• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Ship has the best chance of becoming canon?

The ship that has the best chance of becoming canon
1)Pokeshipping (Ash and Misty
2) Rocketshipping, Jesse and James
3)Contestshipping, May and Drew
4)Eldershipping, Mrs Ketchem and Professor Oak

I'll have to go with both Contest- as well as Penguinshipping, and maybe also Rocketshipping.

May and Drew definitely had their moments, and they gave me the impression throughout the whole AG saga that they cared deeply about each other. I can definitely see something happen between those two in Johto.

As for Penguinshipping... Well, Dawn did in Kenny's last episode state that she thought that he looked handsome, and she kinda flirted with him a couple of times throughout the saga, which even had him blush. That letter she gave him after that she had neglected his offer of coming with him convinced me that the shipping wasn't just one-sided. Now, I don't really like neither one of the characters, but I could definitely see it happening.

Melodicshipping (Ash x meloetta). He loves only pokemon, after all. XP

Contestshipping - it's the closest to canon the series has ever gotten, as people have already said. Rocketshipping too.

i must be in a minority as don't think contestshipping is the most likley to become canon.I have some serious doubts over drew.Rocketshipping i'll agree with.1shipping i think has a decent chance of canon would be something like lagomorphshipping but that would be in the future.

None, but I'll state the shippings I do see as being most likely:

Contestshipping (It's canon they like each other, but whether they become a couple or not is questionable).
Rocketshipping (they're pretty much already together)

I see any Ash shipping likely, not as much as the two above, but I feel that each has their own respective chance against each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contestshipping I think will be the one to be canon along with Rocketshipping! And if anime ends, or Ash story arc will end, I think they'll end with current Ash shipping, which sucks for my Pokeshipping self. I kinda wanna see Palletshipping turn up though and see how the audience reacts :p

Curious to revive this discussion before XY closes for obvious reasons...

Well depending on how Serena's goodbye episode goes, it'll likely be left open ended for shippers to speculate till the end of time, similar to the way Pokeshipping was handled in Misty's last episode. Serena's not going to ever magically stop liking Ash, so most likely she'll make a promise to meet with him again in the future. Serena might get a bit better closure than Misty did, if only because the writers actually made her crush such a big deal and made so many episodes over it, so who knows.

As for past characters, at this point its rather obvious Misty/May/Dawn, etc. will probably never appear again. Old character cameos are seemingly over, so whatever ships you liked for the first 3 girls will likely remain as they've been now. Although May/Drew and Dawn/Zoey seem to be likely candidates off-screen.

Dawn/Zoey seem to be likely candidates off-screen.
Since the discussion at hand is canon, unless I've missed some exciting new development on tolerance during BW, I really don't think this was the couple TPTB were expecting us to assume "wins".

Is there a shipping for Brock and Nurse Joy? Since he's now looking into becoming a Pokemon doctor (if memory serves me right), I think there's a greater chance he may end up with at least one.

Eldershipping - It just makes sense to me. Delia and Oak seem to have a good friendship that could overlap, or perhaps has been overlapping.

Also Amourshipping, as long as they keep fleshing a story between Ash and Serena.

None of the Ash ones, that's for sure. RocketShipping has a chance I reckon, and Brock with Joy too

Since the discussion at hand is canon, unless I've missed some exciting new development on tolerance during BW, I really don't think this was the couple TPTB were expecting us to assume "wins".

Well as you know at the end of DP, Dawn rejected Kenny. Pearl was always mostly just friendship based, and Dawn never cared about Paul, Conway or anyone else.

Dawn/Zoey had their moments throughout DP but it was sublte (Dawn does blush over Zoey at least twice, once in the first episode they meet, and then a later episode where Zoey is combing Dawn's hair), and the two promised to continue competing against each other in contests off-screen....similar to what they did with May/Drew. The writers likely just had to keep the ship subtle because it was a same sex pairing, and couldn't be as blatant as they were with Contestshipping or Amourshipping now.

Overall it won't be canon because nothing in pokemon is canon, but it can be implied off-screen similar to other ships.

The only ship I could see becoming cannon is Rocketshipping, and if it does, I hope it's at the end of the series. The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga ended great for Jessie and James, and I want to see similar if the anime ends.

There is one other ship that might be possible, and I can't believe I'm saying it because I'm a real Pokeshipper. Ash and Misty FTW. Anyway, I think if we see any of the older characters again, and they end up getting together with someone, I think it might be Tracey and Misty. Now I don't remember the Orange League all too well. But I do remember that these two were pretty close, and Tracey even ended up giving his Marill's little baby Azurill egg. Also at the end of the Unova series when Ash goes back to Kanto to see his mom and Professor Oak, Tracey isn't there. Professor Oak says he is with Misty at the Cerulean gym. If any of Ash's companions found love, I think it would be these two... even though I prefer Pokeshipping.

But Manon is a little baby?
She's at least ten by anime standards. She even said in the first Mega Evolution episode that Alain was her 'type', as in the kind of guy she'd have a crush on. Granted, their relationship is more platonic than romantic, but they certainly do have an interesting chemistry and they do care about each other a lot.

Also spoiler for the recent 1 hour special
Manon blushed when she heard Alain promise he'd bring back Chespie. It's probably due to emotion overload, but she certainly has a lot of positive feelings for him.

I'd say ValleyShipping but that one's practically canon already. It's too bad that Charizard's permanent return to Ash appears to have quashed it.

At this point nothing. Since Serena is leaving and Amour didn't go anywhere.

Pokeshipping has been irrelevant for like 14 years, (in canon, of course the fans can ship it as much as they want), with Takeshi Shudo even admitting he didn't like Misty or the ship, and it doesn't seem like any of the other writers of the show cared much either. Of course Misty hasn't appeared in an episode since 2005 anyway (which is now 11 years and 4 generations ago in mid-AG), so its not like anything will change in that front.

I always thought it was especially noticeable the writers didn't bother giving Misty a cameo in DP, which was technically the last time I could have seen Misty appearing. DP was when the writers still brought back old characters and there was a lot of continuity in the show, but aside from a brief appearance of the lure, Misty didn't appear at all in any of the episodes. The writers gave both May and Gary comebacks in DP, in addition to some other characters, but Misty was the only major character completely ignored at the time. Its like even back when DP was airing the writers didn't want anything to do with Misty so they just briefly mentioned her but that's it. Its kind of funny because I remember some people spent the entire span DP was airing from 2006-2010 thinking Misty would appear and she never did. It still amuses me greatly to this day.

Anyhoo, I guess that's that? No Ash ships will ever happen, and I can't see any others either. The show is designed to run forever. I kind of feel sorry for fans of the oldest ships (pokeshipping, rocketshipping) that spent 20 years hoping for some type of conclusion that we'll probably never get. But I guess all the OS characters got royally screwed over in some way or another over the course of the show.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom