• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does the future hold for Dawn now that DP is winding down?

What does the future hold for Dawn?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dawn Is going to be the easiest female that the writers have dropped. If it does happen (which I'm almost certain it will)then it will seem pretty natural. I agree Dawn Is on the same level as Ash, they support each other and there's no mentor/mentoring situation this time round, Ash Is mature and so Is Dawn. It's natural if the completely independent Dawn, chooses to go to a different region or travel alone after the GF. It's not like she needs the group for support like May or indicated fully that she didn't want to leave at any point like Misty.

It was better than I'll travel with you until you repay for my bike while putting my dream of being a water pokemon master on hold... Have you ever travelled alone ? I did, not as much fun as when travel in a group.

That was just part of reason,main one was to go pursue her dream of becoming water master as it was showed in "Waterflowers of Cerulean City",several times bringing it up and doing some progress regarding it during the series,though not enough.

It's better than a main girl not having a storyline of her own... like a certain character...

You mean Misty?She had storyline and focus on her ambition of becoming worlds best water trainer,plots like Togepi,aswell contributing in other fields.It just happens that writers didnt focus enough on her with formul of this show being mainly oriented toward Ash and of course one of reasons was lack of experience too.

To be honest your complaining at wrong address.Blame writers if character doesnt receive enough development,not him itself.
Also is it really necessary that you complain constantly about this?

Oh I'm sorry, I meant that she put her dream on hold except for the 5-6 episodes that touched upon that out of her 270+ episodes.

It was definitely more than that.

But this isn't a thread about May or Misty... this is a thread about if and how Dawn would be leaving...

True but than why your bringing her up,comparing her with others?

Agreed!. Although I would like to see May back too. Bringing them both back would please, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do that. Shame :(

Well in redhead case,it would.Afterall she left out of obligation being replace wiuth lot of room left for further development with story being left unfinished in many fields(like goal for which travelling is needed,her backstory,lot of untapped potentil etc).Nevertheless her return would bring dash of fresh air with her great character,aswell something new instead of contests satsfing boh older and younger fans

Well look at misty. She was around for two generations before she became boring.

This is just your opinion.
Many people(including myself)never finded Misty boring.She is amusing character who has great dynamic with others during first 5 seasons and lateron in specials after departure thgrough cameos(which are one of most popular episoides which say something),and while she didnt received same amount of screentime like other girls did,she had many achievements and impressive battles being the first one who opened path for other females aswell making this show popular along with Ash and Brock in first place.

At this point whether Dawn will leave or not people are just repeating themselves.
Ok lets see arguments from both sides.

Arguments for Dawn staying:
-she is by amount of screentime first female equal to Ash(not entirely true,because Ash still receives more).
-she has Piplup which is basically second mascot like Pikachu is.
-as character she received alot more screentime and development than other girls did so she should be kept to continue progress
-there is no point in introducing new female doing contests when Dawn can do this already

Arguments against Dawn staying:
-going by marketing which this show is all about with new generation of games its more likely that writers will use new girl to promote new features than keeping someone older
-going by "pattern" of Misty and May being replaced for advertizing purposes its likely to say that same faith expects Dawn
-considering she received so much development "writers did everything they could with her" so they will probbly replace her.
-writers like to replace girls(mr.Hidaka words)to give new "eye candy" to male audience,
-contests are losing popularity so its likely that some change will happen in that department

Peesonally as i said already,i think its more likely that Dawn will leave like others did but im not denying completely chance of staying either.

From what i noticed many want Misty back(understandable),some May,others want that Dawn stays but i reccomend that people prepare for worst scenario of yet another female from new games collecting ribbons(how unexpected).
Knowing our writers i wont be shocked.

I think what people need to realize here is that it doesn't matter why a character left. All that matters is that they got kicked off the main cast. As far as the writers go, the reason said character left is simply an excuse to give them the boot.

The anime serves to advertise the game, so unless Gen V will let people play as a gym leader, I doubt we'll be seeing Misty back as a main character.

Oh dear lord, did I just get dragged into another Misty discussion? Methinks they should add a filter to this subforum that automatically changes the word Misty to "I NEED TO GET OVER THE PAST ALREADY".

Oh dear lord, did I just get dragged into another Misty discussion? Methinks they should add a filter to this subforum that automatically changes the word Misty to "I NEED TO GET OVER THE PAST ALREADY"

If it bothers you then don't allude to it. You're only going to get Misty fans riled up, and oh, you love you're parents dont you? they brought you up well, want to see them again soon? YOU NEED TO GET OVER THE PAST ALREADY!

It's so ridiculous these Misty discussions are allowed while VA talk is banned
This thread is about Dawn
Dawn is Dawn
Dawn is NOT Misty
Dawn is NOT May
The writers CAN do WHATEVER THEY WANT
The writers are NOT forced to follow any fan made "patterns" and they CAN break all "rules" if they'd like to

This whole thread is ridiculous
There's aboslutely no way to know if Dawn will stay or leave
We don't have any hints to base speculation on
I think we better close this thread and think about making a new one later when we get some kind of hints to base speculation on... like the ep we found out Drew and Harley will go to Johto - that gave us some hints... but Dawn still didn't get any hints for the future, so we're all repeating ourselves again and again trying and failing to convince others in our opinion... and getting into Misty discussions again -_- (well, I guess this IS why Scott made this thread...)

Yeah, let's stay on the topic of the future of Dawn, please.

I did come here to talk about Dawn. If anyone else Is mentioned It's only because it's relevant to my point/opinion about Dawn herself and her situation. I agree lets stay one topic. I don't want to force my opinion onto other people, but people shouldn't freak out the minute a character they don't care for is used in an example that's relevant to the character in topic.

(well, I guess this IS why Scott made this thread...)

Nope, I made this thread because I wanted to see everyones honest opinion. I made the poll choices as unbias as possible, only giving two options because I doubt the writers would choose anything else.

The 5th gen announcement took us all by surprise. I thought DP was going to go on another year myself. Since GameFreak confirmed this new game is a 2010 release, the writers only have the 7 months or so left to wrap up all of DP's plots.

From the looks of things, it seems like the writers want all the new characters to be generation specific. I strongly believe the Paul rivalry is coming to an end for the same reason, especially after the recent Infernape episode.

And honestly, 107 different people voted for the first option, which goes to show you people think its more likely for another new girl and clean slate for Gen V.

I made the poll choices as unbias as possible

Where's the "I'm not sure, it can go either way" option?... I didn't vote because this option isn't there...

From the looks of things, it seems like the writers want all the new characters to be generation specific.

There's absolutely no way to know such a thing

I strongly believe the Paul rivalry is coming to an end for the same reason, especially after the recent Infernape episode.

How exactly the fate of Paul and other rivals is supposed to affect Dawn staying or leaving?
Even if Dawn's rivals all leave, she can get new ones like Ash get new ones after Gary...

And honestly, 107 different people voted for the first option, which goes to show you people think its more likely for another new girl and clean slate for Gen V.

...which is exactly what I said
I already admitted a few times in this thread that it is most likely we'll get Ash/Brock/NewCoordinator... the only difference with me is that I actually believe it's POSSIBLE for something different to happen this time
I'm sure there's at least a LITTLE chance for Dawn to stay, unlike others who act as if it's impossible... when there are actually a few good reasons to keep her which the other girls didn't have (which were all stated in this thread before so let's not repeat that again)
As I said before - we should be open to all possibilities but get prepared for the worst (to each and his own worst case...)

we should be open to all possibilities but get prepared for the worst (to each and his own worst case...)

That's true. The worst case for Dawn fans Is that she will be replaced but from past experiences in the anime (Don't shoot! I'm not going to say the two dreaded m-words)she will still, most likely get cameo appearances in gen V. So either way she's not going to be written off for a while, probably.

Well they already used up Dawn's Platinum clothes, if she gets a cameo in the 5th gen they'll likely make up a new outfit.

Well they already used up Dawn's Platinum clothes, if she gets a cameo in the 5th gen they'll likely make up a new outfit.

That would be nice. We don't get to see Dawn in many different outfits apart from here Contest dress and her regular clothes.

Yes, there's a lot of repetition in Pokemon... Ash is still doing gyms, he still takes pikachu with him, JJM are still trying to capture pikachu with mechas... I suppose we should also get rid of all of them if we follow your logic.

I never said we should get rid of all the repetition. My point was that I didn't think that having a third coordinator was the thing that crossed the line.

Although I will change what I said, because I think having a second coordinator did cross the line. Personally, though, I don't think that having a third coordinator was suddenly bad while having the first two was good.

What was so wrong with having a second girl in a row doing contests ?

We already had a coordinator. Some people think, "Having one coordinator is fine, having two coordinators is fine, having three coordinators is too much." But I think having two coordinators is too much. In my opinion, having a third coordinator doesn't suddenly make contests repetitive and unoriginal. I think we got there already with a second coordinator.

(But now that we have a second coordinator, and now that she's a co-star of the series who's gotten more attention than May, I think she should be the main protagonist girl of the series.)

They haven't replaced the gym badge collector with another gym badge collector, and they haven't replaced the breeder with another breeder. They didn't replace the water Pokemon trainer with another water Pokemon trainer, and they didn't replace the Pokemon watcher with another Pokemon watcher. So I don't think they should have replaced the coordinator with another coordinator.

(But since they did, I hope they don't do it again.)

It's better than a main girl not having a storyline of her own... like a certain character...

Was there even a reason to think the writers would even do that, though? Have a girl that has a big storyline get replaced by one who doesn't? It's not like their only options were either replacing the girl coordinator with another one replacing the girl coordinator with someone who did something less significant.

It didn't feel forced to me (actually, it was probably the least forced out of all the main characters) because Dawn was introduced prior to meeting Ash, the writers had introduce her pokemon and Dawn saved Pikachu from TR and helped keep him safe until he was reunited with Ash. After that, Ash was going to Jubilife, Dawn was going to Jubilife and Pikachu liked her... so they should have done what exactly ? say "Well we're going to the same place, we'll both take the same road and even though you're nice and I like you, let's just not travel together and not talk to one another..." Plus, it's both in Ash and Dawn's character to make friends fast with people and it's been establish that they'd would both travel with others.

They could travel to Jubilife together but that didn't mean they had to travel together afterward. (Actually, now that I think about it, May's coming was forced too, imo.)

Arguments against Dawn staying:
-going by marketing which this show is all about with new generation of games its more likely that writers will use new girl to promote new features than keeping someone older
-going by "pattern" of Misty and May being replaced for advertizing purposes its likely to say that same faith expects Dawn
-considering she received so much development "writers did everything they could with her" so they will probbly replace her.
-writers like to replace girls(mr.Hidaka words)to give new "eye candy" to male audience,
-contests are losing popularity so its likely that some change will happen in that department

Where does this one keep coming from? People keep saying that, but where does it come from?

Where does this one keep coming from? People keep saying that, but where does it come from?

Their minds... They don't like contests anymore, so obviously, they can pretend that the entire fandom agrees with them.

Yeah, I can see why people have gotten tired of Contests after seeing so many of them, but if they really were unpopular they would have done away with them a long time ago.

Contests could have technically been done away with when May left the show, instead they bring them back for Dawn to do.

Gym matches seem to be over and done with faster than contests. It's a very fine line between interesting and boring. Personally I think they're more entertaining than the average gym match though.

Yeah, I can see why people have gotten tired of Contests after seeing so many of them, but if they really were unpopular they would have done away with them a long time ago.

Contests could have technically been done away with when May left the show, instead they bring them back for Dawn to do.

Because they still appeal to a different demographic and the target audience, which none of us the immense majority of us aren't exactly part of.

Because they still appeal to a different demographic and the target audience, which none of us the immense majority of us aren't exactly part of.

Agreed. I think its just the "freshness" or "newness" of Contests that wore off. Back in Hoenn it was the first time we were seeing them and they were different than anything we had seen in the show before.

But now that they've been around for 8 years, the original freshness factor of them wore off. I still enjoy Contests, but if they do get phased out eventually I won't mind as long as the new quest is good.

I think the fact Dawn's character/story/development/rivals are so different than May's + the new ideas they tried in DP's Contests (double performance, ball capsule and seals, I guess dress up might count too?) all made it so the Contests are still "fresh"
At least the Contests had much more changes than the Gym Battles had, which are mostly the same as each other all the time (not to say it's a bad thing, I like the Gyms... but they're even older and more "boring" and "lost their freshness" than Contests...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom