• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who would win in these battles: the three girls

How come we don't see any threads about Ash's male companions and how well they would do in battle...

Oh right, Max doesn't have Pokémon.

On the actual topic... I'd say it would be pretty even by now, but it greatly depends on who is being used since experience is important.

But Psyduck and Skitty have Dues Ex Machina abuse on their sides.

Because none of them battle?

Brock does, sort of.

But he would lose anyway. Brock thinks in rules and logic, which don't work in Pokemon.

Winning a Pokemon battle is about how hard you can yell "DODGE THAT ATTACK" at your Pokemon, and "COME ON YOU CAN DO IT" when it's about to faint.

Misty would definitely have the advantage over both girls, considering her extra experience, and the fact that she's now getting tougher as a gym leader. I think May would have an advantage over Dawn's Pokemon, because she also has more battling experience, as well as higher evolutionary Pokemon.

Misty Vs Dawn (Misty would win)

Misty Vs May (Misty would most likely win, but May could pull it off too)

May Vs Dawn (Close competition, but May would get the win)

Well, yeah, but you also brought up the Grand Festival. The series makes a pretty good case for Hikari being much more skilled at Contest battling than Haruka is.

Not necessarily, as people have pointed out, Dawn's rivals aren't nearly as tough as May's were. I think it's just because the odds are in her favor, and that monster Togekiss will help.

People say Misty could win due to her Gym Leader experience...they forget she's the second Gym Leader in Kanto, and is nearly as much a fucking joke as Brock is.

People say Misty could win due to her Gym Leader experience...they forget she's the second Gym Leader in Kanto, and is nearly as much a fucking joke as Brock is.

While being gym leader isnt some unbeatable elite trainer,it isnt exactly easy pickin either.Its not only gym,but her displaying skills she showed while travelling.

She managed to win whole Princess Festival,which was viewed as strong competition using pokemon from Ash.You could argue how that happened because she didnt used hers,but on other hand not every trainer is capable of controlling other pokemon using them in battle,aswell having knowleadge of their attacks and what strategy to use.

Theres also her win with Poliwhirl over Poliwrath)which is evolved form),not being easy task to do,coming among top 8 in prestigue water tournament like Whirl cup,displaying impressive skills against spencer daughter Molly Hale in third pokemon movie where her Staryu was even with Mantine which was strongher than normal one because of Unown power etc.
Theres also fact that when Ash met her,she wasnt complete newbie having in end more experience in battling than May or Dawn have,training more(off screen counts too).

Now,noone said how May or Dawn wouldnt have chance in regular pokemon battle,but to be fair Misty is more experienced in regular battles while Dawn and May are more experienced in contests which follow different principle not being same.

In contest field,May and Dawn would have bigger edge over Misty,but in regural battles to be fair things would be little different.

Last edited:

...and you forget the entire "order" and "difficulty" of the gym leaders is just a gameplay element, and has nothing to do with a discussion of the anime.

There should have been a poll about this. I would also say Misty just like most of another people here. Misty's Gyarados can pawn May's whole team and if Venusaur try to block its way then Flamethrower. When it comes to Dawn her to possible choices would be Mamoswine and Togekiss. Again Misty can go with Gyarados who can beat Mamoswine closely due to speed and Togekiss cause it can be a tank too. But either way if Psyduck comes into play even the toughest would lose at least one of their Pokemon.

...since when are water types the most versatile? That is just bull. Normal types are the most versatile, considering the fact that they can pretty much learn moves of every type.

Theres also fact that when Ash met her,she wasnt complete newbie having in end more experience in battling than May or Dawn have,training more(off screen counts too).
No. No it doesn't. If Misty is never shown to be training then the general assumption is, that she never trained while she was travelling with Ash. If there were one line references to her actually training, it would count but there were no references whatsoever so it doesn't count at all.

I'm going to go with a three way tie. May, Misty and Dawn all have strengths and weaknesses that can be exploited by each other. Coordinators being weaker, my ass - May fought like Ash with knockouts most of the time and Dawn has participated in quite a few normal battles herself and has been shown to be able to hold her own and she trains with Ash. Just because Misty's a gym leader doesn't mean she's the best. Though, Dawn might lose because she doesn't have the DEMs May and Misty have. Anyway, it really comes down to the writer and what reason would these girls have to battle each other?

Dawn and May, I can understand but they don't have a reason to battle Misty and Misty doesn't have a reason to battle with them since they don't collect badges.

Last edited:
If these were full battles it be hard to say honestly. I don't recall Dawn, Misty, or May ever doing full battles. For May, and Dawn it be a totally different experience since there is no time limit or points. It all comes down to how powerful your Pokemon are, how well you use them, and how much endurance they have. I would honestly place Dawn as the weakest straight up battler, but a superior coordinator.

...since when are water types the most versatile? That is just bull. Normal types are the most versatile, considering the fact that they can pretty much learn moves of every type.

True normal ones leads,but water type is second most versatile type after them,being the most widespreaded one and capable to adjust to every situation.For example many of them are amphibious being capable of being both in water and outside of it,while some developed flying abillities too.

There is also the fact that water type is second in number of having dual types(first is flying),being faired with almost every type of them.

No. No it doesn't. If Misty is never shown to be training then the general assumption is, that she never trained while she was travelling with Ash. If there were one line references to her actually training, it would count but there were no references whatsoever so it doesn't count at all.

As a matter of fact there were some refrences.One of the top of my heads was in episode "Octillery the Outcast",where Misty said how she still didnt find time to train her newly caught Corsola yet,so she asked to battle that kid with Remoraid instead of Ash.Im sure there were oher references but cant exactly provide in which episodes since ill need to check.
There is also episode with Marins from OI,who compimented eiuther Mistys Goldeen or Staryu,pointing she did good job with it(training it well).

Also speaking of asumptions,this can go either way with assumption also being that just because it wasnt mentioned,doesnt mean she nver trained her pokemon off screen.Otherwise they wouldnt be able to b better as time went on,or learn new tehnicques.

Also are you seriously gonna argue over this?Its pretty clear that compared to Dawn or May,when Ash met her Misty wasnt complete beginner,already having three pokemon with her knowing something about battling.
We are dealing with facts here,not assumptions.

Last edited:
Dawn has the power of being the current advertising product, at least until September anyway.

So going by that logic, Dawn would win and everyone would remain unsatisfied.

@pkmnfan132:
...they're still not the most versatile types then. Weedle was claiming that water types are the most versatile - I was just pointing out that they weren't. All types are strong if you put them in their element. And a lot of the dual water typings give them a 4x weakness against grass or electricity. And just as there are water pokemon who are also land dwellers...you've got pokemon like Goldeen and Horsea who need water.

Alright, I stand corrected on the 'no references to her training' but that still doesn't mean she's training all the time. And no, I'm not trying to say Misty wasn't an experienced trainer HOWEVER to say that Misty is training all the time is pushing it when we get one or two refernces out of what...the 247 episodes she was actually in? It's easier to see Dawn training a lot. May? Not so much. Besides, as many of the characters on the show prove experience isn't everything.

Aaand thinking through this question more thoroughly - I don't think any of the girls would be very good at full battles but yes, Dawn would be the weakest at that. However, if it comes to double battles, Dawn will be the toughest to beat. She's good with her combinations.

There's also other factors to consider - where is this battle taking place? If it's in a water arena, Misty's got the advantage though both girls do have their water types. But if it's out of a water arena and somewhere far away from a body of water, Misty will find herself limited to the number of pokemon she can use.

Last edited:
@pkmnfan132:
...they're still not the most versatile types then. Weedle was claiming that water types are the most versatile - I was just pointing out that they weren't. All types are strong if you put them in their element. And a lot of the dual water typings give them a 4x weakness against grass or electricity. And just as there are water pokemon who are also land dwellers...you've got pokemon like Goldeen and Horsea who need water.

Its true that Normal type is versatile but they still aren't the most versatile. If you have heard about Kingdra, Gyarados and Starmie then you will see versatility compared to Blissey. Thats why there are so many Bulky water in OU compared to two stalls that are Blissey and Snorlax.

I have to say May would win. Yes, i'm being completely biased here

Reasons why?

Easy.

Look at May's team:

Venusaur
Blaziken
Wartortle
Beautifly
Munchlax
Glaceon
Skitty

Then Misty's:

Dewgong
Gyarados
Goldeen
Staryu
Starmie
Horsea
Psyduck
Politoad
Corsola
Luvdisc
Azurill

Now Dawn:

Mamoswine
Togekiss
Buneary
Piplup
Pachirisu
Cyndaquil

--

Ok. Lets see the type Divison:

May: Grass, Bug, Normal x 2, Fire, Ice.
Misty: Water x 11.
Dawn: Fire, Normal x 3, Water, Electric.

May has the biggest spread of types, giving a range of different attacks. She would be able to have upper hand in all terrains, opposed to Misty. So far, just with her Venusaur, she's able to knock out several pokemon with type advantage and power. Almost all of her Pokemon have been evolved, 5/7 to be precise. Look at Misty's (4/11) then Dawn (2/6). It seems that May has actually trained her Pokemon properly. I mean, her Bulbasaur evolved 2 stages in 75 episodes. Pretty impressive if you ask me, considering that fully evolved Pokemon are rare with the girls.

Contests are no walk in the park either. You are trying to incorporate beauty into power. That would take a lot of training.

-stands in the corner awkwardly-

When I say versatile, I mean all normal types can have a wide range of moves - only specific water types can do that as well

Contests are no walk in the park either. You are trying to incorporate beauty into power. That would take a lot of training.

Actually, I agree with this. Just because May and Dawn are coordinators doesn't mean they do any less training or are any weaker than trainers. When you've judges like Nurse Joy up there who will be able to tell a weak pokemon from strong with a single glance, a coordinator's pokemon needs to be as strong as it is beautiful.

Misty for Misty vs. May and Misty vs. Dawn, and then May for May vs. Dawn (it really hurt me to say that one; i despise May).

I have to say May would win. Yes, i'm being completely biased here

Reasons why?

Easy.

Look at May's team:

Venusaur
Blaziken
Wartortle
Beautifly
Munchlax
Glaceon
Skitty

Then Misty's:

Dewgong
Gyarados
Goldeen
Staryu
Starmie
Horsea
Psyduck
Politoad
Corsola
Luvdisc
Azurill

Now Dawn:

Mamoswine
Togekiss
Buneary
Piplup
Pachirisu
Cyndaquil

--

Ok. Lets see the type Divison:

May: Grass, Bug, Normal x 2, Fire, Ice.
Misty: Water x 11.
Dawn: Fire, Normal x 3, Water, Electric.

May has the biggest spread of types, giving a range of different attacks. She would be able to have upper hand in all terrains, opposed to Misty. So far, just with her Venusaur, she's able to knock out several pokemon with type advantage and power. Almost all of her Pokemon have been evolved, 5/7 to be precise. Look at Misty's (4/11) then Dawn (2/6). It seems that May has actually trained her Pokemon properly. I mean, her Bulbasaur evolved 2 stages in 75 episodes. Pretty impressive if you ask me, considering that fully evolved Pokemon are rare with the girls.

-stands in the corner awkwardly-

Dawn also has a Ice/ground type in Mamoswine so that's water, electric, fire, two normal's, and a Ice/Ground type coverage for Dawn to have.

Dawn also has a Ice/ground type in Mamoswine so that's water, electric, fire, two normal's, and a Ice/Ground type coverage for Dawn to have.

Ah, I see, my apologies. Though, even with the ice/ground duo, it proves even more of a disadvantage, since it succumbs to both sides weakness

Edit: And Blaziken is a duo Fire/Fighting type...I really need to edit that :p

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom