a fan translation, let alone an official release Stateside. I feel like I'm missing out on some intriguing world-building material and it drives me nuts!

Steins;Gate... Where do I get started (this is time travel, the use of "before" is entirely causal)

the fact that the perfect world line does not have exactly 1.00000% divergence

the fact if is not completely clear where it all originated from, the second season (actually called 0) shows there was something "before" it in the causality, eventually resulting in the video D-mail being sent which helped the previous season finale. But of course there was something "before" that, SERN did know about all the relevant stuff and did their experiments

Finally the implication that it probably originated from 0.00000% divergence, so the Steins;Gate timeline while still truer than all the Attractor Fields timelines is still not THE true timeline

I love NGE but yeah, if I had to change something about that show, it would be making Kaworu show up earlier.

Shinsekai Yori / From the New World:
I understand why the main human characters (except Saki) are a bit underdeveloped given the implications of the setting, but I still wish they had a little more personality and character growth because as they are, it's hard to care about them or sympathize with their side of things. Again, this is kinda the point and the show is supposed to be more about the world itself and the moral dilemmas than the characters, so I kinda get it.

I absolutely needed more of Squealer though. That was the biggest letdown for me considering he's the main antagonist (from the humans' POV anyway) and a really good one at that.

Last edited:
BSD is great, but the cast is like 90% male with three decent female characters; all of the other women in the show are either given inconsequential roles or are reduced to being obsessed with a particular male member of the cast. Higuchi gets the worst of this treatment because literally the only takeaway from her character is "please notice me Akutagawa-senpai". Thankfully it doesn't devolve into fanservice, but still, it would be cool to have some female characters on par with the 50 fricking dudes in the show.

OH BOY :3 immediately i get to talk about beyblade. specifically the original series. there's actually a couple things i could talk about it (for instance how disconnected each season feels from eachother) but i'm just gonna go with the final season just... in general.

i could probably write an entire essay on all the points where they went wrong but the best summary of it i can give is that in general it feels like there's something absolutely rotten seeping from almost every corner. in their attempt to appeal to a more teenaged audience they did everything they could to do away with sincerity and heart, almost. and like. here's the thing. this is BEYBLADE. it is going to be a bit cheesy no matter what. of course, it's not like g-rev tried to be particularly mature either, they dedicated an entire member of the main cast to comedy relief and all those attempts at comedy are at best unfunny and at worst actively unpleasant to watch. that's the best way to describe g-rev, unpleasant. you could not pay me to rewatch this season.

and all of this isn't even getting into the genuinely awful messaging around the end. middle schoolers do NOT need to hear "just work hard actually lol", certainly none who might have found themselves relating to the feeling of suddenly not being able to keep up. and yet here we are, with the final opponent (not technically villain but frankly they portray brooklyn as if he's the devil or something like that anyway) being literally just a gifted kid.

i love this show so much. but god g-revolution was such an absolutely sour note to end on. i think takao and hiromi were literally the only members of the main gang to make it out unscathed and hiromi basically had nothing to lose anyway.

personally, the biggest problem i think neon genesis evangelion had is the... i don't know how to word it other than "lack of nagisa." frankly, it's not like i have a particular attachment to him in either the anime or manga, but the end of his plotline is supposed to be an emotional moment for both shinji and the audience. he was in the anime for a single episode, i just feel like it is very hard to care about him due to how little exposition he was given in the adaptation.
what's something you criticize your favorite series for, or think is something you think they could've handled better? i'd love to hear your thoughts on this!
If we're starting with Evangelion, MY biggest issue is all the stories and accounts of emotional and physical abuse by creator Hideaki Anno. There's an interview that's a little hard to find anymore where the original Japanese voice actor for Asuka talks about how she was literally choked in the recording booth to try and urge a more realistic performance out of her for when her character experiences that same thing on screen. There's also that scene in the hospital where Shinji sexually assaults an unconscious Asuka in the hospital that no one wants to talk about, especially since the context in that scene implies we're supposed to be sympathetic towards Shinji despite that.

they fucked up my boy toilet bound hanako-kun so bad.. although i guess this is my favorite manga, not anime. but i also have nothing bad to say about madoka magica, so here we go.

i really don't like the anime adaptation of tbhk. they make some really baffling decisions regarding the plot. they completely reorder the arcs and cut arcs that are really improtant to the plot. they cut the young exorcist arc, which is one of the best and most important arcs in the manga for kou's character, and instead replaced it with a random chapter completely out of order from everything else. they condense entire 7 chapter long arcs in one single episode. they decided to have the hell of mirrors arc before summer lights or clock keepers, and it's pretty shortly after the mitsuba arc in the anime, so any building of tension about what happened to mitsuba is way less effective. they decided to have the season finale be the little mermaid, which is one of the worst, most inconsequential and anticlimactic arcs in the entire series. the clock keepers would've made so much more sense as a season finale, since it has the biggest twist in the series that sets up the rest of the manga.

Kill la kill not fully explaining things
My key example is when ryuko is forced into junketsu and effectively mind controlled. It's stated that even if ryuko breaks the mind control, taking junketsu off will kill her. She tries to take it off and survives with absolutely no explanation
I know it's a show that doesn't always want to make sense, and it doesn't bother me that much. It's just a something that bothers that wannabe creative writer in me a slight bit.

My Hero Academia and wishing the author made some of the female costumes less sexist
I remember seeing the original design for Momo's hero costume before it got changed to make her "more appealing". Like come on, the motivation behind that is not subtle AT ALL.

1708053095592.png

I remember seeing the original design for Momo's hero costume before it got changed to make her "more appealing". Like come on, the motivation behind that is not subtle AT ALL.

"but but!!! her cleavage and thighs simply must be exposed because she makes the weapons from her skin or something!"
it's like quiet from mgs but underage :bulbaLol:

another thing i don't like about one of my fav anime would be the way jjba handled one of its characters -- there was a literal nazi who dies at one part and we're expected to feel bad for him because he helped out the protagonist a few times and was painted in an ultimately positive light (though the show DID portray that he was a flawed person, at leeeeeast...). sorry man but i'm not gonna shed a tear over someone like that

edit: me when i try to use discord commands on bulba:

Last edited:
Mine's One Piece and the worse thing about it is the pacing. The pace is beyond slow and sometimes downright god-awful no matter how good the storytelling is. It can drive me up the wall sometimes. Also sometimes the fan service can be a bit much.

Mine's One Piece and the worse thing about it is the pacing. The pace is beyond slow and sometimes downright god-awful no matter how good the storytelling is. It can drive me up the wall sometimes. Also sometimes the fan service can be a bit much.
I will only watch OP if the anime gets a remake or something. There's no way JOJO has around the same amount of manga chapters and has 196 episodes at the moment, with two seasons remaining to be adapted. But OP has more than 1000 episodes, i won't just accept that, i can't start to watch the anime, the insane amount of episodes it's quite disencouraging

yuppp to everything everyone’s said about NGE. for a series that wants to handle complex themes about developing sexuality it really does just go about it misogynistically and in a way that trivializes and tends to excuse sexual violence. it also loves to sexualize children for/to the audience.

two things from the show that also stuck out to me:
-character arc having what’s supposed to be this huge emotional scene but it’s basically just Shinji very forcedly telling Rei to smile more.

-so i’ve been listening to Austin Walker and co.‘s analysis and critique of the series on Waypoint Radio and i feel validated that Kaji was always a confusing and unlikable character for me when i watched it when i was younger. because it wasn’t just me who could feel that the show has no clue what to do with him. like in one scene he’s fucking sexually assaulting someone and in another he’s supposed to be a cool guy dispensing (misogynistic) wisdom. or whatever. i agree with Austin Walker that in a better world the show would have done like. a sort of “predators are often charming and well-liked by people” thing but it doesn’t do that.

There’s a lot of dubious implications that will just unfortunately filter out a lot of people from watching it despite the overall message and can just be too long to keep the attention of many. It’s just one of those “acquired taste” anime (Penguindrum), but Ikuhara is quite known for these.

Back
Top Bottom