• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

This is something that you don't have to decide on right away. Originally, Hesh in my story was a minor character in previous drafts, serving more as comic relief. But his role expanded in the new iteration of the story, taking the spot of deuteragonist. It's not entirely unprecendented since I did plan for Hesh to have a larger role. But now, it feels like a portion of the story would be lost without him, which is the unexpected part.
Yeah. I do have a general idea of what I want to do with Leon: He will be setting out to rescue the Princess. I guess it will ultimately depend on how much "screen time" Leon gets that will determine whether he is a supporting character or a main character. Right?

So I have yet another WIP, and very little is keeping me from making it a "Randy Scouse Git" songfic, because some of the lyrics in that song fit just a little too well with what I'm writing. (This totally isn't "listen to 'Randy Scouse Git' so I can fangirl over it to someone" propaganda).

Maybe I'll name the chapters after lyrics from the song.

So I have yet another WIP, and very little is keeping me from making it a "Randy Scouse Git" songfic, because some of the lyrics in that song fit just a little too well with what I'm writing. (This totally isn't "listen to 'Randy Scouse Git' so I can fangirl over it to someone" propaganda).

Maybe I'll name the chapters after lyrics from the song.
Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself, writing all these stories (even if some are one-shots)? You don't want to burn out.

Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself, writing all these stories (even if some are one-shots)? You don't want to burn out.
Why... yes. I try not to, honestly, but it's hard.
I've always sort of been like that for everything; I'll jump from thing to thing. I can never focus on one thing.

I just had a wild thought.

Third person present tense prose fiction.

I know I'm not nearly as well read as I aught to be, but it's something I have no specific memory of encountering before.

First person past and third person past are like standard pretty much. First person present I've seen done before to great effect for immediacy, (and it can let the writer tell a first person story where the POV character's peril seems much more real).

But I don't think I've seen third person present before, at least in prose form.

However, like I said, I'm very poorly read.

I suppose I'll have to experiment on my own some time.

Just don't try and tempt me to actually posting material, I'm just here to cheer people on and run my mouth these days.

I've written in third person present tense before but only in summaries of books for school (and also scripts but those aren't prose).

I’ve read and written it before. Not my standard, but one of my current stories uses it (though parts of it are in past tense. eg: “She’s a good kid, but back in high school she was always misbehaving.”)

Last edited:
I have decided to take a break from my story for now. I do want to write it, but I think it would be best if I start at the beginning. By that, I mean write a story that helps me with the basics of character creation and development. I feel that is where I struggle. I am afraid that I might end up making my characters in the Final Fantasy story too perfect, which is something I don't want. World building I feel is easy enough to do. It's character creation and development that I need to work on. In chapter 1 of the Final Fantasy story, I feel like Leon and Erik both have the same (or at least similar) voice.

I REALLY should start small with short stories, but I keep thinking up ideas that cause them to be longer stories. How do I keep the stories from getting too big (in terms of scope and chapters)?

Do what I do: write fluffy or angsty oneshots of your OTP.

Think of a really mundane situation, or an event (like a party, a wedding, etc.), and try to keep the scope of your story within that situation/event.
There's also the possibility of writing a story about a character or 2 exploring an old tower or ruin, with the story taking place mostly inside. Of course, the goal would simply be to explore the place. Sure, I could do a "save (insert person)" type story and have it be on a much smaller scale.

@Greninjaman

Here's a challenge for you:

--Pick a Zelda dungeon. Any era of Zelda will do.
--Now write Link going through the dungeon from Link's perspective--and keep your focus to what Link is thinking as he goes through the dungeon.
Consider your challenge, accepted!
Three quick question for you about this:
1) Can I change the reason Link is going into said dungeon?
2) Can I change the location of the dungeon?
3) Are mini-dungeons fair game for the challenge?

Last edited:
Here's a challenge for you:

--Pick a Zelda dungeon. Any era of Zelda will do.
--Now write Link going through the dungeon from Link's perspective--and keep your focus to what Link is thinking as he goes through the dungeon.
Wasn't for me, but hey, I might give this a go as well.

Back
Top Bottom