• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Pokémon Move Names

Chalkwriter

The non-erasable chalk
Reaction score
A very simple thread, in which you post the name of a move you think sounds dumb, and why you think it sounds dumb.

One of my pet hates for names is "Muddy Water". It doesn't sound in the least bit threatening, or testify the awesomeness of the Pokémon that first used it (Swampert). What could it do, anyway? Poison me by contaminating the water supply? It sounds useless.

Remember that you can discuss this with other people, provided you don't go something like "You are so dumb because you think <move name> is dumb etc."

Gastro Acid... the name fits the move, but it's disgusting.
Roar... the effect in a trainer battle doesn't make sense. I can see why it would make one Pokémon leave, but how does it magically summon another?
And Metronome's Japanese name "Wag Finger". Like that's so threatening. "Hey! You! I'm going to wag my finger at you!" The name Metronome itself is bad too, but at least it sounds cool

Struggle Bug/Insect Opposition. What the hell do either of those names even mean!?

Bubble. Bubblebeam. Flash.

The first two, bubbles, wow, how scary.

The third... well.

Tail Whip. you'd think it would be slapping an enemy with your tail, but really it's just wiggling your butt.

Close Combat...I prefer Infight.

Pound, for reasons that are personal.

Psychic/Confusion=Dubfail/Wat?

Snarl=Dubfail. Bark Out makes more Darksense.

Head Charge=Censorship in Pokémon.

Hyper Beam might as will be LAZAH BEAM!

Aerial Ace=dub trying too hard.

Focus Blast loses to Kiai Bullet in coolness.

Struggle Bug:If you don't know the origin, you will never get the reference.

Pledge is not as intense as Oath moves.

Bubble and BubbleBeam are more intense if you get the reference...

Lava Plume...Attack looks like it's Japanese name...SMOKE BURST!(Which is more original)

Detect? Detect what?(A non-anime explanation, please!)

I would have never taken Tackle's name serious if it wasn't for Gen.V making it a legitimate early-game threat...

Gust? doesn't look like it moves at such speeds...

Shadow Force...???

Luke, use the Force Palm...

Stealth Rock? It's not Stealthy at all...

Spikes...OH, ENGLISH SPEAKERS HAVE NO CLUE WHAT CALTROPS ARE, NOR WILL THEY HAVE AN INKLING TO LOOK IT UP ON THE INTERNET...

Assist could have a more feline English name...

Water Gun...Not really...more like Water Shot...

Thunder_ is sound. Lightning_ is electricity. Kids should be taught that through games. Remember that, Japan.

Heat Crash has nothing on Heat Stamp, but I guess Heart Stamp was TOO SIMILAR...

Agility has nothing to do with speed, it refers to the ratio of flexibility over reflexesXfitness...

SuperSonicracing, will keep your feet right off the ground...

Embers are SOLID PROJECTILES. Fireballs are too Mario-ish energy(Adventures till Sinnoh and Orange Islands anime got it right)

Ant move with pointless CamelCase spelling.

Part two much later...

Any of the moves that have 'Sport' at the end of it.
Also, I believe there is a move called SmellingSalt or something like that. I've only seen it on Pokémon Colosseum for Makuhita, but that's an awful name.

Razor Shell compared to Shell Blade (the Japanese name). Shell Blade sounds so much more fitting to me. :/

Spacial Rend, That would normally be a pretty decent name but, Spacial Rend in place of something as awesome as Subspace Tear?

Pay Day is another one that I don't like in-comparison to Coin for a Cat.

A reverse to the normal pattern so far, I prefer the English name, Rock Wrecker, to Rock Cannon, Rock Wrecker sounds like it's got more force to it.

I prefer Judgement to Judgement Strike, Just Judgement sounds a little cooler.

Horn Leech and Wood Horn both sound stupid to me, not sure why.

Chirp Chirp Punch, Yeah, I know there are birds and confusion but, still, can't take Dizzy Punch seriously either.

Return, It's just, Return.

I can just imagine someone using Return against a boss or something:
"Torterra, use Return!"
"No, don't go back into your Poké Ball! I meant Return, not return!"

or something more amusing like that.

Bubble. Bubblebeam. Flash.

The first two, bubbles, wow, how scary.

The third... well.
Flash actually makes sense. Have you ever had your picture taken by a real photgrapher at a studio and then you can't see very well for a few minutes afterward because of the flash? It makes sense that a flash could ower accuracy. What doesn't make sense is its use as an HM... a flash would light up a cave for a split second, not keep the cave lit the entire time.

Pay Day is another one that I don't like in-comparison to Coin for a Cat.
"Coin for a Cat" doesn't make sense when its being used by a non-cat.

Flash Cannon and Metal Burst have always rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason. They just sound...wrong to me. I dunno why.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom