• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Anybody know why the notif system is so wonky? Every couple of days I have to unsub and resub to some of the threads I'm subbed to.

Well, you lose notifications for a thread whenever you don’t read the latest unread posts when prompted by the notifications icon.

Yeah, it can be quite the pain in the butt at times.

oh my god what??? Now I'm mad I never beat Colosseum. x_x That sounds fun. I think I got stuck at one of the final battles because my team was so woefully underleveled.

Colosseum, despite being one of my favorite games ever, has a pretty abysmal difficulty curve at the end of the main story, so that might not be entirely your fault, DP. The final string of bosses (Which you all fight in a row with not much in between in the way of trainers to grind against) have a 15-16 odd level gap between the first and final battles, of which there are seven. (Being Miror B., Lady Venus, Dakim, Ein, Gonzap, Nascour, and the final boss that I won't spoil, as it's a pretty cool reveal) You'll find yourself grinding out a good deal of mt. battle if you haven't already.

Colosseum, despite being one of my favorite games ever, has a pretty abysmal difficulty curve at the end of the main story, so that might not be entirely your fault, DP. The final string of bosses (Which you all fight in a row with not much in between in the way of trainers to grind against) have a 15-16 odd level gap between the first and final battles, of which there are seven. (Being Miror B., Lady Venus, Dakim, Ein, Gonzap, Nascour, and the final boss that I won't spoil, as it's a pretty cool reveal) You'll find yourself grinding out a good deal of mt. battle if you haven't already.

This was years ago, so my saved game is long gone. I don't remember there being a way to grind. But yeah, I was the type of player who'd switch out Pokémon as I purified them sans Espeon/Umbreon, so... I guess the trick was to just focus on one team? And maybe even a smaller team of 6? I'm not sure.

I got up to the 7th floor of the first Mt. Battle visit before losing. How long does it last?

Mt battle is 100 battles sectioned off into 10 sections. Although, when you first visit it's a story quest and you only go through nine and then a cipher admin for the tenth.

And DP, mt battle was the game's battle facility, and you could train there as much as you liked. It's actually my favorite battle facility, mainly because of the aesthetics.

I got through the postgame by importing my Level 80 Latias and training my Suicune, so I could stall out my enemies to death.

If all, the most troublesome mission for me was catching a Lv. 20 Shadow Togetic while having a team of Lv. 60+ Pokémon.

Catching anything after you get the master ball is a breeze. There's a glitch in colosseum that is very useful in catching. You select any type of pokeball and use it with your first pokemon, and then with your second, you go into the back and switch the spots of the pokeball you used and any other type of pokeball. You'll find that you get all the perks of the ball you used without consuming any balls at all.

Why are Pokéballs so rare in Colosseum? I keep missing out on Shadow Pokémon because I don't feel like backtracking to buy more.

Why are Pokéballs so rare in Colosseum? I keep missing out on Shadow Pokémon because I don't feel like backtracking to buy more.

I usually buy all mine at the outskirt stand.

Also, don't feel like backtracking? How lazy are you, dude? There isn't even "backtracking" to do, the only travel time you have is a ten second cut scene.

I don't feel too great today.

My friend, you have my full sympathy. I feel a bit the same way about IT support quite often. Best thing to do is to just get a huge amount of practice in. Live and breath in.

I don't know how to fix things in terms of how to make the 'mon in Phantom Project feel less human or at least address the existential problems that would arise from them being quite so humanized.

Let's have a chat on Discord about that sometime, mate.

So, today I've got the second housewarming to host, starting in about an hour, then tomorrow it's the Hamilton trip. Phew.

Also, got a big chunk of critique on a story and I want to implement it, but it's gonna be a huge job and require careful meticulous planning before I can actually write some changes. With two stories I'm already working on, I don't know how that's gonna go or whether I'll have any motivation for it to begin with. Depression is already causing me to be more unmotivated, tired and impatient and make poorer decisions. The new meds I'm trying haven't kicked in yet and I can't know if they'll even work.

Overall, I don't feel too great today. Not that I've felt great for a long time anyway.
Oh, my fullest sympathy to you! I was about to prattle on about Git and pair programming (two really great things!) like a broken record in hopes of lending some aid but it seems those would miss the actual issue.

For what it's worth, you could take the words of the senior Java developer of my team to heart; the only bad code is unreadable code.

All of the stories on this site are so well-written. How do I write atmospherically? I'm getting better at writing quantity, but I'm still not that good at pacing.

ScytheRider said that a good way to begin a story is with strong themes, but tension is also a good way to start. Wings of Fire hooked me immediately because the first book began with a dragon failing to escape from danger.

...Which the graphic novel completely removed.

Replying again because I'm too lazy to unsub and resub.

So, hi. Anything interesting happening with you guys today?

I'm actually making progress on my fanfic. I italicized progress because I've never actually made progress on a fanfiction before. I usually write chapter one and then I lose interest.

yea you pretty much always wanna have something with strong emotion and/or high stakes in the beginning unless you're prepared to only have really patient readers. because i read so damn little, i'm gonna use my own fics as examples: seiren starts with a bittersweet emotional scene of a protagonist's close one dying (later reincarnating) and hunter, haunted starts with the protagonist coming to his senses after committing ritualistic murder under possession. you can debate the scenes' quality, but both are planned to have a lot of emotion and impact on someone who just stumbled upon them. you want to make an impression that you can capture the reader's interest so that they'll trust your story to keep being engaging as they read further.

Replying again because I'm too lazy to unsub and resub.

is this still about the notifications thing? you just have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and it will alarm you next time. you'll find it's much less work than making an entire reply.

@BackSet What fanfiction is that?

Also, I see you're also on Zelda Universe.

@canisaries I see. The Tides Have Turned began with a brief description of what the protagonist does in the evening before he met the first Chekhov's Gunman; hardly that exciting. I should have begun it with the storm that gets briefly mentioned. It's on hiatus now.

Chaos in Kludgetown, meanwhile, will hopefully have a strong start, with a theme of confusion. Problem is, I'm not sure how to flow points together.

Some stories with great beginnings I've seen on this site are the Kingdom Hearts crossover with Keldeo, and the one where a Charmander is the guardian of the Grass Orb.

I think a good way to outline the plot of an original story idea I have is to write it as an in-universe ballad. I already made up the tune a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom