• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

Digimon Ghost Game Episode 13: Well, that was an episode now wasn't it? Honestly I really loved the was it did GulusGammamon. The build up was really good, and the actual scene and execution was incredibly effective. The alterations to the evolution sequence were incredibly good at making it all just feel wrong. The gauge dropping to zero instead of filling up, the DNA strands all breaking instead of getting absorbed into Gammamon, who then absorbs the background, and then GulusGammamon bursting forth from a bundle of black fire. Also the buildup across the early series implies that this twisted, sadistic monster is what Gammamon is supposed become. Since both times Chronomon struck him with Chrono Breaker, which accelerates somebody along their own personal timeline, GulusGammamon appeared. So overall I'm loving this development and I'm excited to see where the series is going to go from here.

Started the first episode of The Vampire Dies in No Time. It was okay, though I thought the second half of the episode was a bit better in comedy compared with the first half, Draluc's dying gag got old pretty quick (of course, I should have probably expected that with the series title); if it is a constant in the show then hopefully it doesn't get too tedious, if it's spaced out enough I can deal with it. I do like the dynamic between Draluc and Ronaldo, I look forward to see what else they get up to. Also, John the armadillo is really cute, and I want a plush of him.

I completed season 3 of Golden Kamuy after putting it off for a while to finish other series. Still so good, I need to get around to the manga sometime, but knowing me that'll take a while yet lol. Can't wait for season 4 to air, hopefully this year.

Also got around to watching Zoids Wild Zero after also putting it off for a while. I love this franchise, but sometimes certain series' lengths put me off a bit, but since I now have even more time to catch up I decided to finish the Wild adaptations of the series. It's okay so far, like it's prequel it's enough to satisfy me; though it's no Fuzors, that still has to be my top favorite within the anime.

Now I'm watching a series I very recently got into, it's Utawarerumono. The anime adaptation is based on a series of VN's, which I just got all four of them a few days ago. Anyway, the anime is really good so far, I'm up to episode 4 and I didn't expect to already get hit hard in the feels. The character designs are also very appealing, most of the characters have cute animal ears and tails (except the MC, Hakuoro), with some having wings and even wing ears from what I've seen and looked up. Hakuoro's design is also pretty cool, the mask makes him even more interesting and mysterious, which is the point yes but it's still cool.

Shenmue Episode 1: And so it begins! We start "in media res" with the end of Shenmue 2 and the burning rope ritual thingy in Guilin, with Shenhua narrating the prophecy. A bit of anime original filler showing Ryo's life before the tragedy. Then we cut to the start of the first game and I love how the scene transitions are done in the same text way that the game does it. Interesting that we see Nozomi, Tom and Chai all a bit earlier than before, I would assume that's for pacing reasons and their proper introductions will have been either altered or cut for time. Chai in particular is very interesting as the climactic anime-original end of first episode brawl he has with Ryo completely changes the dynamic of his boss fight when you first meet him in the game which is meant to be unwinnable, whereas this episode had Ryo eventually start keeping up with Chai and getting the upper hand. Side note: the spinning forklifts in the credits sequence had me chuckle, this show will be somewhat self aware I guess.

Overall a strong first start. Can't wait to see more. :bulbaLove:

Shenmue Episode 2: Once again we start the episode in Guilin with Shenhua and seeing how much time is spent there and us actually seeing some of the residents, makes me wonder if we might actually get to cover the events of Shenmue 3 despite the OP only featuring the characters of 1 & 2. Interesting that the anime is really playing fast and loose with the order of operations as investigating the sailors and the letter from Yuanda Zhu have been swapped around, but it has been written competently enough to still feel natural. They definitely made Yamagishi feel more important than he was in the game and him teaching Ryo the Double Blow technique once he had finished his social link was so video game-esque and I loved it - hopefully they add it in during the Bradley boss fight.

Now that we've got the setup from the first episode, the pacing is a bit more relaxed which quells my concerns (for now at least) about rushing to fit it all in 12 episodes. Can't wait for next week~

(Side note: Whoever made that ED really is a Ryo/Nozomi shipper XD).

After finally completing D.Gray-man I started watching the sequel anime Hallow. It's just alright so far, similar with the prequel series in that it's just okay. I might like the manga a bit more but the constant hiatus kind of puts me off somewhat, though I'm used to it by now with series like Loveless and Berserk, so I might start it at some point eventually anyway.

Also catching up with Initial D Fourth Stage. I still prefer the first two series, but it's still good fun all the same at least.

Episodes 8 and 9 of Tsurune. I like this one!
Tsurune almost beats out Prince of Tennis and slightly surpasses Kuroko's Basketball for me in terms of sports anime with great character interaction and actually bringing light to the psychological condition of target panic, something I wish other sports series would do in regards to the latter situation. I'm really excited for the movie that's supposed to come out this year, hopefully it's just as good.

Shenmue Episode 3: Quite a lot of ground got covered this time. Now that the letter has finally been translated, the plot moves onto Act 2 and we're given our proper introduction to Guizhang and Yaowen (Goro also makes a humorous cameo) and seeing Ryo try to sneak into the warehouse gave me 'nam flashbacks to that stealth section of the game and how many tries it took to get right. We got some exposition on what's up with the two mirrors and while it was cool to see Lan Dí speaking in Chinese, it was also kinda immersion breaking since I presume once Ryo gets to Hong Kong everyone is going to be speaking in Japanese. Guizhang gets a real good showing in this episode with not only defeating both Ryo and Chai, but also gets some introspection with his relationship to his father being compared to Ryo's with his.

Overall another good episode, at this rate we'll probably finish Shenmue 1 at around episode 5 or maybe 6 at a push.

Watched episode 1 of Code:Breaker. Finally got around to this one, haven't read the manga yet for this show as well though I hear it's mediocre. So far the first episode was pretty cool, I already really like Sakura as she takes crap from nobody it seems; I really like how she confronts Rei suspecting him of burning people in the park, she sticks with her convictions of him and I like that. Rei himself is also really cool, going to be interesting to see why he needs to "eliminate" Sakura and what happens to her after Rei burned her at the end of the episode. So the second episode is going to be interesting.

I don't really like or understand anime other than Beyblade or the Pokemon anime. They are nostly either Violent or sexual, is that true, please i do not mean hate i am just asking, if i have hurt your feelings i do not meen too
I mean that depends on what genre you're watching, some are indeed violent and sexual, but there's also a lot of tame and child friendly series as well; it's the same with other mediums like film, books/comics, games, etc.

You already mentioned Pokemon and Beyblade, but there's also Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Hamtaro, Tokyo Mew Mew, Happy Happy Clover, Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, any Studio Ghibli movie, or some of Osamu Tezuka's works are good starting points for more tame or kid friendly content. But it's okay if the medium isn't for you, a lot of it can be (and is) strange, and it understandably puts off a lot of people not used to it.

Last edited:
Shenmue Episode 4: It seems we must have a quota of Shenhua screentime per episode, even if that means Ryo having a dream sequence of her (I know that was from the games but still). Since Yaowen won't help Ryo, he must continue on the investigation himself. Thus we finally get to see the Forklift minigame, but sadly no forklift racing. Guizhang follows his heart and decides to teach Ryo the Swallow Kick which gets a climactic use at the end of the episode. We get Goro and Mark's backstories as to why they decided to help Ryo deal with the Mad Angels and it's damsel in distress time as Nozomi is kidnapped by Terry's goons. I did like that instead of the player having to track down Ryo's friend to get him to lend you his motorcycle, Ryo just dropkicks one of Terry's goons off of his and takes it for a ride...I'm saddened he didn't take the clothes and the boots as well. XD

Another good episode. Things are approaching the end of Shenmue 1, presumably we'll get Shenmue 1.5 to pad things out before jumping straight into Shenmue 2.

Rewatched the first few episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion with some friends. This has to be my seventh rewatch at least by now, but I would never pass up the opportunity to watch through my favourite anime again, especially since one of said friends has never seen an episode all the way through before and me and the other friend are total Evaheads; she's getting the most intense viewing experience possible, lol.

Back
Top Bottom