• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your most hated ability/What ability do you think is the most useless?

ShinyRiolu

Lick...Lick...Lick :P
Reaction score
This is my first Thread so if there's one like this, go ahead and lock/delete.
*The title is self-explanatory.
So what is yours? I say Sturdy works under both categories since only a handful of trainers actually use it in-game AND the fact that OHKO moves are basically banned on WiFi (to my understanding).
*if they could expand it to having the same effect as a Focus Sash/Band I would change my mind.

For most hated ability... For me, it's Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, and Flash Fire. D8 Three common types I like to use, and every time in the Battle Tower, one of the three come along to bust my chops. Very annoying when they randomly switch out to make me waste a turn.

Now, useless ability? Run Away. D8 My poor Raticate and Pachirisu were cursed to have this ability. They both should have something better. Like...um, I don't know, Technician and Static respectively?

Raticates DW ability sucks as well. :/ What's the point of power if all of your attacks are just gonna miss anyway?

And Pachirisu's DW ability...oh, the irony. Volt Absorb. 8D; Did not know that until I looked it up just now.

Run Away for sure, lol. It's only good for traveling with a low level pokemon first in your party. At least it's helpful in the field, but it gives you no help at all in battle.
Also water absorb makes it very difficult for a good water pokemon to fight back. It forces you to use a different move other than water to attack with; which takes away the STAB boost. So now every water type has to have more than just water type attacks, even though they probabley should anyway. And yes, volt absorb and flash fire are just as annoying.

Last edited:
Keen eye is pretty useless, especially on birds when they have aerial ace as a stab...

As seid above keen eye and also flame body/poison point/static piss`s em off as every time i hit a mon with one of those with a non spec move they work for them and rare work for me.

Hustle on Togekiss is useless.
Sturdy and Run Away sucks.
Snow Warning is annoying.

Hustle, Run Away, and Klutz are fairly useless.

There are certain previous abilities that were useless, but got a marginal use during battles. Stench this Generation has a flinch chance, and Pickup can pick up berries during battles for consumption. However, Run Away still didn't get the trapping immunity that it needs, so that's the most useless of them.

Sturdy and Run Away sucks.

Run Away, I understand, but Sturdy? You might want to check Sturdy's current effect.

Sturdy now prevents any attack from KOing as long as the user is in full health (stopping at 1HP), like a Focus Sash, but it's reusable in the same battle.

Thanks for reading.

There are certain previous abilities that were useless, but got a marginal use during battles. Stench this Generation has a flinch chance, and Pickup can pick up berries during battles for consumption. However, Run Away still didn't get the trapping immunity that it needs, so that's the most useless of them.

Run Away, I understand, but Sturdy? You might want to check Sturdy's current effect.

Sturdy now prevents any attack from KOing as long as the user is in full health (stopping at 1HP), like a Focus Sash, but it's reusable in the same battle.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info :)

Not the ability in general but Levitate on Spin Rotom who is now Electric flying is the epitome of fail.

Runaway and Keeneye are worthless too.

Keen Eye is useful if you plan on using anything other than Aerial Ace.

Run Away is pretty much useless.
Magnet Pull is very situational and thus unreliable.
Honey Gather is completely useless, since honey is very cheap in the game where you'd use it.

Also, any ability that is intentionally crippling (i.e. Truant, Slow Start)

Thanks for reading.

I had no idea either! Aw! Now my argument is invalid...:nono::mallet:

Stench. It's a weak repellant, nothing more. They could at least give it some in-battle effect.

STATIC! I forgot about that one. D8< When I punch a stupid Electabuzz in the face, I don't want to be paralyzed too, you punk!
On that note, Flame Body as well. And screw you, Poison Point. They always happen to activate at the worst possible moments...
Thank goodness there's no "Freeze Body"...

STATIC! I forgot about that one. D8< When I punch a stupid Electabuzz in the face, I don't want to be paralyzed too, you punk!
On that note, Flame Body as well. And screw you, Poison Point. They always happen to activate at the worst possible moments...
Thank goodness there's no "Freeze Body"...

Or "Sleep Body"...

And Levitate, not because of the ability itself, but because I never know who has it...
I was using my hardly trained (ie Lv. 28-65) Magnezone vs. Bertha on my Platinum Nuzlocke Run...
Not knowing that Magnezone can't have Levitate...
And then...
BAM!
Some ground move (STAB, 400% which means 600% of base power attack)...
DEANNA the Magnezone Died!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom