• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Pokémon Move Names

I was thinking more like... flash. Like this. Because I'm immature.
Haha, I see. That never even crossed my mind.

Another move like that is "Acid"... I mean like "Gloom used Acid!" sounds a lot like "Gloom used LSD!". Not something I came up with on my own, but I read that somewhere, lol

Return, It's just, Return.

Maybe the Pokemon is a C-function.
(No, Return is actually short for Return a Favour if I remember right, because there is a limited number of characters in the game.)

I hate all the translated names containing censorship and the like. Look just what happened to our Destruction Ray (Hakai Kousen), Speed Star, Psychokinesis and Will-Power (Nenriki).
One name I don't understand is Night Head ナイトヘッド (the attack inflicts damage equal to your level). Can anyone explain?

Probably said before, but Aerial Ace. Even ignoring that it can be used by non-Flying Pokémon, the name just sounds really dumb.

I hate all the translated names containing censorship and the like. Look just what happened to our Destruction Ray (Hakai Kousen), Speed Star, Psychokinesis and Will-Power (Nenriki).
One name I don't understand is Night Head ナイトヘッド (the attack inflicts damage equal to your level). Can anyone explain?
I don't think any of that is "censorship". As for Night Head, I have no idea. Night Shade doesn't really make much sense either.

Return and Frustration are lame-ass names.

Water/Mud Sport are equally bad.

Spit up. Because, for one, it sounds a little vulgar, and two, it's extremely unimaginative.

Probably said before, but Aerial Ace. Even ignoring that it can be used by non-Flying Pokémon, the name just sounds really dumb.

Yeah, the Japanese name for that is much cooler...it's "Swallow Return", basically is the literal translation, but it refers to an ancient samurai technique that was a downward slash, than an upward slash, meant to reference the migration pattern of swallows. The fact it's Flying is probably a pun off of that, explaining why a lot of non Flying-types can learn it.

I never liked the name "Heavy slam" as a move name. It's very blunt, and I know quite a few Pokemon names are, but this one irks me in particular due to the fact it has an adjective slung to it, and it's still uncreative and dull. I know, there are a lot of move names probably like that, but that's only one that I can think of, right now...

Brave Bird and God Bird (Sky Attack's original Japanese name) sound incredibly silly.

I agree. It sounds even more silly when a Crobat uses it. I mean, it's not even a bird.

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Aerial Ace is the effing shit. Swallow Return on the other hand is incredibly lame. Swallows don't even exist in the Pokemon world so it makes no sense to name a move something like that.

Also, Cross Fire and CrossThunder. Laaaaaame. They don't resemble or even have anything to do with 'Cross.' Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt are much cooler.

Water Spout.

Aside from the obvious innuendo, it just sounds so stupid. Well, compared to Eruption, anyways (Water Spout is the Water-type equivalent of Eruption).

Sucker punch, actually I like the name but it doesn't seem appropriate. Something like "Cheap Shot" would sound more convincing...
And Tail Whip... I still don't get why it doesn't do damage.

Tail Whip should be Tail Swing or something

It's originally Tail Wag. Was also called that in the TCG. The Pokemon waves its butt cutely to lower the opponent's defence (gets him off guard or something).

Hail. When it's used as a move, I'm okay with it, but when you see snow in the game and they call it "Hail," that drives me nuts! Snow and hail are two different things people!

And Metronome's Japanese name "Wag Finger". Like that's so threatening. "Hey! You! I'm going to wag my finger at you!"

tumblr_lyfplm5Ozp1r4g1h7o1_500.gif

I was thinking more like... flash. Like this. Because I'm immature.

Bwahahahahahahahahahah!!!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom