• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

The Ultra Necrozma fight was well-designed main series boss.

It's difficult, and while there are easy ways out, it ensures you have to come up with some sort of strategy or plan in order to fully defeat it in battle without it being far too overwhelming when you do have a strategy. Honestly does this better than the likes of Volo. It's something many Pokémon fans have always asked for since they complain about Pokémon games being "too easy".

Volo has two types of players: Those who prioritize on the story; those who prioritize on the catching. The latter have a much easier time with Volo overall and there are a significant amount of Pokémon you could use to deal with him easily without much of a clear plan. Some of those Pokémon are even mandatory for you to obtain in order to battle off in that match.

It's overstated just how centralizing Ultra Necrozma really is.

For example there is a lady on Poni Island who gives you a Focus Sash after you defeat her and you can try to come up with plenty of possible strategies with it.

There are also numerous different Pokémon with all sorts of wacky moves and abilities you could use to deal with just 1 Pokémon, like Nuzzle, Imposter, Mirror Coat, Toxic + Protect, etc

The only flaw Ultra Necrozma has is that it's the only Pokémon in the boss fight. No matter the case, being the only Pokémon in a match will always have some form of disadvantage, but when you're the main antagonist of the game, piloting the entire climax on your own, and still come across as one of the most insane boss fights of the series, this being your only flaw is honestly an incredible thing to have. It makes Ultra Necrozma feel more epic than the Giratina in Legends Arceus for being the one in full control of its entire schemes.

This one flaw also makes the Necrozma fight not as immensely overbearing and truly destructive as it could have been. If it was backed up by a full team of six it would have likely completely destroyed variety in what kinds of Pokémon you can go through the game with.

Leon is my favorite champion
Almost every champion in terms of how they talk about battles. With the exception of hau, and Leon. They always discuss being the best like no one ever was. While Leon focuses on just having a good time battling. It's really refreshing. His team is also very diverse and actually made me lose my first couple of times. l love how his passion of battling is portrayed in his battle theme. A stunning rendition of the hall of fame theme that still befits a champion battle.
I also enjoy how he portrays the games theme of legacy and passing the torch onto the younger generation

Sorry to be buzzkill, as I'm debunking something I've seen various content creators obsess over and do a lot, but the idea of determining who the strongest trainer is in Pokémon canon is ridiculous as Pokémon's canon is extremely loose. Much more loose than what at least 95% or more of Pokémon fans want to believe. It spans throughout an entire multiverse of infinite universes and infinite different possibilities, including each of our own personal experiences in our own save files as their own individual universes each. The latter was confirmed by an interview with Satoshi Tajiri in 1997 and an Entralink feature in Pokémon Black and White. The former was confirmed by the combination of:

1) Celestic Town lore: Stating that Palkia not only embodies all the space of a universe, but the material space of all dimensions
2) Ultra Space: Being a dimension outside the planes of a universe, connecting countless amounts of wormholes that mostly all lead to different universes. This is essentially the multiverse and because it links all the Pokémon universes together from a dimension outside them, Palkia embodies the Pokémon multiverse, with Ultra Space merely being an extension of Palkia itself.
3) An interview with Junichi Masuda, explaining that space-time in Pokémon is infinite. This by extension means Ultra Space is infinite, confirming the Pokémon multiverse is infinite in size.

The latter is also backed up by:
1) The TCG backing up the concept of infinite time and infinite space within Pokémon
2) Palkia and Dialga being able to create a universe in the anime and nearly doing so in the games, indicating how they are both beyond the limits of just a universe.
3) Pokémon Masters EX (a game that is confirmed to cautiously have only things mainline game characters would do and say) having Zinnia explicitly state that Pokémon has infinite universes.

When many people try to determine who the most powerful trainer is, they ignore trainers who are actually canon but may not seem like it. Everything in the canon is canon, but people tend to nitpick what's canon and not canon within the canon despite that. For example, All Secret Base and Super Secret Base trainers are canon (we can all be canon within someone's own game in Pokémon), all Battle Facility trainers and trainers we battle online are canon, every character from games whose existence is recognized by main series, TCG, or anime is canon, including Mysterial for example. I've seen people try to frame each as these as "non-canon" to the series. That's not how Pokémon's canon works. Even every trade, transfer, and event distributed in the Pokémon series is canon in Pokémon. Every single one of our personal experiences are officially recognized within the series.

I am not saying everything Pokémon is canon. The official canon in Pokémon consists of the main series games, the anime, the Trading Card Game, and the manga. The games officially recognize the existence of Pokémon anime and TCG universes through media from said universes of showing up in the games in some way, usually in the form of an event, meaning they are all canon to each other. Any piece of media that can be recognized by the canon, is canon itself, as canon is aware of their existence. This includes the movies, a handful of spinoffs such as Pokémon Ranger and Pokémon Conquest, and side series games that allow you to directly transfer Pokémon to or from main series games, like GO, Colosseum, Battle Revolution, and XD. Anything that's not recognized by canon, is what's not confirmed to be canon. Correct me if this is false but Pokémon Mystery Dungeon has not been recognized by any sort of official canon media for Pokémon, and is thus not confirmed to be canon, but Nobunaga and his Shiny Rayquaza from Pokémon Conquest were featured in both the mainline games and the TCG, confirming the existence of Pokémon Conquest universes to canon, and making Pokémon Conquest canon.

What does this mean for trainers?

Your friend Jimmy down the street from you could be the world's most powerful trainer in canon. Maybe it could also be a consistent VGC player, like WolfeyVGC. Want to measure just NPCs? There is a guy in Pokémon Battle Revolution with Palkia, Kyogre, Mewtwo, and Lugia, but also players who are made as NPCs in other people's games in Secret Bases or Super Secret Bases. There's a random NPC in Sun and Moon's Malie City Pokémon Center who claimed they got wonder traded a Mewtwo, similar to how Super Secret Base trainers in ORAS occasionally tell you the latest Pokémon they received from Wonder Trades that actually happen.

Champions can't really be pointed out here either, as an NPC in the ORAS Battle Institute realizes then states that there are many trainers across the world who are more powerful than Champions, as being more powerful than Champions is the requirement for trying out the Institute. Anyone could be the best, especially if they have the best Pokémon, but it's likely never a notable trainer within the story of a Pokémon game, especially since they've historically had teams lacking for what is realistically possible in Pokémon games, and random battle facility trainers show this off.

Last edited:
Not sure it's controversial because it's not a topic I see extremely often nor is it something truly realistic at this point but, I don't think there's a point to having a Pokémon game with every region in it.

If we took one region with the content of most if not all the current regions so far would be fine, but all having the regions in would do is take up too much space for the game to function reasonably well.

The only merit to a game with all regions just the nostalgic feeling of traveling to the same areas you most likely already have access to if you're wanting said region to be a part of the game. Just going to the game of said region is enough for that.

With this in mind I have another claim to make. The addition of Kanto is Pokémon's most overrated postgame feature. In those games, the Kanto almost entirely featureless, bar a transfer system forced into it to give a small extra reason to enter Kanto, and the Game Corner returning. It is also very barren overall, even in comparison to Pokémon games that are just Kanto.

If we just took HGSS Johto, doubled the amount of obtainable Pokémon in the region, implement the Pal Park, install a Game Corner, and allowed Kanto Gym Leaders and legendaries to traverse there, this would almost equate to the level of content HGSS currently has. In terms of features in facilities within a region and the amount of obtainable Pokémon there are, games like Pokémon Black 2 White 2 already show how HGSS Johto would have been perfectly fine with not having Kanto by just merging content.

Kanto was completely barren and uninteresting in gen 2, but i feel like gen 4 mostly did the region justice. Many of the cut dungeons and other locations were brought back in the remake, making kanto feel like a real region rather than a boss rush. Cutting kanto would also not make sense for a remake of gen 2; it would not feel like a Johto game if we can't visit Kanto.

install a Game Corner
HGSS has no game corner anywhere, either in Johto or in Kanto. Good riddance imo.

There shouldn't be Terrastarilizing in any remake this generation, whether that's Johto or Unova. And yes, I know ORAS had Mega Evolutions, but a remake being reliant on the generational gimmick would inevitably cause Pokemon who finally got that much-needed buff from the gimmick to eventually lose it, a prime example? Some Mega Evolutions that were actually not broken while also helping out the Pokemon they were given to, all lost.

One of the very few things BDSP did right was not have any generational gimmicks at all, and yes I still consider this a positive point.

Despite its flaws leaving its feasibility limited, especially when the 3DS online shuts down, USUM's Battle Agency was a pretty cool. Would have been perfect if Festival Fans had their Pokémon's level scaled to the Pokémon you picked.

Not sure it's controversial because it's not a topic I see extremely often nor is it something truly realistic at this point but, I don't think there's a point to having a Pokémon game with every region in it.

The Pokémon World has expanded to the point that it is unfeasible, if not exactly impossible, for a single game to contain all the regions and content that we have been introduced, let alone present it in a structured and progressive way.

The question raised, then, may have been controversial at the beginning of the franchise, but today it is certainly no longer the case.

With this in mind I have another claim to make. The addition of Kanto is Pokémon's most overrated postgame feature. In those games, the Kanto almost entirely featureless, bar a transfer system forced into it to give a small extra reason to enter Kanto, and the Game Corner returning. It is also very barren overall, even in comparison to Pokémon games that are just Kanto.

If we just took HGSS Johto, doubled the amount of obtainable Pokémon in the region, implement the Pal Park, install a Game Corner, and allowed Kanto Gym Leaders and legendaries to traverse there, this would almost equate to the level of content HGSS currently has. In terms of features in facilities within a region and the amount of obtainable Pokémon there are, games like Pokémon Black 2 White 2 already show how HGSS Johto would have been perfectly fine with not having Kanto by just merging content.

At the launch of the first generation, no one believed that the games would achieve the success they did, and there were no concrete and immediate plans for a sequel and serialization of the games. The Second generation should be analyzed with this in mind, It is always important to consider the entire context when analyzing and criticizing something.

Pokémon Silver/Gold were released during the height of the Pokémon fever that spread across the world with the first wave of games and the anime, and were intended as both a sequel and a definitive/final version for the first generation story/games.

That's why the second generation brings with it Kanto, due to the apparent need to connect the new game to the enormous success of the previous instance, the desire of the producers to correct, readapt and add much of what they had previously idealized in a definitive version, and probably the lack of previous planning in relation to the serialization of the franchise, and not simply "Nostalgia", after all Kanto was something current at that time.

However, I agree that the version of Kanto we have in the second generation is a rushed and dwarfed version, which lacks content and depth. HGSS certainly improves the representation a bit, but, in my opinion, it could have done much more. I also agree that having two regions in the same game causes a lot of redundancy.

In other hand, your comparison of the Second generation with BW2 is curious, because both instances of the franchise has, in principle, some common points. That is, both games are a reimagination and a sequel to the previous instances with the intention of adding new content and revisiting, after a few years, stories, characters and locations from the previous game, as well as adding new ones.

The major difference, however, is that BW2 had no obligation or intention to be the guiding thread for the serialization of the franchise and the expansion of that universe. On the contrary, BW2, like USUM and the infamous third versions, are games that aim to revisit and improve their own generation, while giving more time for the next instance of the franchise's serialization, which was only supposed to be released on the next console.

Anyway, I agree with you that johto could have been perfectly fine on its own, by merging content and expanding the region itself, but, as I said, it is important to take the context of the production and release of each game, beyond that revisiting Kanto only in Johto would be different, and, theoretically, more limited, than revisiting Unova in Unova itself, years later.

Last edited:
The constant demands for a china, india, austraila region are reductive and honestly racist in the narrow-minded sense.

They split japan into 4 regions and have had small individual states as US regions.

Maybe demand tasmania, uttar pradesh, fujian regions instead of the entire countries.

The constant demands for a china, india, austraila region are reductive and honestly racist in the narrow-minded sense.

They split japan into 4 regions and have had small individual states as US regions.

Maybe demand tasmania, uttar pradesh, fujian regions instead of the entire countries.
and I'm just out here wanting a nother tropical region but more jungle-like and with several hundreds of Pokémon. Minimal desert and snow. Give it a very large rainforest, have existing legendaries like Lunala take a major role in it. I'd like something bat-like. Adding Secret Bases all around and giving the region significant culture unique to it would be nice too. Something that would make exploring the world of Pokémon feel as if it has so much more life in the wild than we've ever seen.

Alola was the closest Pokémon would ever get to this vision, which I'm fine with.

I don't have much to ask that's feasible. I'm down for just good region designs with lots of content and no gamebreaking features.

I'm firm in my belief that every Pokémon is cute in some way except Mewtwo (excluding Mega Y), Barbaracle, and Zygarde 50% Forme. The latter is nauseatingly hideous, but I see Mewtwo a lot more often, so Mewtwo is more of a problem lol. What a piece of trash. :D

"Perhaps" more controversially, I'd prefer if the core series toned down the battling in favor of collecting, sort of like (but not exactly like because grindy) PLA. I don't like battling. I play Pokeymans for the cute critters. (But not for the ones listed above. Those can eat poo.)

Kind of, but in terms of pure quantities of areas, especially routes, Johto is pretty lacking compared to some newer, more modern regions. There's only 20 routes, and some of them are somewhat short and would probably be combined into 1, so it's really more like 13. If Johto were to be in a game by itself, it definitely needs new areas. Other than that, I think it could work as a singular region.

Last edited:
HGSS didn't "ruin" the Goldenrod City theme. I like it and think it's quite pleasant.

It's time for Johto to stand on its own as a region. It can be spruced up, but I think we're long overdue for a Johto game that doesn't include Kanto. Kanto's to the east of the parts of Johto we're familiar with. Maybe it's time to explore some more potential Johto to the north, south, or west?

I can see your point fitting China & India but not Australia. Yes Australia's big land wise but most of that's desert and culturally we're no more depth than any of the 3 European regions. The main hesitation I have about them doing an Australian region is how they'd handle ATSI people.

I can see your point fitting China & India but not Australia. Yes Australia's big land wise but most of that's desert and culturally we're no more depth than any of the 3 European regions. The main hesitation I have about them doing an Australian region is how they'd handle ATSI people.
why do you assume they'd handle ATSI people at all? i don't recall any native americans in Unova

Back
Top Bottom