• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Manga Why is Anime more Popular than Manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime is more accessible. I would read more manga if I could find a shorter series, or somewhere to read online.

Some Anime can be better then the manga (looking at you Code Geass!) but I usually read the manga since I was able to read all of Naruto and Bleach and that took me a lot less time then the anime would have done plus I can access manga at college and the story can be better or worse and I can take the manga with me when I'm out.

It honestly depends what you read or what you watch or if it fits your lifestyle.

Some Anime can be better then the manga (looking at you Code Geass!) but I usually read the manga since I was able to read all of Naruto and Bleach and that took me a lot less time then the anime would have done plus I can access manga at college and the story can be better or worse and I can take the manga with me when I'm out.

It honestly depends what you read or what you watch or if it fits your lifestyle.

Considering how anime is generally more popular, it could mean that the anime fits the lifestyle of more people since it has qualities people find more convenient, especially when it comes to accessibility and the experience.

Thanks for reading.

In my experience anime has brought the series to life better than the manga does. This isn't always the case of course, but giving the series actors and other things help the series. Action scenes are often much better in anime for many shonen series as well.

Well to me anime is more accessible than manga because it generally is that for example: I just sit in a couch watching anime on the middle of the night or on DVD while trying to find a manga or store that sells them is more hard while just sitting in a couch watching Inuyasha late at night is really easy. But if my example was hard to understand I will try to explain it better it generally is because many people are lazy, or that you must buy manga versus watching anime on your cable television which is almost free, almost.
I should also say this but I don't read manga not because I don't like it but it is because it's more easier watching the anime adaptation.

The same reason why people go nuts over bad anime adaptations of good visual novels: it's more accessible, and the broader audience don't even know the source material exists or have no idea how to obtain them. The really hardcore fans are the ones that follow manga scans and anime episodes online right after they air in Japan, while the casual fans are probably watching episodes of individual series on Toonami or something (there are fans that are hardcore enough to buy local releases of anime without trying them out for free first - and for me, a person who lives on a budget, I don't think that's the smartest thing to do, and in those cases, they probably buy manga as well anyway).

No medium is really more "superior" than the other, really. They all have strengths and weaknesses in individual aspects. With animation, you get visual expression, movement, voices (which can fall apart with miscasting), and audio presentation. For manga, you get visual expression, thoughtful placement/sizes of panels to simulate movement and progression to the viewer's eye, and the advantage of going at your own pace and using your imagination to put your own voices onto certain characters. With visual novels, you get visual expression, lack of anime studio/manga serialization bullshit (anime and manga usually get the axe or have limited episodes depending on popularity), audio presentation, voices (depends), and the advantage of going at your own pace as well (applies for all, but for the ones with voices, some people don't skip over that in favor of just reading). And light novels are what you generally expect from the advantages of...well, novels - the way good writing generally gets people immersed through good use of words alone, with occasional illustrations (if your book seems to desperately NEED an animated/live action adaptation in order for your intentions to work, chances are you're a bad novel writer lol). Saying "oh, who bothers with reading" (consider where you are; you're reading my wall of text) or "man, all anime sucks because blah blah" all seem rather ignorant to me. Limited reading ability is a valid excuse for preference but not as a valid excuse to talk down on reading altogether. And some people prefer stories with sound because they're visually impaired. No medium is better than the other - it all depends on how the narrative is designed and how it's executed around that particular medium. Series like Little Busters! works way better as a visual novel than an anime, for instance. Then we have things like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which works really good as a manga and an anime, and Miyazaki's various films that I can't imagine as anything other than animation. I love the Mushishi anime. I also prefer reading classic novels like Lolita to watching Michael Bay-esque films. Whatever.

But in terms of adaptation, they either tend to be really faithful or just really shoddy. In the case of the latter, sometimes it feels like you just missed on the story and characters at their fullest potential for really no good reason. For me, I try out all depictions of one work that I can, and if I'm aware, I usually try my best to watch/read the source material as my primary access to the story. There are rare cases like Cardcaptor Sakura where I love the shit out of the source material AND the anime adaptation despite the latter being really different (CLAMP, the original authors, were overseeing the anime production which meant all the soul and loveable-ness was retained), but then we have cases like Yuugiou, where I love the source material but hate the anime adaptations(s) because the original intentions were quite (excuse my language) crapped all over and any coherency and/or sense from the manga were lost in the process. The music (Toei's Ashita Moshi Kimi Ga Kowaretemo ED and NAS/Studio Gallop's overall soundtrack for the second adaptation) was good though, and since manga as a medium lacks music, I just listen to the OST while reading the manga.

Overall, the popularity of anime versus manga seems more like an accessibility/lack of knowledge thing than an echo of both of the medium's qualities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom