• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite second stage evolution out of the starter lines?

Which is your favorite?

• Ivysaur

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Charmeleon

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Wartortle

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Bayleef

• Quilava

• Croconaw

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Grovyle

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Combusken

• Marshtomp

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Grotle

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Monferno

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Prinplup

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Servine

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Pignite

• Dewott

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Quilladin

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Braixen

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Frogadier

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Dartirx

• Torracat

• Brionne

• Total voters
Pikachu :^)

Sadly not in the list, however :p

My favorites per type do change a lot over time lol, can't settle. At least for Grass and Fire types. This time it's Grotle and Charmeleon for them. My favorite Watery type second stage starter will always be Prinplup though. Just lots of affection for the dumb penguin lol xD

It's always a mix of general feel and design for me.

Kanto: Draw between Ivysaur and Wartortle
Johto: Quilava
Hoenn: Grovyle
Sinnoh: Draw between Prinplup and Grotle, but I lean towards Grotle
Unova: Dewitt
Kalos: Braixen
Alola: Brionne

I generally prefer fully evolved fire starters, but the mid stages vary...

I really like how Braixen looks, especially because Delphox is really creepy-looking in my opinion. I dunno, something about it just strays too close to the uncanny valley.

I also have a fondness for Bayleef because of Colosseum.

I was torn for most part between Pignite, Dewott and Servine while making a choice, as each of them is equally cool, but here goes...

Gen I: Ivysaur
Gen II: Croconaw
Gen III: Combusken
Gen IV: Prinplup
Gen V: Dewott
Gen VI: Quilladin
Gen VII: Torracat

omg they are generally pretty ugly imo so idc bout them. I voted for Ivysaur (the cutest), Braixen and Dewott.

Wartortle was the Pokemon who immediately came to mind. I just adore its fluffy ears and tail, shame it loses them when it evolves.

I also think Ivysaur is really pretty. Shame that its evolution is... kinda ugly (just my personal opinion, no offense to Venusaur users/fans)

Croconaw. It is one of my favourite Pokémon in general, I didn't even evolve mine during my first HG playthrough. It has the perfect balance between looking tough and looking funny.

I'm not a big fan of the mid-stage evolutions of the starters at all for the most part. I feel like most of them just look like they're in that awkward pre-teen, mid-puberty phase.

That being said, my personal favourite is Grovyle. I think it has a truly badass design, being the only starter line of which I like the mid-stage evolution the best. Special mention goes to Frogadier, who just looks awesome, and Charmeleon.

I'm usually not a fan of middle stage starters, but that being said I flipping love Brionne. It's just so damn cute!
I also quite like Grovyle, Prinplup, Combusken, and Quilava.

Last edited:
My first choice is probably Combusken. Prior to Generation 3, I didn't really care for middle stage evolution for the starters. I just saw them as necessary skipping stones to get to the final evolution. But after watching May's Combusken in the anime, as well as picking my own Torchic in Ruby, I suddenly had a favorite.

Equally placed, and very close, runner ups include Dewott, Frogadier, Braixen and Dartrix.

Best second-stage evolution of each region, ranked most favorite to least favorite
1. Combusken
Nostalgia is a pretty big factor, both anime-wise and through the games. May's Combusken was already a major improvement from it's cute but brainless Torchic, and it was pretty exciting seeing it grow under May. My first ever evolution in a game was Combusken, too, and it was an ass kicking chicken before it evolved into Blaziken - it was almost level 35 by the time I was at Flannery
Marshtomp and Grovyle both have their moments too. Brock's Marshtomp was imo one of the most entertaining Pokemon Brock ever had. Grovyle was also my first TCG card I ever remember owning. Both are great starters, too, but I prefer Combusken mainly cuz of Nostalgia
2. Braixen
I, like almost everyone, prefer it over Delphox, because it's a great design for a sub-par Pokemon. Serena's Braixen also adds to its ranking - it was pretty enjoyable watching it in the anime imo. Also, it's the only second-stage evolution of a starter to be in Pokken Tournament, so that's bonus points right there
Frogadier and Quadillin's designs have not grown on me yet, especially Quadillin's.
3. Bayleef
Surprising pick for third for many people maybe, but I liked Bayleef's design. It may not be good in the games, but the anime makes my opinion of this Pokemon improve by a mile. It's by far my favorite of Ash's Pokemon before Gen 4, and it's stubborn antics were imo more cute than annoying
Quilava was also a cute second-stage evo, and Croconaw was a badass Pokemon during my first Johto adventure
4. Brionne
I don't get why people hated it's design. It's a pretty cute design and also did wonders during my Alolan journey. Since Lana's Popplio hasn't evolved yet and we barely got any Brionne screen time, it doesn't really have anything from the anime to back it up
Both Torracat and Dartrix were interesting evolutions. I still haven't got used to them, but they aren't that hated either
5. Ivysaur
I guess playing Pokemon Trainer in Brawl helped Ivysaur a lot. It's too bad Ash's Bulbasaur refused to evolve into Ivysaur, or it would have been a great addition to both Ash's team and Oak's retirement home lab. Game-wise, I used it during both my Kanto journeys, and it was so-so.
I didn't like both Charmeleon or Wartortle's design, but I don't despise them.
6. Dewott
Like Braixen, it was a good evolution before becoming the horribly-designed Samurott. Unlike Braixen, I don't think it has that much of a good design. It didn't help that it was a weak Pokemon in my first Unova playthrough, and since I hated the Black/White anime whelp.....
No explanation for Pignite or Servine. They were terrible

And I'm leaving the Gen 4 starters off this list. Their second-evolutions were all terrible and it was impossible to choose my favorite

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom