• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will HG/SS be a bust?

Will HG/SS be a bust

• Yes

Votes: 22 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 211 90.6%

• Total voters

Pokegasm

Sexual.
Reaction score
All over the world people are discussing HG/SS and expecting huge things. But has it ever occured to you that it will not be as good as expected? I believe it will be a very popular game at first, and then slowly become unpopular and fade.

Not only do I not think they'll be a bust, I think they're going to bring back a bunch of old fans of the franchise who stopped playing after the original GenII.

I don't get what the point is to posting this thread after the Japanese versions of the games have been out for months now. Thanks to sites like Bulbapedia and Serebii, we pretty much know everything about these games already, and all signs point to them be excellent.

It might be hard to follow, but I'll say it anyway.

Gen2 is my favorite generation. gold and silver just had that certain "something" that made the game feel great. It might have been all of the hidden secrets, all of the different characters, the great story, I'm not sure. Probably the biggest thing for me is the fact that you could go into kanto and visit everywhere again and face all of the gym leaders with updated pokemon. It might have been the music.

I just don't know. It might be a combination of all the stuff mentioned.

What i'm trying to drive at is HG/SS needs to have that certain... "something" I mentioned earlier. That "something" makes the game feel right and almost like home.

We don't know why gen2 is good... it just is.

On the other hand, I went through the gold version blindly. (no guides, cheats, hacks, anything). It might have been the surprise from doing that.

I should research this... If anyone can elaborate on what I said, please feel free.

Just to make a point...when DP came out it was supposed to be a HUGE deal because of new pokemon and everything. And, well, it didnt turn out the way we expected it to be. I think some people think too highly of upcoming games...

It will give us exactly what we expect. I don't really understand how it could be a "bust."

Just to make a point...when DP came out it was supposed to be a HUGE deal because of new pokemon and everything. And, well, it didnt turn out the way we expected it to be. I think some people think too highly of upcoming games...

But...They're not really "upcoming," they just haven't been translated into English yet. They're out, and we already know all of the content in the games and all that, and they've done very well in the Japanese market... I don't get why you think they could be a bust at this point, unless you haven't bothered to check any of the other stuff so far.

I've played it in Japanese, and it's one of my favorite games without readable text. They don't radically change too much, and they're remakes of some of the most beloved games. There's really no way they'll be a bust.

But...They're not really "upcoming," they just haven't been translated into English yet. They're out, and we already know all of the content in the games and all that, and they've done very well in the Japanese market... I don't get why you think they could be a bust at this point, unless you haven't bothered to check any of the other stuff so far.

I do say, I have not looked into it too deeply, but I am not talking about present, but will it turn out to be a bust in the future

I've played it in Japanese, and it's one of my favorite games without readable text. They don't radically change too much, and they're remakes of some of the most beloved games. There's really no way they'll be a bust.

True.

Considering its already out, this topic is pretty pointless :/

The only surprise would be if the North American HgSs also had gambling removed.

Considering its already out, this topic is pretty pointless :/

The only surprise would be if the North American HgSs also had gambling removed.

I am obviously not explaining myself enough.

Im talking about when it gets released in the USA

You should give a reason why other then just constantly saying they will.

Ok so we look back at the date in which we discovered 4th gen... we were so psyched and expected a day bigger than a holiday. And within 3 months into the release date of DP in the USA, it began to loose popularity. And we were alot more psyched at first about 4th gen than a 2nd gen remake, and I think it will die quicker if we are not as exicted.

Hell no. It's remakes of arguably the most popular pokemon games in history. Why the hell would it be a bust. Was FRLG a bust? No. Not by anyone's standards. Okay sure it wasn't quite the same almost ten years later when we were used to more complexity and story and whatnot, but it was still fun.

HGSS has enough going for it that it will be sure to be sell as much as any other gen IV game and quite probably surpass them.

While I havn't got too far along in the game (just beat Morty), I have to say that they have lived up to my expectations. There is a decent blend of original and new concepts. The gym leader's actual teams may not have changed much but their new tactics make them a lot harder to defeat which in my view is bloody fantastic.
My only complaint would be the friendly rival type. I don't like seeing a Maril bounce around for a minute or two.
So altogether, I don't think they will be a bust.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom