• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Witchhunt -- GAME OVER: MAFIA WIN 12/15/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Witchhunt - DAY 1 - 11/11/12

@Phoenicks I would just like to point out that your flavor text was being read in my head by that guy who offers you all the hypothetical questions at the beginning of Morrowind to choose your Class. :XD:

"...Now, what will you do?"

*ahem*

Anyway, @Aelita "doesn't like jokers." Why? Too hard for you and your scum-buddies to get a read on them?

It's a coin flip. XD You've been mafia half the time. XDD

If you're going to assume that half = most likely, then Rio has also been town half of the time, so that must mean she's most likely town.

Anyway, @Aelita "doesn't like jokers." Why? Too hard for you and your scum-buddies to get a read on them?

Why would "scum-buddies" need a read on anyone? The only thing mafia are concerned about is finding the power roles - they don't need to get a town/mafia read since they already know the who's mafia and who isn't. And I will reiterate the point I've made many times before in previous games: MAFIA IS NOT FOR JOKING, and as Aelita said, ESPECIALLY not in this game. We won't have any relevant information straight away from lynches in this game, and the only kill information we'll get is who died.

Joking is, at most, scummy. It is not pro-town in any way, shape or form, because it's irrelevant and clogs up the game. So, why you would even WANT to joke is beyond me. If you're not having fun from playing the actual game, then that doesn't mean you need to start ruining it for others to have fun.

I am literally ending this discussion here, because I just cannot see how you can willingly support joking in a mafia game.

This is poor reasoning and false accusation. Especially in a game where we don't even know alignment or role of the person that died. It's very hard to get readings on any roles or alignments right at the beginning, and this game is not for joking around like that.

I'm glad I got into this game, I'm a big fan of burning witches. Now then, before I get started I have one question.

You see Phoenicks shouting "We finally got one!" You edge closer to find out who. There, tied to a stake:

"It's not me!" Light Bringer cries. "I didn't kill Feralize; he did!" She points at you.

How did Light Bringer point if she was tied up?

Okay, I will start this game with some light math then. Since we have 22 players and 5 mafia, that means we get 6 mislynches. Also, in addition to the five mafia players there are 2 serial killers, making the ratio of people who it would be beneficial to lynch to innocents 7:22, or just slightly less than a 1/3 chance that the lynch will be beneficial. That's not the best odds, but definitely not the worst.

Howevskies, we were given a few advantages when it comes to night kills. Not only do we have a doctor, but we also have a bulletproof, a guardian angel, a bomb, a survivor, and although the wolf is not aligned with the town, attempting to night kill him or her will result in a wasted night kill for the mafia. Therefore, I believe we may end up getting more than 6 mislynches.

Basically my purpose for making this post is to point out that whether you should lynch or not on day one is not a definite thing, and it depends highly on the cirumustances of the game. In the case of this game, I think we should try to lynch on day 1. Anyone have any opposing logicombat?

I am literally ending this discussion here, because I just cannot see how you can willingly support joking in a mafia game.
And here I thought you were figuratively ending it.

Like it or not, that joke vote everyone is having a fit over facilitated a substantial discussion - and since you find jokes, "scummy," it sounds like you got a read out of it, as well. And dismissing someone's play-style as, "irrelevant and clogging up the game?" They may be fishing for reactions, yours was predictable, of course, but they may have learned something from someone else's.

Don't dismiss someone's play-style just because it's harder for you to get reads from it, we aren't going to all adopt your style just to help you.

@TheMissingno. So... the purpose of that whole post was to point out that it might be better to lynch, but maybe not? :XD:

@TheMissingno. So... the purpose of that whole post was to point out that it might be better to lynch, but maybe not? :XD:

The purpose of my post was to argue that it would better to lynch, as I said. Now are you going to use some logicombat or are you just going to keep intentionally misinterpreting my posts?

The purpose of my post was to argue that it would better to lynch, as I said. Now are you going to use some logicombat or are you just going to keep intentionally misinterpreting my posts?
We should definitely lynch. If the numbers end up playing against us later we can no lynch later, but if we no lynch now and find out we shouldn't have there's no undoing that (without no lynching again, which would be ill-advised).

Okay, I'm glad we agree. Now what needs to happen is more people need to start participating because this is a very large game and we need 12 votes for a majority.

Don't be scared people, make some posts. It's just a game.

And here I thought you were figuratively ending it.

And here I thought my point was clear, but obviously not.

Like it or not, that joke vote everyone is having a fit over facilitated a substantial discussion - and since you find jokes, "scummy," it sounds like you got a read out of it, as well. And dismissing someone's play-style as, "irrelevant and clogging up the game?" They may be fishing for reactions, yours was predictable, of course, but they may have learned something from someone else's.

Don't dismiss someone's play-style just because it's harder for you to get reads from it, we aren't going to all adopt your style just to help you.

I personally find them scummy, but apparently the entirety of BMGf doesn't agree and I get suspected whenever I say they are. The problem I have is that because BMGf don't find them scummy, they do it willy-nilly, and that makes scumhunting harder (not just for me, for everyone).

Don't pull the playstyle card unless you want to not have an ounce of credibility in this discussion. Joking is not a playstyle. Joke votes do not constitute reaction testing. Jokes. Have. No. Place. In. Mafia. You are contributing nothing to the game by saying "im voting u becus u lyk carrots!!1 XDDDDD".

Anyway, by saying I'm reacting this way because I want reads is inherently implying that you think I'm town (because, as I already said, mafia don't give a hoot about towntells/scumtells, they only want PR slips). Why would you have reason to think that already?

Surely the mafia could intentionally not participate in lynches, making there not be a majority and therefor there will always be no lynches, allowing more opportunities for night kills?

Both "teams" argue like Mafia. Just saying.

Surely the mafia could intentionally not participate in lynches, making there not be a majority and therefor there will always be no lynches, allowing more opportunities for night kills?

They could, but there are only 5 mafia and 22 players, so we can easily get a majority without them.

Guys, don't forget that there's a werewolf on the loose! XD
No seriously, we're all screwed.

It's a coin flip. XD You've been mafia half the time. XDD
Each RNG is an independent event (unless you can show that the RNG is flawed and not truly random or that there is an active effort by hosts to make Rio Kamishiro mafia). So a person's past RNG results have no bearing on the RNG result for this game. The RNG could make someone mafia 100 times in a row, but it doesn't make it anymore likely for them to be mafia on the 101st RNG. It could be that Rio Kamishiro is mafia. It could be that she is town. It could be that she is the Werewolf or the Puppet. But there is no way of knowing that based off of past RNG results.

Why would "scum-buddies" need a read on anyone? The only thing mafia are concerned about is finding the power roles - they don't need to get a town/mafia read since they already know the who's mafia and who isn't.
I disagree. The mafia also want mislynches, so even though they already know who is mafia and who isn't, they want to know which non-mafia are acting scummier than others.

If there is a no lynch, the Executioner (town-aligned) gets to kill someone the following night. The mafia can exert some influence on a lynch, but they have no control over who the Executioner decides to kill. So unless the mafia kill off the Executioner (and the mafia would know they had because of the Bookkeeper), I don't think they want no lynches.

At the moment, the one thing I have to say is that Sputnik's vote on Rio Kamishiro just seems incredibly reckless.

It's not as though we didn't have plenty of time after the phase started to wait and consider a vote for a reason other than the fact that Rio has been mafia in about a third of all games she has played.

In a normal game, that might be acceptable (now, I'm not condoning or not condoning joke votes, that's not my issue here), but when the stakes feel higher here, that rubs me the wrong way. So honestly, I would be willing to throw a vote her way. Because a simple FoS to start discussion would've sufficed rather than a vote right off the bat.

Allright, we have two options. We can lynch (most likely at random), or we can no lynch. While you would think no lynch is the better option in this scenario, it is not. If we lynch, the mortician will be able to see what happened. If we don't lynch, the executioner is going to kill someone* and we will never find out anything about whoever he kills.

*look at the player list, as meta as this sounds, I think most people on there actually would kill someone at random with this role.

Of course this brings me to the third option, which is hoping that the executioner reads this and doesn't execute anyone should we decide on a no lynch, which we can also try.

Allright, we have two options. We can lynch (most likely at random), or we can no lynch. While you would think no lynch is the better option in this scenario, it is not. If we lynch, the mortician will be able to see what happened. If we don't lynch, the executioner is going to kill someone* and we will never find out anything about whoever he kills.

*look at the player list, as meta as this sounds, I think most people on there actually would kill someone at random with this role.

Of course this brings me to the third option, which is hoping that the executioner reads this and doesn't execute anyone should we decide on a no lynch, which we can also try.

Yeah, I really prefer us deciding together over the executioner deciding alone.

I'm glad I got into this game, I'm a big fan of burning witches. Now then, before I get started I have one question.

You see Phoenicks shouting "We finally got one!" You edge closer to find out who. There, tied to a stake:

"It's not me!" Light Bringer cries. "I didn't kill Feralize; he did!" She points at you.

How did Light Bringer point if she was tied up?

She's a witch.

Yeah, I really prefer us deciding together over the executioner deciding alone.

I agree on these previous statments. In this game, the stakes are higher. It'd be far better for us to decide as a collective instead of leaving one person do the killing for us. We still have the witches and the werewolf to worry about.

fos on Sputnik, since that vote was right out the bat. I agree with final on this one, it just feels wrong.

I realize we don't have a lot to go on right now, but I would prefer not to pursue gut-feelings at this point.

As for the whole Executioner scenario, I agree it would be best to lynch rather than leave it to them, but let's not forget there is one benefit to letting the Executioner decide the kill: We'll know the target was chosen by a Townie. It's not much, but when we lynch we're susceptible to mafia influence, the Executioner's kill isn't - so it wouldn't be a TOTAL loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom