• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

Srebak

Reaction score
Like the title says, list the words and phrases that leave a bad taste in your mind for whatever reason.

For me, it's--

Grow up

Earn/earn it

Real world

It's my job/that's their job

This doesn't change anything

I don't like it when people say the term "toss it" to throw away trash/whatever. It brings me back to a time when someone was commanding me to throw something away that I really didn't want to when I was a kid, so now whenever I hear it I get brought back to that moment. Uugh.

I've always felt that the phrases "too soon" and "it was a different time" are poor excuses for resenting jokes made in bad taste and allowing poor behavior, respectively. If something is bad to do, it's always bad to do and nothing changes that to me. I believe time is a made-up human concept anyway. It's hard to explain, but anything having to do with time gives me difficulty. [/puttingmyopinioninslashessopeopleseethatirealizethatmyopinionisunpopularandhopefullywon'tbustmyassaboutit]

"No offense, but..."

"It's just my opinion!"/"Freedom as speech!!1!"

"Get over it"/"Deal with it" in almost all of the contexts its said to me in.

Same with "What did you expect?!" as a response.

I have one that I despise, and it's "sit like a lady". I hate being told that. Why should I have to sit any different to anyone else just because I'm a girl? If somebody says it to me, I'll usually just ignore them. As for actual words, I've always hated the word "cunt". I feel it's just too much to drop in casual conversation. It makes me wince.

being called a 'flumpkin' i don't really know what it is but my friend calls me it and it real annoying
and what do you 'what do you want to be went you grow up' it just makes me feel rushed :/

I could go on all day about this stuff.

consumer
premium
gamer
gaming
center
wi-fi *shudder*

Why? Well, in order, because it's being used to refer to things that aren't literally consumed, because it's referred to upsell anything for any reason, the word is player and playing, because it's used to describe everything ("book center vs. bookstore") and lend an air of nebulous importance, because it doesn't mean anything.

Really I spend far too much time freaking out over linguistic matters. I've got a much bigger list...

• Get a life/Grow up: That phrase always felt rather mean, or for me at least. Although I do find "get a life" a lot harsh.
  • Perfect match: Just because somebody has different interests doesn't mean they cannot be with you. Looking for a "perfect match" is disgraceful.
  • I have the same problem too: Why tell somebody that when that isn't a valid answer? It is pointless and silly.
  • Diaper: ...I am never going to type that dreaded word down again. I always despised both the word and the thing itself, it makes me cringe badly.
  • Basically: The most overused word. Need I say more?

Last edited:
I've always felt that the phrases "too soon" and "it was a different time" are poor excuses for resenting jokes made in bad taste and allowing poor behavior, respectively. If something is bad to do, it's always bad to do and nothing changes that to me. I believe time is a made-up human concept anyway. It's hard to explain, but anything having to do with time gives me difficulty. [/puttingmyopinioninslashessopeopleseethatirealizethatmyopinionisunpopularandhopefullywon'tbustmyassaboutit]

In the same vein, it bothers me when people say "I was obviously joking" as a cop out when they say something stupid as opposed to admitting that they made a mistake and owning up to it.

Eh..."In my opinion" or "can I ask you a question?" These are just plain annoying.

Please just state your opinion, I know it's yours! You don't have to tell me that, stop trying to shield yourself from my 'judgment'. The same with the other one, just ask your question. Don't give me a harbinger before it! I'm quite intelligent, I understand what a question is! xD

"no offence, but" go fUCK URSEFL IT IS GOIN T O BE OFFENSIVE ANyWAY

why people think others won't take offence just because they say "no offence" is really beyond me

I really, really hate the words 'tyke', 'shucks', and 'golly'. They just irritate me so much, I really can't describe...

Also, even though I love a good curse every once in a while, I hate it when people overdo it for no good reason. Like, I personally don't curse myself except inside my head.

"no offence, but" go fUCK URSEFL IT IS GOIN T O BE OFFENSIVE ANyWAY

why people think others won't take offence just because they say "no offence" is really beyond me

I'm going to start saying "no offense" before things that are completely non offensive. "No offense, but I like your hair." "No offense, but can you tell me where the bus stop is?" "No offense, but did you catch that last episode of Breaking Bad?"

I hate the phrase "Yes, and [...]" because of this improv class I took where that was the technique. Someone says the first line, and then the reply has to be "Yes, and whatever," and then the first person says yes and... again, and so on and so on, ANNNNND SCENE! And the crowd goes goddamn wild. Except not, because we just showed them literally the dumbest thing they'd ever seen.

'unctuous' is just a word that makes my skin crawl

"Deal with it," because it reminds me of the 2010-ish era when every person and their mother used it as a lazy comeback, making them sound like obnoxious 13 year-olds (and that's an insult to 13 year olds).

"Get a life"- Everyone is different and I just hate it when people say this, how do they know what a person's life is like, sometimes people have difficulties, it's kind of insensitive

"Get over it"- Again, you don't know what the person is going through and it can be hard to understand, everyone copes with things their own way.

"That's that/Because I said so"- This seriously annoys me, it really doesen't help and is really not an answer to anything.

"No offense, but..."

"It's just my opinion!"/"Freedom as speech!!1!"

"Get over it"/"Deal with it" in almost all of the contexts its said to me in.

Same with "What did you expect?!" as a response.

Add "you're just too sensitive" to that list and you've got me.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom