• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Pokémon Move Names

Going with what others have posted, I think Confusion is the worst. I always wondered why psychic-types in other media defaulted to using "confusion" when using a psychic move. When you know its Japanese name, it makes so much more sense as to why this is the default Psychic move.

I really think Glaciate should be called "Cold Fusion", granted, it doesn't match up with Fusion Flare or Fusion Bolt in terms of what it does, but "Cold Fusion" sounds so much cooler, don't you agree?

I really think Glaciate should be called "Cold Fusion", granted, it doesn't match up with Fusion Flare or Fusion Bolt in terms of what it does, but "Cold Fusion" sounds so much cooler, don't you agree?

"Cooler", yes.

"Autotomize" seems too much of a mouthful for me, although I don't like the gear move names in general for some reason I can't put my finger on (probably because I lost them when they got caught in a "Gear Grind"). I mean, I don't find "Shift Gear" sounds good because the gear theme seems more about cogs, not actual gears.

"Spit Up" and "Swallow". I didn't see anything wrong with that when I was younger but now... Arceus, I have a dirty mind D:

Fake Tears and Light Screen. For some reason Light Screen doesn't sound like the support move that it is but to be honest I think we get used to some of the weird names eventually.

Ember is still the one that bugs me.

Is it made of embers or fireballs? MAKE UP YOUR MINDS, MIXED MEDIA!

Me First
Snatch
Explosion
Pound
Power Split
Gunk Shot

Stop putting pervy names in my pokemans.

I don't know if someone has posted this already, but I find the move "Encore" to be an odd name for a move. I like the move itself, but I would find it awkward in a battle to say "Politoed use Encore!".

And more:

Mirror Move, I used to think this move was Psychic type until I read Bulbapedia.... Wtf? Nintendo...

Splash, it makes no sense, useless move aswell.

Double Hit, childish sounding, it's OBVIOUS it's a "Double Hit" CAUSE IT HITS MULTIPLE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES!!! *angry german kid voice*

Foul Play can be taken many ways...

Hyper Voice, boring someone to death by talking like a midget on steroids

Also Storm Throw. That doesn't even make sense!

Okay, now there's more.

Reflect, doesn't make sense, you don't even reflect, you just raise your Defense, wtf Nintendo?

Harden, that name sounds... so... perverted. It's japanese name kinda resolves things.

Follow Me, it sounds so childish!

Me First, same as Follow Me.

Pound, kinda sounds like Pwned.

Round, sounds so nonsense

AncientPower, it makes no sense.

Amnesia.
How does a loss of memory help you raise your Special Defence?

I second that, Jack Walker.

There's a french name for a move that bothers me a little bit :

Eclair Fou (Wild Charge in french, literally translated as Mad Lightning). For some reason it doesn't sound like the move itself to me.

Leaf Tornado. I like Grass Mixer (the Japanese name) a lot better. Plus since there's already a Leaf Storm, I think Leaf Tornado is somewhat redundant. Flame Charge as well, it sounds kinda generic compared to its Japanese name, Nitro Charge.

I would say Hyper beam. It's name really doesn't mean anything at all. Solar beam, Ice beam, Signal beam etc. sounds great and all of them make sense. But Hyper beam? You can easily tell this attack first came out in Generation I by it's name. Because it's name smells like 90's. It's like game producers said, let's develop a normal type attack, name it super mega hyper gigantic beam and call it the strongest attack. And possibly they agreed in a shorter name in the end, which is Hyper beam.

Kamatachi.

Wind Weasels coming at me? AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thank Arceus for the dub name...*sarcastic*

Trick Room or really any move that doesn't sound like something you can command.
Rhyhorn, use Trick Room. What? Does he just magically teleport to new room?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom