• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your views on Gay Marriage/Gays in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
well said. I can't stand pro-gay marriage people who spew hatred right back as if their hate is any less harmful or hurtful to society as the anti-gay people's. Your views are different but neither is ultimately right or wrong.

I think we've earned a right to be angry

how many people have been brutally beaten and murdered because they were heterosexual?

too many.

I would like some examples of heterosexuals who have been beaten for being heterosexual only (and not because they were heterosexuals who raped another heterosexual or committed any other sort of crime that established the basis of their heterosexuality... just for being hetero and minding their own business about it), and then compare the percentage of heterosexuals who have been beaten for this, and compare to the percentage of homosexuals who have been beaten for being homosexual.

Generally, people do not get beaten for being heterosexual, because most people are heterosexual. I can't give specific examples because I don't know anyone or know where to look them up. I just know that these things happen.

I think we've earned a right to be angry

how many people have been brutally beaten and murdered because they were heterosexual?

Your mixups of the terms aside...fighting fire with fire doesn't always work. Hate only spawns more hate. A resolution can only be reached when BOTH sides stop yelling and cursing each other long enough to sit down and listen. Being a minority or oppressed group doesn't mean you get an automatic "Get Out of Jail Free Card" when it comes to voicing their own hatred.

It's a fair point, and it's unfortunate that ANY violence occurs just because of someone's sexual orientation...but I still believe that spewing hatred from either side of the argument is counterproductive and just plain wrong.

It's a fair point, and it's unfortunate that ANY violence occurs just because of someone's sexual orientation...but I still believe that spewing hatred from either side of the argument is counterproductive and just plain wrong.

This.
Joy.gif
Joy.gif
Joy.gif
Joy.gif
Joy.gif

Not everyone has been "spewing hatred" in the last few pages...

Hmmm, interesting posts for the last 2 pages or so....Didn't like the fact that some people on here aren't as tolerant of other views and call them names....irony? Or just expected bickery?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14045538/
http://www.manches.com/news/news.php?id=212
http://card.wordpress.com/2006/11/2...er-alleges-discrimination-by-gay-supervisors/

Just a couple of articles on homosexuals being accused of discriminating heterosexuals. It happens, just doesn't make the news as much.

I very much dislike it when a person in a minority group spews hate, I also dislike a lot when a person in a majority group spews hate. Wrong + Wrong won't make things any better. Nido is free to express his opinions without being called a Nazi. As is those who call him such names.

Strange, I had a gay friend in high school, he was okay. He knew I didn't like his "lifestyle" but we got along just fine. Even made jokes about it, lol "I'm gonna give you the gay germ!" "Ewwwwwww, I'm going to get the gayness!" <-TIS A JOKE for those who can't tell the difference.

Oh, and that "50% of all people divorce":
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...93AA25757C0A9639C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1
http://www.divorcemag.com/statistics/statsUS.shtml
Please back up numbers, don't spout things, makes the discussion worse. Provide back-up!

Last edited:
I think that all of the gays and lesbians should be cast away and sent to an abandoned island. Then we wouldn't have to put up with their beliefs and have to put up with them ranting on and on about "gay pride". Then they could spread their beliefs all they want without corrupting the innocent.

I didin't know you could be tha cold man, they're people too I know a lot of gay/lesbian people in my school some of them have saved my ass a bunch of times. They're still epople and they have every right to decide what they want to do, I don't really see any problem in gay marriege siance I kinda don't really care I mean they love each other sure, get married I don't see any problem at all really some people just wanna follow what I call the old times

Wow this forum has seemed to change from "What are your beliefs on gay marriage" to Lets all spread our beliefs about how everyone should be gay and bash Nido just because he's "different"

EDIT: also I have not been spewing hatred I mean I'm sorry if everyone just has to quote me but I can not do anything to stop them....nor shall I because I really don't care about any of this.

Wow this forum has seemed to change from "What are your beliefs on gay marriage" to Lets all spread our beliefs about how everyone should be gay and bash Nido just because he's "different"

We're not all spreading beliefs that everyone should be gay, nor are we all bashing you. I do remember making a post that countered two things you said, and remained respectful and was completely ignored by you... http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showpost.php?p=869294&postcount=465 So yeah, I don't think that we "all" have been bashing you.

EDIT: also I have not been spewing hatred I mean I'm sorry if everyone just has to quote me but I can not do anything to stop them....nor shall I because I really don't care about any of this.

How do you expect people to react when you mention that a certain segment of society should be "sent to an abandoned island," or that you have seen gays "turn into good people" because they went to counseling and became un-gay. Given that we have a good number of posters on this forum who are gay and bisexual, your posts struck a nerve. To a group of people who have in many cases have been verbally and physically abused in the real world for being gay, your ideals of sending people off to an island because you perceive who they are as "very nasty and very immoral" might be interpreted or mis-interpreted as "spewing hatred." Whether that was your intention or not (I'll believe you to be honest when you stated that was not the case), others cannot be blamed for feeling threatened by that.

I usually stay out of this forum, but I feel pretty strongly about a lot of these issues, so here I am. My beliefs about homosexuality:

1.) Marriage is a religious union. For my religious beliefs, it is between a man and a woman only.
2.) Hence, the government should not control marriage. I believe if a church wants to marry a gay couple, the law should not stop them, because that would have the government running religion. I personally won't approve of that union, or the fact that the church allows it, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.
3.) Aside from marriage, I believe there is virtually nothing else that separates gays and straights.
4.) The only gays that bother me are the ones who allow being gay to dominate their personality and the ones who are obnoxiously into the whole "gay rights" business to the point where they annoy others and always see bigotry where there isn't any.
5.) I abhor few things more than people who push "tolerance" so far that they ridicule anyone who does not believe in gay marriage, thereby being complete hypocrites. You can't expect people to respect gays if you won't respect them for their beliefs as well.
6.) Following close behind is the double standard held by many straight males, about how gay male couples are gross and lesbian couples are "hot." Or how a girl saying "I'm bisexual" is considered to be the same as saying "sure I'll allow you to simultaneously fornicate with me and another bisexual girl."
7.) Basically, people on both sides are very often ridiculous. There are the people who want everyone to think like they do, and opposing them... are the people who want everyone to think like they do.

7.) Basically, people on both sides are very often ridiculous. There are the people who want everyone to think like they do, and opposing them... are the people who want everyone to think like they do.

I wouldn't care what anyone thinks as long as I had the legal right to live how I wanted to and receive equal treatment from my government.

I see the problem.

Nido's not spewing hatred. He's spewing ignorance. He doesn't understand gay people or even how sexuality works. When you're a baby you don't go "oh ew" about your mom's boobs. They're as "oh ew" as a glass of milk, plain and simple. Heck, when you're a baby, 99% of the world is you and you alone, and you have no idea of the existence of equals to yourself.

Thing is, gay people don't deserve to be "sent to an abandoned island" or anything because like you they're human beings. Human beings deserve rights. What, would you like it if I said "every Republican voter on this forum should be sent to an abandoned island so they can keep their opinions to themselves and not corrupt others". Gee, that'd offend some people.

"We wouldn't have to put up with their beliefs". Gee. How closed-minded of you. Why don't we send everyone away because their beliefs aren't exactly the same as yours. Even my best friend in the world doesn't have the same exact beliefs as I do. Doesn't mean I send them away from me because "I shouldn't have to put up with it". Gay pride is just as harmless as state pride or national pride or pride in being a Pokémon fan. Are you one of those? Are you a Pokémon fan? Are you proud of it? So what's wrong with gay people being proud of what they are?

As for "turning gay", I'd like you to prove that by asking me what day I decided that I was straight. Oh wait, can't do that, because that's "natural". Yes yes, just like wanting to save yourself from dying, right? Except it's not. It's natural to want stuff you can't have as well, doesn't mean that automatically, everyone steals each other's shit. I decided I was straight as much as my philosophy teacher decided he was gay. I like women. Plain and simple. I don't know why I do, I just do. He likes dudes. Great for him. I have as much right to question his preference for men as he does mine for women. And keep this in mind, I don't exactly wanna have kids. So why aren't I just asexual? BECAUSE BOOBS ROCK.

I wasn't raised to believe that gay people are fine. Hell, I had no knowledge of gay people until more or less halfway through high school. Doesn't mean I consider them to be subhuman or wrong. It just is, much like everything else in the world.

Now, here's my stance. Would I ever do a guy? Fuck no. That's nasty and something I would not like to do. Do I care if a guy who wants to with another guy who wants to does it? Go for it. Don't make me watch and I'm fine with it. I have the same stance on old people, as well. Do I wanna do an old person? Hell no. Do I care if they do it? No, not as long as they don't force me to watch it.

Lemme ask you. Are you proud of what you are? Do you deserve the right to express that pride? I'm sure you'd agree that you do. Otherwise you'd better take down your flag, quit rooting for your favorite sports team, stop playing Pokémon, stop worshipping whatever religion you do, and stop being, period. Gay pride parades are just as much a public showing of happiness in being what they are as going to church or any religious worship is a public showing of pride in your beliefs. I proudly display the Illinois flag, proudly pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States, proudly play Pokémon every day on the train, and proudly live my life as who I am, not in confidence of my rightness, but just happy in being myself. Does not everyone deserve that right? Sure, I've had my share of dickheaded rants where I pretty much say "fuck you" to everyone who doesn't agree with me completely, but that's mostly out of frustration that things are so screwed up in the world, and really just an absolute stupidity on my part because I can't maintain my calm. But I never really think that stupid people should be banned from the world. That's just physically impossible to do!

So to close, what do I think? I think everyone should be happy with who they are. Also, "ex-gay therapy" doesn't exist any more than therapy exists to make a priest permanently celibate. You can convince yourself not to get a boner when you see a hot girl, doesn't mean you're celibate. You can convince yourself to like women if you're gay and your fear of "God" gets the best of you. You can convince yourself that your job is worth keeping even though your salary is shit and the customers are assholes and your coworkers are morons. As a human being, you can convince yourself of a lot of shit. But it doesn't make it true, doesn't make it any truer than the existence of Pokémon. I can say "I have two Lucario with me", but really, what have I got aside from a long string of 0's and 1's that resolves to data for them; data as meaningless in reality as the data that goes into ads.

So really, Nido, open your mind up. Think about what you're saying. You don't have to go fuck guys if you don't swing that way, and no little boys are gonna be convinced to, because hell, I wasn't. If you can't convince little kids that eating bees is a good idea despite being stung by them, you can't convince them either to be gay or straight, or bi, or any other thing. All you can convince kids of is their own fears. You teach your kid that "ooh Satan's gonna keel you if you steal" then the kid's gonna be scared to steal. You teach your kid that "stealing is wrong because you wouldn't want it to happen to you", they won't be scared of it, they'll understand that other human beings don't want their crap taken any more than the kid wants his or her crap taken. You were taught "ooh, gayness is evil evil evil and wrong because it doesn't make babies", I was taught "hey, respect other human beings for being human beings". I don't wanna do a guy any more than you do, but my reason is because women are awesome and nothing more. Yours? Sure, it could be because you have an attraction to women like I do, but you still have that other reason, that "being gay is EVIL and WRONG". I suppose that summing it up at this point would be a good thing, just in case it gets to TL;DR, but if you take away anything from this, let it be this:

If you're walking down the street, do you not attack the other guy walking next to you because:
A: it's not a nice thing to do
B: he might have a weapon

Now, in this case, you would be picking both. Why? Because of being both anti-gay and heterosexual, you like women because you just do, and you don't wanna be gay because "it's wrong". Me, I personally don't attack a guy because it's not nice to do, while those who are "ex-gay" would in this instance be not attacking because he doesn't have a weapon. Get what I'm saying?

As for my opinion, I think gays/homosexuals should have some sort of right of "commitment to a relationship" to each other. If marriage should only be limited for a man/woman definition-wise, then make up something else for gays to commit their relationship to. I guess this is basically how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom