• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would "Pokémon" really exist?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
Now I was watching a documentary about the universe and how life can exist is almost any form, being a person that is bound to the facts of chemistry and biology, it seems to me that, sure Pokémon do exist in our universe. But I want to know if anyone here would agree with this.

Think about it, DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) which is the building block of life is completely made of simple amino acids, which have been found in the astroid belt, surely even in our on Galaxy there has to be creatures similar to, or resembling Pokémon as we know it, are real.

Maybe I'm overreacting to my own way of thinking logically and scientifically, it's not as far-fetched as I make it out to be. There is an unlimited number of stars and lets assume one out of every ten of those stars have conditions for life to exist (which they almost certainly do).

The wide variety of Pokémon types in a subject like this makes me assume further that a planet for every type could exist.

My point is simply, one of the most fundamental mechanics of our universe is chemistry, and from that we get life.

Your thoughts?

On a realistic level, I'd say most Normal-type and simpler Pokémons life forms could have been real species in our world such as Tauros or Magikarp. Some other species, especially when considering their native powers... If not for our intelligence level allowing us to co-exist with them despite us being "weaker" by comparison, we wouldn't even be talking about it outside of isolated settlements. I mean, the matchup we have against our world's crocodiles and tigers in the wild are in their favor 90% of the time, so what can we do against something like a Krookodile or a Luxray ? One of them can hide in the desert's sand and chomp us on a surprise attack, and the other not only use electricity as its main power, but can also see us through walls, meaning we can't even hide from them if we tried to. And I'm not even bringing legendary Pokémons in the mix.

I might have gone off-topic for a bit, but tl;dr : Tauros and Magikarp could have existed.

it's possible that they exist with a whole undiscovered ruling of physics and chemistry. Pokemon with themes that involve shifting their molecules and such, Vaporeon, for example, are able to change their atoms to form in a way similar to water atoms. I'm all in to research that :D

Maybe on another planet there are creatures that look like and will be named after Pokémon - similiar to how many animals are named after and associated with Japanese mythological creatures in the Japanese language.

Or maybe if Game Freak has its own planet they could populate it with artificially made Pokémon.

Well another thing springs to mind. Oxygen.
The atmosphere must be saturated with oxygen. Given the size of some Pokémon, the lungs must be small because theres so much oxygen, the bodies could grow to immense proportions.

It's really hard to give a determinate answer, even including the "infinite universe" hypothesis. After all, what makes a Pokemon different from a regular monster or animal? I've thought of some answers and how likely they are to happen in our universe.

1. Elemental powers: The basic ones like Scratch, Growl, Tail whip, etc. obviously are possible, but the most advanced onces violate all kinds of rules of physics and require still unknown mental abilities to manipulate the objects and the energy around you.
2. Human-like intelligence and empathy: Many real world animals almost have it, so it's definitely possible. However, their language would have to be more complicated than just saying "Pika pika" for them to completely achieve it.
3. Ability to connect with humans and become co-dependent with them: Well, dogs achieved that and many domestic animals are close. However, for that relationship to happen naturally it would take thousands of years, and we still have not meet the first Pokemon, so...
4. Ability to go inside balls: Interestingly, I feel the anime version is closer to happen than the games' one. In the anime all you have to do is transform mass into energy and store it, which should be possible according to Einstein's laws so I feel humans could perfect it in 200-300 years from now. But the game version requires the Pokemon to become smaller and send its exceeding mass to...nowhere, which would violete basic physics laws.

In conclussion, we could definitely get strong super animals that are close to us somewhere in the future, but for them to actually have powers it would require special technology and more.

I love your way of thinking, first off.

The elemental powers is actually something I have fascinated my mind with. Us as humans don't understand exactly how our universe's laws work, if there are any laws at all, but in conclusion I do find it technically impossible, but nothing's impossible.

The language could be like a meow or bark, I've also wondered this, who knows. Although I like to think they say a cute "pika-pika" ^^

I believe the technology exists already. And hell ya, E=mc2 is basically energy and mass are the same thing, in a sense, well thats what my teacher told me. I would like to think chemistry plays a part because it seems to me a Pokéball manipulates molecules right down to the atom and subatomic particles.

i'd hate to be the cynic in this thread, but... i'm not too convinced.

i understand the core purpose (as i understand it?) is kinda "what if there's life out there that's similar to pokemon?" and well... maybe? it'd be silly to say one way or the other of course, because who knows what kind of life is out there? but i feel as if it's easier to comprehend and understand that whatever life that may exist out there is of the more mundane type that doesn't involve the more exaggerated powers pokemon tend to exhibit.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom